Re: List message 5,000! was: / RE: [midatlanticretro] Wha's our cut-off age for "retro"?

  • Bryan Pope
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
      ysgdhio wrote:
      > On 2/24/07, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Andy's message below is number 5,000!
      >>

      > Cool! What do I win? :-)

      How about a C= 1670 modem? In its original packaging? :-D

      Cheers,

      Bryan
    • madodel
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
        Bob Applegate wrote:
        > Sorry, no PS/2s.
        >
        > Yes, I have 2 or 3 no-name VGA monitors, but do you mean EGA? I think
        > we posted
        > one of the old 14" VGAs onto a freecycle list this morning. Once I get
        > a small LCD
        > for the servers, then another CRT will be available.

        I also have a few non-IBM VGA monitors, including an old Gateway, but what
        I would like are some IBM monitors that would be more historically
        appropriate for the PS/2 machines. I keep meaning to check with my local
        electronic recycling center to see if they have any IBM monitors or maybe
        even a PS/2 machine. People are junking this stuff every day and it was
        built to last unlike the planned-obsolescent stuff they make in China
        now-a-days.

        > BTW, I know a lot of guys who worked on OS/2, and I interviewed with
        > that group at
        > one point.

        In Austin or when it was in Boca? I only know a few of the people from Austin.

        Mark

        --

        From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

        Warpstock 2007 - Where?, http://www.warpstock.org

        http://www.os2voice.org

        Investigation, 1938
      • William Pechter
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
          It's just a standard ISA 4 ports card... don't know if it's Quadram's
          (IIRC) or the 4 ports from AST...

          It's still got the Olivetti box... Picked it up over 15 years ago at
          Trenton and only opened the box to check what was there.

          It's not Olivetti specific, though.

          Bill

          --- "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

          > I have a 6300 on the back burner, unsure if it has this card...what
          > does it
          > look like? If you're going to get rid of it, I would like it for
          > this
          > restoration project.
          > Bill Degnan
          >
          > >I've got one brand new four ports card (Quadlink?) in the box as
          > well.
          > >Anyone looking let me know.
          > >
          > >Dates from the AT&T 6300 I was working with... Never got to need it.

          Bill Pechter
          Lakewood MicroSystems
          732-931-0070 (voice)
          877-661-2126 (fax)
        • William Pechter
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
            I think I have an IBM 8515 (IIRC) anyone who wants it can have it.
            It's really fuzzy (convergence ? maybe)...

            Bill

            --- John Allain <allain@...> wrote:

            > > Sorry, no PS/2 {monitors}s.
            >
            > If there really is a need for stock VGA monitors I can probably
            > get an average of 4 working ones a month, knowing the local
            > scrappers. IE not a problem.
            > About 1 in 15 I see are IBM branded CGA or PS/2.
            >
            > John A.

            Bill Pechter
            Lakewood MicroSystems
            732-931-0070 (voice)
            877-661-2126 (fax)
          • ysgdhio
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
              > I'll buy you a beer next time you emerge from your bat-cave.

              I'm not really that into beer. How about an Atari cartridge? :-)

              Andy
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                Which one?

                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                  Ask for Pepsi Invaders! Ask for Pepsi Invaders!!! LOL!!! :-D

                  (PS - There's one on flea-bay for $1500 starting bid currently... he he he)

                  > I'll buy you a beer next time you emerge from your bat-cave.

                  I'm not really that into beer. How about an Atari cartridge? :-)

                  Andy

                  ------------ --------- --- Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ------------ --------~ --> See
                  what's inside the new Yahoo! Groups email.
                  http://us.click. yahoo.com/ 0It09A/bOaOAA/ yQLSAA/S_ NqlB/TM
                  ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -~->

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • ysgdhio
                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                    On 2/25/07, Timothy J Fagan <tfagan@...> wrote:
                    > Ask for Pepsi Invaders! Ask for Pepsi Invaders!!! LOL!!! :-D

                    Even if I thought he had it, I've played it and rate it a "meh".
                    I was thinking either Keystone Kapers or Miner 2049er. :)

                    Andy
                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                      Don't underestimate my connections in the vintage gaming world. I've got
                      peeps who know peeps!

                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/hOt0.A/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM
                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                        I think it was Andy who observed, waaaaay back when, that retro actually means "something new that evokes something old" ... we (okay, I) just bent the definition because it's easier to pronounce MARCH than MAVCH.  The former rolls off the tongue.  The latter implies that V is for vomit.  Anyway, I believe almost anything 286 or newer is off-topic, and my opinion carries its weight around here.  :)

                        (Having said that, I like to remind people that MARCH isn't "my" group.  It's yours.  Some morons just let me drive.)

                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 25, 2007
                          >> BTW, I know a lot of guys who worked on OS/2, and I interviewed with
                          >> that group at
                          >> one point.
                          >
                          > In Austin or when it was in Boca? I only know a few of the people from
                          > Austin.

                          No, it was when OS/2 was still a Microsloth product!

                          Last night I stumbled upon my July 1987 issue of Dr Dobb's with the
                          skeleton sitting in front of a computer with an OS/2 shirt on. One can
                          of Jolt wasn't enough apparently.

                          Bob
                        • Dan
                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 25, 2007
                            My friend's dad had a computer store in the early 80's and we made
                            T-shirts to hand out as a promo.
                            Luckily his dad had a good sense of humor [or he didn't know we ordered
                            them].
                            We all walked around the city with the store logo on the back and on the
                            front it said "BYTE ME".

                            =Dan

                            Bob Applegate wrote:

                            > I had a T-shirt made for one guy that said:
                            >
                            > What are we waiting for? OS/2!
                            > When will will get it? REALY SOON!

                          • Timothy J Fagan
                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 25, 2007
                              Hi Andy,

                              I was just going for the 'value' angle here. However, if you ever get a PI and want to trade it for a KK or a M2 - I'll be more than happy to hook you up!

                              ;-D

                              --Timster--

                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 25, 2007
                                If you've got some connections to reasonably priced, rare Atari carts - you've got my attention! I've got over 200 carts, but none that are too rare. I just picked up Chase the Chuckwagon and Beat 'Em & Eat 'Em in an auction the other day. CCW will probably now be my rarest cart. :-)

                                --Timster--

                                Message 15 of 28 , Feb 25, 2007
                                  I will keep your email. I don't need it quite yet, unless you're giving it
                                  away because otherwise you'd be throwing it away. I have a number of other
                                  systems to work on first, it will take a while before I get to the 6300 again.
                                  Thanks.
                                  Bill