RE: List message 5,000! was: / RE: [midatlanticretro] Wha's our cut-off age for "retro"?

    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 24 1:16 PM
      I'll buy you a beer next time you emerge from your bat-cave.

      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 24 3:14 PM
        I have 3 or 4 ethernet cards at work with AUI connectors.  The MAUs are sitting
        on my desk; assuming the IT department doesn't want them, they are all available.
        I'll put the cards and MAUs aside on Monday morning.

        Sorry, no token ring!

        Bob

        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 24 3:16 PM
          If anyone wants a "firewall construction set" let me know ASAP... I'm about
          to toss a perfectly good (?) 386 system into the trash.

          One other odd thing I found is a 4-port ISA serial card.  We used this computer
          and card for a major ham radio IP node in the mid/late 90s.  It's been sitting on
          a shelf for sentimental reasons, but other collections are growing and need the
          room!

          Bob

          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 24 3:22 PM
            Sorry, no PS/2s.

            Yes, I have 2 or 3 no-name VGA monitors, but do you mean EGA?  I think we posted
            one of the old 14" VGAs onto a freecycle list this morning.  Once I get a small LCD
            for the servers, then another CRT will be available.

            BTW, I know a lot of guys who worked on OS/2, and I interviewed with that group at
            one point.  I had a T-shirt made for one guy that said:

               What are we waiting for?  OS/2!
               When will will get it?  REALY SOON!

            Apologies to Lord John Worfin.

            Bob

            > I'm trying to thin my collection of old 386 machines, ISA cards, etc.
            > At work
            > we're also trashing some ISA network cards.
            >
            > This stuff might not be appropriate for the list, so please pardon this
            > post. If
            > anyone is interested, email me directly: bob@applegate. org
            > <mailto:bob@applegate. org>
            >
            > Bob

            Any of these IBM PS/2s? If so and especially if they have an MCA bus I
            might be able to use them for the OS/2 collection. Do you have any old VGA
            monitors you are looking to get rid of a long with these?

            Mark

            --

            >From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

            Warpstock 2007 - Where?, http://www.warpstoc k.org
            Warpstock Europe - http://www.warpstoc k.net

            http://www.os2voice .org

            Investigation, 1938

          • William Pechter
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 24 7:14 PM
              I've got one brand new four ports card (Quadlink?) in the box as well.
              Anyone looking let me know.

              Dates from the AT&T 6300 I was working with... Never got to need it.

              I've also got about 10 ISA network cards and a pile of SCSI cards...
              1542 Adaptecs and such.

              As far as "Firewall Construction Set" -- right now my minimum box for a
              firewall is a PII400 with 256 memory.

              Overkill -- a bit -- but it runs IPCOP and does web filtering (Dans
              Guardian) and web cache (Squid) for my house keeping my kid out of
              trouble.

              It also interfaces my pair of wireless access points.

              There's a number of FreeBSD/Linux/OpenBSD/NetBSD firewall pieces out
              there and some pretty full implementations with web control panels.

              I really like the IPCOP, Smoothwall, MonoWall and ClarkConnect
              distribuitions.

              The neatest thing I saw was the old GTA GnatBox free firewall floppy.
              I haven't tried their newer versions.

              Bill
              --- Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:

              > If anyone wants a "firewall construction set" let me know ASAP... I'm
              > about
              > to toss a perfectly good (?) 386 system into the trash.
              >
              > One other odd thing I found is a 4-port ISA serial card. We used
              > this computer
              > and card for a major ham radio IP node in the mid/late 90s. It's
              > been sitting on
              > a shelf for sentimental reasons, but other collections are growing
              > and need the
              > room!
              >
              > Bob

              Bill Pechter
              Lakewood MicroSystems
              732-931-0070 (voice)
              877-661-2126 (fax)
            • John Allain
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 24 7:26 PM
                > Sorry, no PS/2 {monitors}s.

                If there really is a need for stock VGA monitors I can probably
                get an average of 4 working ones a month, knowing the local
                scrappers. IE not a problem.
                About 1 in 15 I see are IBM branded CGA or PS/2.

                John A.
                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 24 7:32 PM
                  I have a 6300 on the back burner, unsure if it has this card...what does it
                  look like? If you're going to get rid of it, I would like it for this
                  restoration project.
                  Bill Degnan

                  >I've got one brand new four ports card (Quadlink?) in the box as well.
                  >Anyone looking let me know.
                  >
                  >Dates from the AT&T 6300 I was working with... Never got to need it.
                • Bryan Pope
                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 24 7:44 PM
                    ysgdhio wrote:
                    > On 2/24/07, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Andy's message below is number 5,000!
                    >>

                    > Cool! What do I win? :-)

                    How about a C= 1670 modem? In its original packaging? :-D

                    Cheers,

                    Bryan
                  • madodel
                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 24 8:08 PM
                      Bob Applegate wrote:
                      > Sorry, no PS/2s.
                      >
                      > Yes, I have 2 or 3 no-name VGA monitors, but do you mean EGA? I think
                      > we posted
                      > one of the old 14" VGAs onto a freecycle list this morning. Once I get
                      > a small LCD
                      > for the servers, then another CRT will be available.

                      I also have a few non-IBM VGA monitors, including an old Gateway, but what
                      I would like are some IBM monitors that would be more historically
                      appropriate for the PS/2 machines. I keep meaning to check with my local
                      electronic recycling center to see if they have any IBM monitors or maybe
                      even a PS/2 machine. People are junking this stuff every day and it was
                      built to last unlike the planned-obsolescent stuff they make in China
                      now-a-days.

