vintagecomputer.net update

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 13, 2007
      February update for my blog web site:

      http://vintagecomputer.net

      -Bill
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 18 10:46 PM
        I have updated my web site, vintagecomputer.net with new info

        -The Electronic Brain
        In the March 1949 issue of Radio Electronics there is a watershed article
        titled The Electronic Brain by W.R. Ashby, M.A., M.D.
        The author describes recent (for 1949) advances in electronics and how they
        can be applied to the development of an artificial intelligence. Download
        entire article.
        - University of Delaware Opens Computer Museum
        - Who was the original Braniac?
        - Inside the Amazing ASR 33 (Byte July 77)
        - Commodore Disk Archive Project
        - cybercrud.com
        - restoration projects, etc.

        Bill D
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 9, 2008
          I have updated my web site. Of special interest will be the article I
          scanned from the Philadelphia Area Computing Society newsletter, The Data
          Bus, 10-83.

          http://vintagecomputer.net/

          Some of the other stuff you may have read from posts earlier this and last
          month, but there are some things I had not mentioned too, including pictures:

          The Sage II
          My Interview in Commodore Free
          CBM MS DOS 1.25 Available
          Byte BYT-8 S-100 Computer
          NEC PC-8201A Laptop
          TRS-80 FP-215 Plotter
          Altos 5-5AD Restoration
          IBM Series 1 Project Update
          Belt Replacement for an Exatron Stringy Floppy
          Commodore 1541 IDE Hacking
          IBM General Purpose Bus Adapter (IEEE 488)

          -Bill
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 9, 2008
            Bill, the proper name of the Kyocera laptop is "Kyotronic KC-85" ...
            Kyotronic was Kyocera's computer brand.

            The triplets that OEM'd it were the Tandy Model 100, NEC PC-8201, and
            Olivetti M-10.

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 9, 2008
              http://www.vintagecomputer.net/PACS/The%20Data%20Bus%20-%20PACS%2010-83%20.p
              df

              Wow ... A few interesting things there: 1., page 2 mentions "Larry Ellison"
              ... NOT the same guy as from Oracle!; 2. page 2 also has the ad for Notable
              Software ... Presumably that IS the same compan as the the Notable Software
              currently run by Rebecca Mercuri, who's a prominent member of the Princeton
              ACM/IEEE and who we always see at the Trenton show; page 3 mentions Ron
              Kushnier, who you all should recognize from MARCH's own list!; page 3 also
              mentions the aforementioned Trenton show.

              And yet, it's from 25 years ago. I love it ... 25 years ago I was only 8
              years old.

              Ron -- please reply to this email!!

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 9, 2008
                Evan,

                This is embarrassing. I joined my local computer club (then the Danbury Osborn Group, now the Danbury Area Computer Society) when you were 10.

                Jim

                I have updated my web site.  Of special interest will be the article I
                scanned from the Philadelphia Area Computing Society newsletter, The Data
                Bus, 10-83.

                http://vintagecomputer.net/

                Some of the other stuff you may have read from posts earlier this and last
                month, but there are some things I had not mentioned too, including
                pictures:

                The Sage II
                My Interview in Commodore Free
                CBM MS DOS 1.25 Available
                Byte BYT-8 S-100 Computer
                NEC PC-8201A Laptop
                TRS-80 FP-215 Plotter
                Altos 5-5AD Restoration
                IBM Series 1 Project Update
                Belt Replacement for an Exatron Stringy Floppy
                Commodore 1541 IDE Hacking
                IBM General Purpose Bus Adapter (IEEE 488)

                -Bill

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 9, 2008
                  Message
                  Blame my parents.  :)

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 9, 2008
                    At 08:46 PM 2/9/2008 -0500, you wrote:
                    >Bill, the proper name of the Kyocera laptop is "Kyotronic KC-85" ...
                    >Kyotronic was Kyocera's computer brand.
                    >
                    >The triplets that OEM'd it were the Tandy Model 100, NEC PC-8201, and
                    >Olivetti M-10.

                    Thanks....I will update my page tomorrow morning. I missed that one, too
                    lazy to confirm my facts, oops.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 9, 2008
                      Bill,

                      Don't feel bad. Most comtemporary literature referred to it as the Kyocera KC-85 - including Model 100 Magazine. I have most of the issues of that magazine packed away somewhere in the attic.

                      Jim

                      the proper name of the Kyocera laptop is "Kyotronic KC-85" ...
                      >Kyotronic
                      was Kyocera's computer brand.

                      >The
                      triplets that OEM'd it were the Tandy Model 100, NEC PC-8201, and
                      >Olivetti
                      M-10.

                      Thanks....I will update my page tomorrow morning.  I missed that one, too
                      lazy to confirm my facts, oops.

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • Evan
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 9, 2008
                        As I understand it, Bill gates contacted Tandy with the idea, which (somehow) led to Kyocera building it. I don't know if Tandy directly subcontracted to Kyocera, of if they put it out for bidding, or if Gates connected them, or what. But I hope to get the full details for my book directly from Gates and Kay Nishi. (There's a lot about this story on the Web but I'm too tired to search tonight.)

                        Going to sleep now.

                        Subj: Re: [midatlanticretro] vintagecomputer.net update
                        Date: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:55 am
                        Size: 4K
                        To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 28, 2008
                          I have updated vintagecomputer.net to include some magazine article
                          scans, the Star Trek cover that I donated as a poster to MARCH, and
                          project work. I also have a link to the VCF E pictures I took.

                          I still have to post the VCF E video - I am attempting to catch up and
                          have made good progress this week.

                          enjoyment is optional.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 24, 2009
                            As part of the process of collecting my thoughts for the upcoming
                            exhibit in Sept, I went ahead and updated my web site home page to
                            include some articles about computer music.
                            http://vintagecomputer.net/
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 11, 2010
                              http://www.vintagecomputer.net/
                              let me know what you think.

                              I still have to update the inner pages that display images, but that's next.

                              bd
                            • Jim Kalin
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 11, 2010

                                Looks good!