Re: [midatlanticretro] TokenRing cards and MAUs

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 2007
      No, the MAU is for many network types, including Ethernet. See section
      8.1.1 and 8.1.1.1 of IEEE 802.3. The AUI is discussed in section 7, but is
      basically the D connector for all practical purposes. Many older ethernet
      cards had the AUI connector and you had to get your own MAU for whatever
      medium you wanted to connect with.

      I don't have any token ring stuff at all; I've always been at Ethernet
      and/or FDDI environments. We have thick coax at one place, then slowly
      evolved to thin, then finally to twisted pair. What fun!

      Bob

      From: Bob Applegate
      <bob@applegate. org>