                      > BTW, I know a lot of guys who worked on OS/2, and I interviewed with
                      > that group at
                      > one point.

                      In Austin or when it was in Boca? I only know a few of the people from Austin.

                      Mark

                      --

                      From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

                      Warpstock 2007 - Where?, http://www.warpstock.org

                      http://www.os2voice.org

                      Investigation, 1938
                    • William Pechter
                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 24 8:57 PM
                        It's just a standard ISA 4 ports card... don't know if it's Quadram's
                        (IIRC) or the 4 ports from AST...

                        It's still got the Olivetti box... Picked it up over 15 years ago at
                        Trenton and only opened the box to check what was there.

                        It's not Olivetti specific, though.

                        Bill

                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 24 8:59 PM
                          I think I have an IBM 8515 (IIRC) anyone who wants it can have it.
                          It's really fuzzy (convergence ? maybe)...

                          Bill

                          --- John Allain <allain@...> wrote:

                          > > Sorry, no PS/2 {monitors}s.
                          >
                          > If there really is a need for stock VGA monitors I can probably
                          > get an average of 4 working ones a month, knowing the local
                          > scrappers. IE not a problem.
                          > About 1 in 15 I see are IBM branded CGA or PS/2.
                          >
                          > John A.

                          Bill Pechter
                          Lakewood MicroSystems
                          732-931-0070 (voice)
                          877-661-2126 (fax)
                        • ysgdhio
                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 24 9:15 PM
                            > I'll buy you a beer next time you emerge from your bat-cave.

                            I'm not really that into beer. How about an Atari cartridge? :-)

                            Andy
                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 24 9:29 PM
                              Which one?

                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 24 9:34 PM
                                Ask for Pepsi Invaders! Ask for Pepsi Invaders!!! LOL!!! :-D

                                (PS - There's one on flea-bay for $1500 starting bid currently... he he he)

                                > I'll buy you a beer next time you emerge from your bat-cave.

                                I'm not really that into beer. How about an Atari cartridge? :-)

                                Andy

                                ------------ --------- --- Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ------------ --------~ --> See
                                what's inside the new Yahoo! Groups email.
                                http://us.click. yahoo.com/ 0It09A/bOaOAA/ yQLSAA/S_ NqlB/TM
                                ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -~->

                                Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • ysgdhio
                                Message 15 of 28 , Feb 24 9:56 PM
                                  On 2/25/07, Timothy J Fagan <tfagan@...> wrote:
                                  > Ask for Pepsi Invaders! Ask for Pepsi Invaders!!! LOL!!! :-D

                                  Even if I thought he had it, I've played it and rate it a "meh".
                                  I was thinking either Keystone Kapers or Miner 2049er. :)

                                  Andy
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Feb 24 10:09 PM
                                    Don't underestimate my connections in the vintage gaming world. I've got
                                    peeps who know peeps!

                                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/hOt0.A/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Feb 24 10:25 PM
                                      I think it was Andy who observed, waaaaay back when, that retro actually means "something new that evokes something old" ... we (okay, I) just bent the definition because it's easier to pronounce MARCH than MAVCH.  The former rolls off the tongue.  The latter implies that V is for vomit.  Anyway, I believe almost anything 286 or newer is off-topic, and my opinion carries its weight around here.  :)

                                      (Having said that, I like to remind people that MARCH isn't "my" group.  It's yours.  Some morons just let me drive.)

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Feb 25 5:22 AM
                                        >> BTW, I know a lot of guys who worked on OS/2, and I interviewed with
                                        >> that group at
                                        >> one point.
                                        >
                                        > In Austin or when it was in Boca? I only know a few of the people from
                                        > Austin.

                                        No, it was when OS/2 was still a Microsloth product!

                                        Last night I stumbled upon my July 1987 issue of Dr Dobb's with the
                                        skeleton sitting in front of a computer with an OS/2 shirt on. One can
                                        of Jolt wasn't enough apparently.

                                        Bob
                                      • Dan
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Feb 25 7:25 AM
                                          My friend's dad had a computer store in the early 80's and we made
                                          T-shirts to hand out as a promo.
                                          Luckily his dad had a good sense of humor [or he didn't know we ordered
                                          them].
                                          We all walked around the city with the store logo on the back and on the
                                          front it said "BYTE ME".

                                          =Dan

                                          Bob Applegate wrote:

                                          > I had a T-shirt made for one guy that said:
                                          >
                                          > What are we waiting for? OS/2!
                                          > When will will get it? REALY SOON!

                                        • Timothy J Fagan
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Feb 25 9:56 AM
                                            Hi Andy,

                                            I was just going for the 'value' angle here. However, if you ever get a PI and want to trade it for a KK or a M2 - I'll be more than happy to hook you up!

                                            ;-D

                                            --Timster--

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Feb 25 10:01 AM
                                              If you've got some connections to reasonably priced, rare Atari carts - you've got my attention! I've got over 200 carts, but none that are too rare. I just picked up Chase the Chuckwagon and Beat 'Em & Eat 'Em in an auction the other day. CCW will probably now be my rarest cart. :-)

                                              --Timster--

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Feb 25 4:22 PM
                                                I will keep your email. I don't need it quite yet, unless you're giving it
                                                away because otherwise you'd be throwing it away. I have a number of other
                                                systems to work on first, it will take a while before I get to the 6300 again.
                                                Thanks.
                                                Bill