Re: [midatlanticretro] Wha's our cut-off age for "retro"?

  • William Pechter
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
      I think I have an IBM 8515 (IIRC) anyone who wants it can have it.
      It's really fuzzy (convergence ? maybe)...

      Bill

      --- John Allain <allain@...> wrote:

      > > Sorry, no PS/2 {monitors}s.
      >
      > If there really is a need for stock VGA monitors I can probably
      > get an average of 4 working ones a month, knowing the local
      > scrappers. IE not a problem.
      > About 1 in 15 I see are IBM branded CGA or PS/2.
      >
      > John A.

      Bill Pechter
      Lakewood MicroSystems
      732-931-0070 (voice)
      877-661-2126 (fax)
    • ysgdhio
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
        > I'll buy you a beer next time you emerge from your bat-cave.

        I'm not really that into beer. How about an Atari cartridge? :-)

        Andy
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
          Which one?

          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
            Ask for Pepsi Invaders! Ask for Pepsi Invaders!!! LOL!!! :-D

            (PS - There's one on flea-bay for $1500 starting bid currently... he he he)

            > I'll buy you a beer next time you emerge from your bat-cave.

            I'm not really that into beer. How about an Atari cartridge? :-)

            Andy

            ------------ --------- --- Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ------------ --------~ --> See
            what's inside the new Yahoo! Groups email.
            http://us.click. yahoo.com/ 0It09A/bOaOAA/ yQLSAA/S_ NqlB/TM
            ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -~->

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • ysgdhio
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
              On 2/25/07, Timothy J Fagan <tfagan@...> wrote:
              > Ask for Pepsi Invaders! Ask for Pepsi Invaders!!! LOL!!! :-D

              Even if I thought he had it, I've played it and rate it a "meh".
              I was thinking either Keystone Kapers or Miner 2049er. :)

              Andy
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                Don't underestimate my connections in the vintage gaming world. I've got
                peeps who know peeps!

                http://us.click.yahoo.com/hOt0.A/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM
                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                  I think it was Andy who observed, waaaaay back when, that retro actually means "something new that evokes something old" ... we (okay, I) just bent the definition because it's easier to pronounce MARCH than MAVCH.  The former rolls off the tongue.  The latter implies that V is for vomit.  Anyway, I believe almost anything 286 or newer is off-topic, and my opinion carries its weight around here.  :)

                  (Having said that, I like to remind people that MARCH isn't "my" group.  It's yours.  Some morons just let me drive.)

                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 25, 2007
                    >> BTW, I know a lot of guys who worked on OS/2, and I interviewed with
                    >> that group at
                    >> one point.
                    >
                    > In Austin or when it was in Boca? I only know a few of the people from
                    > Austin.

                    No, it was when OS/2 was still a Microsloth product!

                    Last night I stumbled upon my July 1987 issue of Dr Dobb's with the
                    skeleton sitting in front of a computer with an OS/2 shirt on. One can
                    of Jolt wasn't enough apparently.

                    Bob
                  • Dan
                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 25, 2007
                      My friend's dad had a computer store in the early 80's and we made
                      T-shirts to hand out as a promo.
                      Luckily his dad had a good sense of humor [or he didn't know we ordered
                      them].
                      We all walked around the city with the store logo on the back and on the
                      front it said "BYTE ME".

                      =Dan

                      Bob Applegate wrote:

                      > I had a T-shirt made for one guy that said:
                      >
                      > What are we waiting for? OS/2!
                      > When will will get it? REALY SOON!

                    • Timothy J Fagan
                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 25, 2007
                        Hi Andy,

                        I was just going for the 'value' angle here. However, if you ever get a PI and want to trade it for a KK or a M2 - I'll be more than happy to hook you up!

                        ;-D

                        --Timster--

                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 25, 2007
                          If you've got some connections to reasonably priced, rare Atari carts - you've got my attention! I've got over 200 carts, but none that are too rare. I just picked up Chase the Chuckwagon and Beat 'Em & Eat 'Em in an auction the other day. CCW will probably now be my rarest cart. :-)

                          --Timster--

                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 25, 2007
                            I will keep your email. I don't need it quite yet, unless you're giving it
                            away because otherwise you'd be throwing it away. I have a number of other
                            systems to work on first, it will take a while before I get to the 6300 again.
                            Thanks.
                            Bill