Re: [midatlanticretro] Wha's our cut-off age for "retro"?

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
      If anyone wants a "firewall construction set" let me know ASAP... I'm about
      to toss a perfectly good (?) 386 system into the trash.

      One other odd thing I found is a 4-port ISA serial card.  We used this computer
      and card for a major ham radio IP node in the mid/late 90s.  It's been sitting on
      a shelf for sentimental reasons, but other collections are growing and need the
      room!

      Bob

      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
        Sorry, no PS/2s.

        Yes, I have 2 or 3 no-name VGA monitors, but do you mean EGA?  I think we posted
        one of the old 14" VGAs onto a freecycle list this morning.  Once I get a small LCD
        for the servers, then another CRT will be available.

        BTW, I know a lot of guys who worked on OS/2, and I interviewed with that group at
        one point.  I had a T-shirt made for one guy that said:

           What are we waiting for?  OS/2!
           When will will get it?  REALY SOON!

        Apologies to Lord John Worfin.

        Bob

        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
          I've got one brand new four ports card (Quadlink?) in the box as well.
          Anyone looking let me know.

          Dates from the AT&T 6300 I was working with... Never got to need it.

          I've also got about 10 ISA network cards and a pile of SCSI cards...
          1542 Adaptecs and such.

          As far as "Firewall Construction Set" -- right now my minimum box for a
          firewall is a PII400 with 256 memory.

          Overkill -- a bit -- but it runs IPCOP and does web filtering (Dans
          Guardian) and web cache (Squid) for my house keeping my kid out of
          trouble.

          It also interfaces my pair of wireless access points.

          There's a number of FreeBSD/Linux/OpenBSD/NetBSD firewall pieces out
          there and some pretty full implementations with web control panels.

          I really like the IPCOP, Smoothwall, MonoWall and ClarkConnect
          distribuitions.

          The neatest thing I saw was the old GTA GnatBox free firewall floppy.
          I haven't tried their newer versions.

          Bill
          --- Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:

          > If anyone wants a "firewall construction set" let me know ASAP... I'm
          > about
          > to toss a perfectly good (?) 386 system into the trash.
          >
          > One other odd thing I found is a 4-port ISA serial card. We used
          > this computer
          > and card for a major ham radio IP node in the mid/late 90s. It's
          > been sitting on
          > a shelf for sentimental reasons, but other collections are growing
          > and need the
          > room!
          >
          > Bob

          Bill Pechter
          Lakewood MicroSystems
          732-931-0070 (voice)
          877-661-2126 (fax)
        • John Allain
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
            > Sorry, no PS/2 {monitors}s.

            If there really is a need for stock VGA monitors I can probably
            get an average of 4 working ones a month, knowing the local
            scrappers. IE not a problem.
            About 1 in 15 I see are IBM branded CGA or PS/2.

            John A.
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
              I have a 6300 on the back burner, unsure if it has this card...what does it
              look like? If you're going to get rid of it, I would like it for this
              restoration project.
              Bill Degnan

              >I've got one brand new four ports card (Quadlink?) in the box as well.
              >Anyone looking let me know.
              >
              >Dates from the AT&T 6300 I was working with... Never got to need it.
            • Bryan Pope
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                ysgdhio wrote:
                > On 2/24/07, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Andy's message below is number 5,000!
                >>

                > Cool! What do I win? :-)

                How about a C= 1670 modem? In its original packaging? :-D

                Cheers,

                Bryan
              • madodel
                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                  Bob Applegate wrote:
                  > Sorry, no PS/2s.
                  >
                  > Yes, I have 2 or 3 no-name VGA monitors, but do you mean EGA? I think
                  > we posted
                  > one of the old 14" VGAs onto a freecycle list this morning. Once I get
                  > a small LCD
                  > for the servers, then another CRT will be available.

                  I also have a few non-IBM VGA monitors, including an old Gateway, but what
                  I would like are some IBM monitors that would be more historically
                  appropriate for the PS/2 machines. I keep meaning to check with my local
                  electronic recycling center to see if they have any IBM monitors or maybe
                  even a PS/2 machine. People are junking this stuff every day and it was
                  built to last unlike the planned-obsolescent stuff they make in China
                  now-a-days.

                  > BTW, I know a lot of guys who worked on OS/2, and I interviewed with
                  > that group at
                  > one point.

                  In Austin or when it was in Boca? I only know a few of the people from Austin.

                  Mark

                  --

                  From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

                  Warpstock 2007 - Where?, http://www.warpstock.org

                  http://www.os2voice.org

                  Investigation, 1938
                • William Pechter
                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                    It's just a standard ISA 4 ports card... don't know if it's Quadram's
                    (IIRC) or the 4 ports from AST...

