Today's InfoAge report

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 18, 2007
      Today I had some company at the museum -- the open hours are 1-4 but Bill
      Degnan met me at 11. I showed him all the progress made at the campus, and
      then we got working on some computers. We focused on the club's Altair
      8800. We couldn't get anything but gibberish to appear on a monitor, so we
      called Nick Lordi, who lives nearby and donated the computer. Nick came
      over and together he and Bill fixed the problem. Unfortunately the keyboard
      isn't working, but they successfully got a "cutter" prompt (C>) to appear on
      the screen. Nick showed me how to start the computer for when visitors come
      .... everybody likes red LEDs! Seperately, Bill and I played with the
      Kaypro, which works fine. Could use the right CP/M disk however.

      Bill will send his own update (or maybe Nick will) with details about the
      Altair and its need for additional repair.

      - Evan
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 18, 2007
        It's a

        prompt.
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 18, 2007
          I forgot to mention that we tried communicating with the Altair using a
          Tektronix terminal, but the terminal didn't work.

          Neat fact: the co-founder of Tektronix, C. Howard Vollum, was an Army
          officer stationed at our base in the 1940s!

          http://www.infoage.org/oh-howard-vollum.html

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Vollum

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 18, 2007
            My mistake.

            I Googled but couldn't find much about the meaning of "cutter" other than
            its shape ... anyone have a good link?

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 18, 2007
              HI Evan:

              The "cutter" C> IIRC, bears a resemblance to the V shaped piece of
              plastic on a Teletype machine that has a paper tape punch on it. If
              you punch paper tape while the TTY is receiving (or sending) data,
              and you want to keep it for posterity (perhaps to re-send a message,
              or to load data into a computer that reads the TTY port), after the
              punching is done, you can rip the punched tape from the machine,
              using the V shaped thingy to cut the tape.

              Of course, my memory might be mush, but I think I remember something
              like that.

              73 de Ray
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 18, 2007
                try
                processor technology corp cutter
                or
                cutter solos

                bill from port. pc on plane, taxi'ing for takeoff
              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 18, 2007
                  On Sun, 18 Feb 2007, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                  > Seperately, Bill and I played with the Kaypro, which works fine. Could
                  > use the right CP/M disk however.

                  Which Kaypro disk do you need?

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 18, 2007
                    I'm not sure, that's the problem ... we have the master boot-up disk and
                    several application disks ... we can run BASIC ... but we don't have an OS
                    for file management. Determined that when we tried to copy some files.
                    Let's wait for Bill to chime in, he knows better than me. It'll be a while
                    since he presumably is in mid-air right now, en route to Fort Lauderdale.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 19, 2007
                      We have a boot disk, but we don't have the system disk. The application
                      disks are bootable. Don't have things like PIP, etc.
                      bd

                      > On Sun, 18 Feb 2007, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                      >
                      >> Seperately, Bill and I played with the Kaypro, which works fine. Could
                      >> use the right CP/M disk however.
                      >
                      > Which Kaypro disk do you need?
                      >

                      > Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                      > Old Technology http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      -END-
                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 19, 2007
                        On Mon, 19 Feb 2007, B Degnan wrote:

                        > We have a boot disk, but we don't have the system disk. The application
                        > disks are bootable. Don't have things like PIP, etc.

                        Which Kaypro model? I can make copies of most of the Kaypro system
                        disks, or can point you to online disk images.

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 19, 2007
                          Kaypro II

                          (..not 11 :-))

                          I am on the road for a few days, but in my notes I remember a page on
                          classiccmp with directions/tools to create the Kaypro and other boot
                          disks.

                          bd

                          > On Mon, 19 Feb 2007, B Degnan wrote:
                          >
                          >> We have a boot disk, but we don't have the system disk. The application
                          >> disks are bootable. Don't have things like PIP, etc.
                          >
                          > Which Kaypro model? I can make copies of most of the Kaypro system
                          > disks, or can point you to online disk images.
                          >

                          > Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                          > Old Technology http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          -END-
                        • Mike Loewen
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 19, 2007
                            On Mon, 19 Feb 2007, B Degnan wrote:

                            > Kaypro II
                            >
                            > (..not 11 :-))

                            Dave Dunfield has a set of system disk images for the KII:

                            http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/d/kayproii.zip

                            I can make up a set, or I'm sure Kelly could, as well.

                            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                          • Herb Johnson
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 19, 2007
                              --- Ray Sills <raysills@...> wrote:

                              > HI Evan:
                              >
                              > The "cutter" C> IIRC, bears a resemblance to the V shaped piece of
                              > plastic on a Teletype machine that has a paper tape punch on it...

                              That may be true by happenstance. But the use of the "greater than"
                              symbol, which I'm sure has an actual name, as a request for terminal
                              input goes back to at least the DEC-10 or PDP-10 days, if not further.

                              I've used CP/M and DEC computers since the mid-1970's. I've seen such
                              a prompt on many interactive systems, small and large. I don't recall
                              anyone using the term "cutter" to describe "the prompt". It may be
                              that some other techie subculture uses that term.

                              But appros to the Kaypro, a copy of the Digital Research CP/M 2.2
                              manual has this description:

                              "To clearly indicate which disk is the currently logged disk, the CCP
                              always prompts the operator with the disk name followed by the symbol
                              ">" indicating that the CCP is ready for another command."

                              CCP is the Console Command Processor. that's the part of the OS which
                              handles commands like "DIR" and "ERA", etc, and which loads programs
                              by name and passes command-line arguments to that program.

                              A Google on "ASCII '>'" finds RFC 1345 on Character Mnemonics. RFC's
                              are Internet standards documents. This one says the following:

                              > 003e GREATER-THAN SIGN

                              Tom Jennings, a writer of note during the CP/M period, is referenced
                              in Wikipedia as the author of a Web document on ASCII and the history
                              of related codes, at this link:

                              http://www.wps.com/projects/codes/index.html#GRPH

                              There may be some typewriter history which might be informative as
                              well about the ">" symbol.

                              Herb Johnson

                              Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA