Re: [midatlanticretro] Wha's our cut-off age for "retro"?

  • madodel
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
      Bob Applegate wrote:
      > I'm trying to thin my collection of old 386 machines, ISA cards, etc.
      > At work
      > we're also trashing some ISA network cards.
      >
      > This stuff might not be appropriate for the list, so please pardon this
      > post. If
      > anyone is interested, email me directly: bob@...
      > <mailto:bob@...>
      >
      > Bob

      Any of these IBM PS/2s? If so and especially if they have an MCA bus I
      might be able to use them for the OS/2 collection. Do you have any old VGA
      monitors you are looking to get rid of a long with these?

      Mark

      --

      From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

      Warpstock 2007 - Where?, http://www.warpstock.org

      http://www.os2voice.org

      Investigation, 1938
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
        The first message in our Yahoo group, on Jan. 18, 2005, was from me
        regarding Trenton. Andy's message below is number 5,000!

        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
          > Andy's message below is number 5,000!

          Cool! What do I win? :-)

          Andy
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
            I'll buy you a beer next time you emerge from your bat-cave.

            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
              I have 3 or 4 ethernet cards at work with AUI connectors.  The MAUs are sitting
              on my desk; assuming the IT department doesn't want them, they are all available.
              I'll put the cards and MAUs aside on Monday morning.

              Sorry, no token ring!

              Bob

              Everyone in the club will have a different answer to this based on their personal interests. The last event we held was a swap meet and the rule was a manufacturing date before 1990. This was entirely approriate for that event but is not a hard rule for the club as a whole. Retro or vintage is in the eye of the beholder. The really hard core people think anything made after the IBM PC was introduced is "too new", so there is a wide range. The point is we all enjoy collecting and working with older computers that are based on obsolete technology. I'm probably the most inclusive person in the club as I enjoy playing with early Windows on 286 and 386 machines which makes some people shudder. I'm also fascinated by computer networking and enjoy learning about everything from NETBIOS to SNA to DECNET to TCP/IP. A high "coolness factor" increases the "vintageness" of a newer machine.

              My first home computer was a genuine IBM XT, so I have no experience with pre-DOS machines. However, my computing experience goes back to FORTRAN programming on punch cards in college in 1964. In the early 70's I used GE timesharing on a Model 33 teletype running 110 baud (300 cost too much). So my interests lie more with big iron. Right now I'm working on restoring/configuri ng a micro-VAX that was probably manufactured in the early 90's. This is obviously obsolete technology despite the year and the all text mono terminals make for high coolness. This will become part of our museum.

              What kind of network are the ISA cards you're trashing at work? We need some Tokenring cards of all bus flavors as well as the MAU devices that functioned like a hub on a Tokenring network. Examples of ArcNet cards would be welcome and we will undoubtedly need some ISA Ethernet cards at some point - both 8-bit and 16-bit bus. I have one or two StarLAN cards (full length 8-bit ISA) but no drivers or hubs. I also have some IBM PC Network (broadband network) cards but no other hardware or software. Someday I would like to be able to document or even demonstrate all of these technologies at our museum, so we need to accumulate the bits and pieces whenever we can.

              Jim

              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                If anyone wants a "firewall construction set" let me know ASAP... I'm about
                to toss a perfectly good (?) 386 system into the trash.

                One other odd thing I found is a 4-port ISA serial card.  We used this computer
                and card for a major ham radio IP node in the mid/late 90s.  It's been sitting on
                a shelf for sentimental reasons, but other collections are growing and need the
                room!

                Bob

                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                  Sorry, no PS/2s.

                  Yes, I have 2 or 3 no-name VGA monitors, but do you mean EGA?  I think we posted
                  one of the old 14" VGAs onto a freecycle list this morning.  Once I get a small LCD
                  for the servers, then another CRT will be available.

                  BTW, I know a lot of guys who worked on OS/2, and I interviewed with that group at
                  one point.  I had a T-shirt made for one guy that said:

                     What are we waiting for?  OS/2!
                     When will will get it?  REALY SOON!

                  Apologies to Lord John Worfin.

                  Bob

                  > I'm trying to thin my collection of old 386 machines, ISA cards, etc.
                  > At work
                  > we're also trashing some ISA network cards.
                  >
                  > This stuff might not be appropriate for the list, so please pardon this
                  > post. If
                  > anyone is interested, email me directly: bob@applegate. org
                  > <mailto:bob@applegate. org>
                  >
                  > Bob

                  Any of these IBM PS/2s? If so and especially if they have an MCA bus I
                  might be able to use them for the OS/2 collection. Do you have any old VGA
                  monitors you are looking to get rid of a long with these?

