IBM & The Holocaust

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 13, 2007
      Despite my rant over on the big list today, I am very interested in this
      book. But I've heard some really mixed reviews about it -- some saying it's
      a brilliant work of investigative history, others saying it's gibberish.
      Has anyone here read it and developed an intelligent opinion? I'd really
      like to hear some before checking out the book.

      Evan
    • Jeffrey Frady
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 13, 2007
        I read about it before on the internet.  I really don't know what to think of it.

        On 2/13/07, Evan Koblentz < evan@...> wrote:

        Despite my rant over on the big list today, I am very interested in this
        book. But I've heard some really mixed reviews about it -- some saying it's
        a brilliant work of investigative history, others saying it's gibberish.
        Has anyone here read it and developed an intelligent opinion? I'd really
        like to hear some before checking out the book.

        Evan

        Moderator at http://forums.palm.com
      • David Comley
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 13, 2007
          I read the book about three years ago. I read it in
          part because of the Thomas Watson, Jr relationship
          between NCR and IBM, the history of which is covered
          in some detail. As a former employee of both of these
          organizations I've developed a certain curiousity
          about them over the years.

          I don't recall looking too closely into the sources
          the author used so I'll avoid comment on any
          historical verification. There's high level coverage
          of the development of punched cards and tabulating
          equipment. The author describes in some detail the use
          of IBM equipment in coordinating rail movements and
          individual personal records in the execution of the
          Holocaust. He also describes how IBM solicited and won
          orders for this equipment from the German government.

          There's nothing new about a book that focuses public
          attention on a large corporation by justly exposing an
          unsavory deal but this book is a stimulating read
          nonetheless. It left me thinking about a wartime use
          of what I'd always considered a peacetime technology.

          -Dave

          --- Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

          > Despite my rant over on the big list today, I am
          > very interested in this
          > book. But I've heard some really mixed reviews
          > about it -- some saying it's
          > a brilliant work of investigative history, others
          > saying it's gibberish.
          > Has anyone here read it and developed an intelligent
          > opinion? I'd really
          > like to hear some before checking out the book.
          >
          > Evan

        • Sridhar Ayengar
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 13, 2007
            Evan Koblentz wrote:
            > Despite my rant over on the big list today, I am very interested in this
            > book. But I've heard some really mixed reviews about it -- some saying it's
            > a brilliant work of investigative history, others saying it's gibberish.
            > Has anyone here read it and developed an intelligent opinion? I'd really
            > like to hear some before checking out the book.

            There's definitely some bias, but all in all, it was an interesting
            read. The author was not at all interested in objectivity, so you *do*
            have to take certain things with a grain of salt.

            Your rant was rather entertaining itself. 8-)

            Peace... Sridhar
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 14, 2007
              Evan,

              What is the "Big List"? What book? I've read many on IBM.

              Jim

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 14, 2007
                >>> What is the "Big List"?

                classiccmp .... duh  :)
              • Sridhar Ayengar
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 14, 2007
                  Jim Scheef wrote:
                  > Evan,
                  >
                  > What is the "Big List"? What book? I've read many on IBM.

                  The "Big List" is classiccmp.

                  Peace... Sridhar
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 14, 2007
                    Evan,

                    I still can't find the rant, you still didn't tell me the name of the book. I give up.

                    Jim

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 14, 2007
                      It was a thread on cctalk about the book "IBM and The Holocaust" which began yesterday afternoon.  I flamed someone who went off-topic and blamed the whole controversy on evil governments and the media.  List mod Jay West completely agreed with me.