TokenRing cards and MAUs

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 2007
      Bob,

      Just to make sure we have our wires straight - MAUs are for TokenRing, not Ethernet. Some TokenRing cards have a D-connector that can look like an AUI connector. Please bring any TokenRing cards (any bus) and any MAUs to InfoAge. Setting up a TR network using some of Mark's OS/2 stuff would be fun! If the Ethernet cards are AUI only, then I'm not interested, although someday I would like to set up a segmant of thick Ethernet at the museum so people can see where local area networks started.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 25, 2007
        No, the MAU is for many network types, including Ethernet. See section
        8.1.1 and 8.1.1.1 of IEEE 802.3. The AUI is discussed in section 7, but is
        basically the D connector for all practical purposes. Many older ethernet
        cards had the AUI connector and you had to get your own MAU for whatever
        medium you wanted to connect with.

        I don't have any token ring stuff at all; I've always been at Ethernet
        and/or FDDI environments. We have thick coax at one place, then slowly
        evolved to thin, then finally to twisted pair. What fun!

        Bob

        I'm trying to thin my collection of old 386
        machines, ISA cards, etc. At work

        we're also trashing some ISA network
        cards.

        This stuff might not be appropriate for the list,
        so please pardon this post. If

        anyone is interested, email me directly: bob@applegate.
        org

        Bob

        <!--

        #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99%
        arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;}
        #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
        #ygrp-text{
        font-family:Georgia;