                  Mark

                  --

                  >From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

                  Warpstock 2007 - Where?, http://www.warpstoc k.org
                  Warpstock Europe - http://www.warpstoc k.net

                  http://www.os2voice .org

                  Investigation, 1938

                • William Pechter
                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                    I've got one brand new four ports card (Quadlink?) in the box as well.
                    Anyone looking let me know.

                    Dates from the AT&T 6300 I was working with... Never got to need it.

                    I've also got about 10 ISA network cards and a pile of SCSI cards...
                    1542 Adaptecs and such.

                    As far as "Firewall Construction Set" -- right now my minimum box for a
                    firewall is a PII400 with 256 memory.

                    Overkill -- a bit -- but it runs IPCOP and does web filtering (Dans
                    Guardian) and web cache (Squid) for my house keeping my kid out of
                    trouble.

                    It also interfaces my pair of wireless access points.

                    There's a number of FreeBSD/Linux/OpenBSD/NetBSD firewall pieces out
                    there and some pretty full implementations with web control panels.

                    I really like the IPCOP, Smoothwall, MonoWall and ClarkConnect
                    distribuitions.

                    The neatest thing I saw was the old GTA GnatBox free firewall floppy.
                    I haven't tried their newer versions.

                    Bill
                    --- Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:

                    > If anyone wants a "firewall construction set" let me know ASAP... I'm
                    > about
                    > to toss a perfectly good (?) 386 system into the trash.
                    >
                    > One other odd thing I found is a 4-port ISA serial card. We used
                    > this computer
                    > and card for a major ham radio IP node in the mid/late 90s. It's
                    > been sitting on
                    > a shelf for sentimental reasons, but other collections are growing
                    > and need the
                    > room!
                    >
                    > Bob

                    Bill Pechter
                    Lakewood MicroSystems
                    732-931-0070 (voice)
                    877-661-2126 (fax)
                  • John Allain
                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                      > Sorry, no PS/2 {monitors}s.

                      If there really is a need for stock VGA monitors I can probably
                      get an average of 4 working ones a month, knowing the local
                      scrappers. IE not a problem.
                      About 1 in 15 I see are IBM branded CGA or PS/2.

                      John A.
                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                        I have a 6300 on the back burner, unsure if it has this card...what does it
                        look like? If you're going to get rid of it, I would like it for this
                        restoration project.
                        Bill Degnan

                        >I've got one brand new four ports card (Quadlink?) in the box as well.
                        >Anyone looking let me know.
                        >
                        >Dates from the AT&T 6300 I was working with... Never got to need it.
                      • Bryan Pope
                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                          ysgdhio wrote:
                          > On 2/24/07, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> Andy's message below is number 5,000!
                          >>

                          > Cool! What do I win? :-)

                          How about a C= 1670 modem? In its original packaging? :-D

                          Cheers,

                          Bryan
                        • madodel
                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                            Bob Applegate wrote:
                            > Sorry, no PS/2s.
                            >
                            > Yes, I have 2 or 3 no-name VGA monitors, but do you mean EGA? I think
                            > we posted
                            > one of the old 14" VGAs onto a freecycle list this morning. Once I get
                            > a small LCD
                            > for the servers, then another CRT will be available.

                            I also have a few non-IBM VGA monitors, including an old Gateway, but what
                            I would like are some IBM monitors that would be more historically
                            appropriate for the PS/2 machines. I keep meaning to check with my local
                            electronic recycling center to see if they have any IBM monitors or maybe
                            even a PS/2 machine. People are junking this stuff every day and it was
                            built to last unlike the planned-obsolescent stuff they make in China
                            now-a-days.

                            > BTW, I know a lot of guys who worked on OS/2, and I interviewed with
                            > that group at
                            > one point.

                            In Austin or when it was in Boca? I only know a few of the people from Austin.

                            Mark

                            --

                            From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                              It's just a standard ISA 4 ports card... don't know if it's Quadram's
                              (IIRC) or the 4 ports from AST...

                              It's still got the Olivetti box... Picked it up over 15 years ago at
                              Trenton and only opened the box to check what was there.

                              It's not Olivetti specific, though.

                              Bill

                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                                I think I have an IBM 8515 (IIRC) anyone who wants it can have it.
                                It's really fuzzy (convergence ? maybe)...

