Grumman C-8573 / ASA-79 Jet Computer

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2007
      I was given a Grumman C-8573 / ASA-79 Jet Computer a few months ago, and I decided to open it up to see what was inside.  I was told...that this was the computer from an F14, but I was unsure exactly which generation. After a good hour I finally opened up the box to reveal mid-80's components, not late 60's early 70's.   See http://microcomputerhistory.com/f14chipset.htm for what I was hoping to find.  oh well.

      Here are the raw images:
      http://vintagecomputer.net/Grumman/

      Note that it's an IBM card cage. The chips are from the early to mid 80's. The historical equivalent to an early pentium/late 486 ... boring!

      I will come back to this. If anyone wants this unit, let me know. It's not really in my area of interest.

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 8, 2007
        Can MARCH have it?  We'll definitely make a "Computers of the Military" exhibit because of our museum's background.

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 9, 2007
          Hi Bill:

          You gotta wonder how much that piece originally cost America's
          taxpayers...

          : )

          73 de Ray

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 9, 2007
            I will bring it on the 18th. Anyone else except Evan coming down/up to
            InfoAge that day?
            Bill

            > Can MARCH have it? We'll definitely make a "Computers of the Military"
            > exhibit because of our museum's background.
            >
            > _____

            -END-