Re: [midatlanticretro] VCFeast Theme ?

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 8, 2007
      Bill Sudbrink wrote:
      >> I was just noticing the other thread on computer movies and recalled
      >> some stuff I found at the local thrift store. I was kinda lucky to find
      >> some old collector magazines on the first trilogy Star Wars from the
      >> late 70's and early 80's.
      >>
      >> It just dawned on me that this is going to be the 30th anniv of the
      >> first Star Wars movie--I can remember all the Star Wars stuff at the
      >> computers shows in the 70's, computer games, posters, banners. I can't
      >> be the only one that used the school computer to print out 12ft long
      >> banners saying "Long, Long time ago, is a galaxy far, far away....."
      >>
      >> How about a theme for the VCF ?
      >>
      >> I'm sure the local Star Wars club wouldn't mind to have a few Storm
      >> Troopers parading around the InfoAge campus. We have that here everytime
      >> for ComicCon.
      >
      > The Death Star plans are not in any of our computers!

      That could be arranged.

      Peace... Sridhar
    • Bryan Pope
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 8, 2007
        Dan wrote:
        > I was just noticing the other thread on computer movies and recalled
        > some stuff I found at the local thrift store. I was kinda lucky to find
        > some old collector magazines on the first trilogy Star Wars from the
        > late 70's and early 80's.
        >
        > It just dawned on me that this is going to be the 30th anniv of the
        > first Star Wars movie--I can remember all the Star Wars stuff at the
        > computers shows in the 70's, computer games, posters, banners. I can't
        > be the only one that used the school computer to print out 12ft long
        > banners saying "Long, Long time ago, is a galaxy far, far away....."
        >
        > How about a theme for the VCF ?

        Disco! And we can all wear jumpsuits! :D We will all be cool cats as
        we discuss vintage computers...

        Cheers,

        Bryan

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 8, 2007
          >>> The Death Star plans are not in any of our computers!

          Maybe not in any of YOUR computers, Bill. :)
        • Jeffrey Frady
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 8, 2007
            Yeah but the problem is the Death Star plans are Mac Formatted.

            >>> The Death Star plans are not in any of our computers!

            Maybe not in any of YOUR computers, Bill. :)

            Moderator at http://forums.palm.com
          • buseyl
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 10, 2007
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Sudbrink"
              <wh.sudbrink@...> wrote:

              > The Death Star plans are not in any of our computers!
              > --

              Hmmmm...

              - looks at logo on AT&T PC 6300 -

              At least attempt to hide your deceit, Rebel scum!

              ;)

              - Liam Busey
            • buseyl
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 10, 2007
                I love Star Wars but its following is huge. They don't need our help
                and I'd hate for them to smother us.

                This is however the 30th anniversary of the home computer. It would
                be a great time focus on machines like the TRS-80 model 1, Apple ][,
                and the Commodore Pet. Heck, Evan even managed to schedule Chuck
                Peddle (6800, 6502, & Pet designer) to attend!

                Lot's of other cool machines came out in 1977 as well. Just
                scanning "old-computers.com", I see well known names like the
                Heathkit H8, Compucolor 2, NorthStar Horizon, OHIO SCIENTIFIC's
                MODEL 500, and POLYMORPHIC's System 8813.

                That's just micros. I'm sure the mini and big iron guys could say
                more.

                I'm not advocating a ban of Star Wars. I'd just prefer to see things
                related to our hobby like a demo of the vintage workstation that
                displayed the Death Star plans for the first movie, DEC Wars, early
                Star Wars games, or even a "Darth Vader" Apple 2.

                A cosplay event might be too far. :)

                - Liam Busey

                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dan <ragooman@...> wrote:

                > I was just noticing the other thread on computer movies and
                recalled
                > some stuff I found at the local thrift store. I was kinda lucky to
                find
                > some old collector magazines on the first trilogy Star Wars from
                the
                > late 70's and early 80's.
                >
                > It just dawned on me that this is going to be the 30th anniv of
                the
                > first Star Wars movie--I can remember all the Star Wars stuff at
                the
                > computers shows in the 70's, computer games, posters, banners. I
                can't
                > be the only one that used the school computer to print out 12ft
                long
                > banners saying "Long, Long time ago, is a galaxy far, far
                away....."

                > How about a theme for the VCF ?
                >
                > I'm sure the local Star Wars club wouldn't mind to have a few
                Storm
                > Troopers parading around the InfoAge campus. We have that here
                everytime
                > for ComicCon.
                >
                > BTW, they're gonna party out in Cali
                > http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14725
                > To celebrate the 30th Anniversary of "Star Wars," Lucasfilm Ltd.
                and Gen
                > Con LLC will throw the largest party ever for fans of the saga...
                >

                > =Dan
              • Sridhar Ayengar
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 10, 2007
                  buseyl wrote:
                  > I love Star Wars but its following is huge. They don't need our help
                  > and I'd hate for them to smother us.
                  >
                  > This is however the 30th anniversary of the home computer. It would
                  > be a great time focus on machines like the TRS-80 model 1, Apple ][,
                  > and the Commodore Pet. Heck, Evan even managed to schedule Chuck
                  > Peddle (6800, 6502, & Pet designer) to attend!
                  >
                  > Lot's of other cool machines came out in 1977 as well. Just
                  > scanning "old-computers.com", I see well known names like the
                  > Heathkit H8, Compucolor 2, NorthStar Horizon, OHIO SCIENTIFIC's
                  > MODEL 500, and POLYMORPHIC's System 8813.
                  >
                  > That's just micros. I'm sure the mini and big iron guys could say
                  > more.
                  >
                  > I'm not advocating a ban of Star Wars. I'd just prefer to see things
                  > related to our hobby like a demo of the vintage workstation that
                  > displayed the Death Star plans for the first movie, DEC Wars, early
                  > Star Wars games, or even a "Darth Vader" Apple 2.
                  >
                  > A cosplay event might be too far. :)

                  This club is *far* too micro-centric.

                  Peace... Sridhar