                    It's still got the Olivetti box... Picked it up over 15 years ago at
                    Trenton and only opened the box to check what was there.

                    It's not Olivetti specific, though.

                    Bill

                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                      I think I have an IBM 8515 (IIRC) anyone who wants it can have it.
                      It's really fuzzy (convergence ? maybe)...

                      Bill

                      --- John Allain <allain@...> wrote:

                      > > Sorry, no PS/2 {monitors}s.
                      >
                      > If there really is a need for stock VGA monitors I can probably
                      > get an average of 4 working ones a month, knowing the local
                      > scrappers. IE not a problem.
                      > About 1 in 15 I see are IBM branded CGA or PS/2.
                      >
                      > John A.

                      Bill Pechter
                      Lakewood MicroSystems
                      732-931-0070 (voice)
                      877-661-2126 (fax)
                    • ysgdhio
                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                        > I'll buy you a beer next time you emerge from your bat-cave.

                        I'm not really that into beer. How about an Atari cartridge? :-)

                        Andy
                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                          Which one?

                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                            Ask for Pepsi Invaders! Ask for Pepsi Invaders!!! LOL!!! :-D

                            (PS - There's one on flea-bay for $1500 starting bid currently... he he he)

                            > I'll buy you a beer next time you emerge from your bat-cave.

                            I'm not really that into beer. How about an Atari cartridge? :-)

                            Andy

                            ------------ --------- --- Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ------------ --------~ --> See
                            what's inside the new Yahoo! Groups email.
                            http://us.click. yahoo.com/ 0It09A/bOaOAA/ yQLSAA/S_ NqlB/TM
                            ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -~->

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • ysgdhio
                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                              On 2/25/07, Timothy J Fagan <tfagan@...> wrote:
                              > Ask for Pepsi Invaders! Ask for Pepsi Invaders!!! LOL!!! :-D

                              Even if I thought he had it, I've played it and rate it a "meh".
                              I was thinking either Keystone Kapers or Miner 2049er. :)

                              Andy
                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                                Don't underestimate my connections in the vintage gaming world. I've got
                                peeps who know peeps!

                                http://us.click.yahoo.com/hOt0.A/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM
                                Message 15 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                                  I think it was Andy who observed, waaaaay back when, that retro actually means "something new that evokes something old" ... we (okay, I) just bent the definition because it's easier to pronounce MARCH than MAVCH.  The former rolls off the tongue.  The latter implies that V is for vomit.  Anyway, I believe almost anything 286 or newer is off-topic, and my opinion carries its weight around here.  :)

                                  (Having said that, I like to remind people that MARCH isn't "my" group.  It's yours.  Some morons just let me drive.)

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Feb 25, 2007
                                    >> BTW, I know a lot of guys who worked on OS/2, and I interviewed with
                                    >> that group at
                                    >> one point.
                                    >
                                    > In Austin or when it was in Boca? I only know a few of the people from
                                    > Austin.

                                    No, it was when OS/2 was still a Microsloth product!

                                    Last night I stumbled upon my July 1987 issue of Dr Dobb's with the
                                    skeleton sitting in front of a computer with an OS/2 shirt on. One can
                                    of Jolt wasn't enough apparently.

                                    Bob
                                  • Dan
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Feb 25, 2007
                                      My friend's dad had a computer store in the early 80's and we made
                                      T-shirts to hand out as a promo.
                                      Luckily his dad had a good sense of humor [or he didn't know we ordered
                                      them].
                                      We all walked around the city with the store logo on the back and on the
                                      front it said "BYTE ME".

                                      =Dan

                                      Bob Applegate wrote:

                                      > I had a T-shirt made for one guy that said:
                                      >
                                      > What are we waiting for? OS/2!
                                      > When will will get it? REALY SOON!

                                    • Timothy J Fagan
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Feb 25, 2007
                                        Hi Andy,

                                        I was just going for the 'value' angle here. However, if you ever get a PI and want to trade it for a KK or a M2 - I'll be more than happy to hook you up!

                                        ;-D

                                        --Timster--

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Feb 25, 2007
                                          If you've got some connections to reasonably priced, rare Atari carts - you've got my attention! I've got over 200 carts, but none that are too rare. I just picked up Chase the Chuckwagon and Beat 'Em & Eat 'Em in an auction the other day. CCW will probably now be my rarest cart. :-)

                                          --Timster--

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Feb 25, 2007
                                            I will keep your email. I don't need it quite yet, unless you're giving it
                                            away because otherwise you'd be throwing it away. I have a number of other
                                            systems to work on first, it will take a while before I get to the 6300 again.
                                            Thanks.
                                            Bill