                                Bill

                                --- John Allain <allain@...> wrote:

                                > > Sorry, no PS/2 {monitors}s.
                                >
                                > If there really is a need for stock VGA monitors I can probably
                                > get an average of 4 working ones a month, knowing the local
                                > scrappers. IE not a problem.
                                > About 1 in 15 I see are IBM branded CGA or PS/2.
                                >
                                > John A.

                                Bill Pechter
                                Lakewood MicroSystems
                                732-931-0070 (voice)
                                877-661-2126 (fax)
                              • ysgdhio
                                Message 15 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                                  > I'll buy you a beer next time you emerge from your bat-cave.

                                  I'm not really that into beer. How about an Atari cartridge? :-)

                                  Andy
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                                    Which one?

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                                      Ask for Pepsi Invaders! Ask for Pepsi Invaders!!! LOL!!! :-D

                                      (PS - There's one on flea-bay for $1500 starting bid currently... he he he)

                                      > I'll buy you a beer next time you emerge from your bat-cave.

                                      I'm not really that into beer. How about an Atari cartridge? :-)

                                      Andy

                                      ------------ --------- --- Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ------------ --------~ --> See
                                      what's inside the new Yahoo! Groups email.
                                      http://us.click. yahoo.com/ 0It09A/bOaOAA/ yQLSAA/S_ NqlB/TM
                                      ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -~->

                                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    • ysgdhio
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                                        On 2/25/07, Timothy J Fagan <tfagan@...> wrote:
                                        > Ask for Pepsi Invaders! Ask for Pepsi Invaders!!! LOL!!! :-D

                                        Even if I thought he had it, I've played it and rate it a "meh".
                                        I was thinking either Keystone Kapers or Miner 2049er. :)

                                        Andy
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                                          Don't underestimate my connections in the vintage gaming world. I've got
                                          peeps who know peeps!

                                          http://us.click.yahoo.com/hOt0.A/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Feb 24, 2007
                                            I think it was Andy who observed, waaaaay back when, that retro actually means "something new that evokes something old" ... we (okay, I) just bent the definition because it's easier to pronounce MARCH than MAVCH.  The former rolls off the tongue.  The latter implies that V is for vomit.  Anyway, I believe almost anything 286 or newer is off-topic, and my opinion carries its weight around here.  :)

                                            (Having said that, I like to remind people that MARCH isn't "my" group.  It's yours.  Some morons just let me drive.)

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Feb 25, 2007
                                              >> BTW, I know a lot of guys who worked on OS/2, and I interviewed with
                                              >> that group at
                                              >> one point.
                                              >
                                              > In Austin or when it was in Boca? I only know a few of the people from
                                              > Austin.

                                              No, it was when OS/2 was still a Microsloth product!

                                              Last night I stumbled upon my July 1987 issue of Dr Dobb's with the
                                              skeleton sitting in front of a computer with an OS/2 shirt on. One can
                                              of Jolt wasn't enough apparently.

                                              Bob
                                            • Dan
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Feb 25, 2007
                                                My friend's dad had a computer store in the early 80's and we made
                                                T-shirts to hand out as a promo.
                                                Luckily his dad had a good sense of humor [or he didn't know we ordered
                                                them].
                                                We all walked around the city with the store logo on the back and on the
                                                front it said "BYTE ME".

                                                =Dan

                                                Bob Applegate wrote:

                                                > I had a T-shirt made for one guy that said:
                                                >
                                                > What are we waiting for? OS/2!
                                                > When will will get it? REALY SOON!

                                              • Timothy J Fagan
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Feb 25, 2007
                                                  Hi Andy,

                                                  I was just going for the 'value' angle here. However, if you ever get a PI and want to trade it for a KK or a M2 - I'll be more than happy to hook you up!

                                                  ;-D

                                                  --Timster--

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Feb 25, 2007
                                                    If you've got some connections to reasonably priced, rare Atari carts - you've got my attention! I've got over 200 carts, but none that are too rare. I just picked up Chase the Chuckwagon and Beat 'Em & Eat 'Em in an auction the other day. CCW will probably now be my rarest cart. :-)

                                                    --Timster--

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Feb 25, 2007
                                                      I will keep your email. I don't need it quite yet, unless you're giving it
                                                      away because otherwise you'd be throwing it away. I have a number of other
                                                      systems to work on first, it will take a while before I get to the 6300 again.
                                                      Thanks.
                                                      Bill