Re: [midatlanticretro] Cool potential MARCH event

  • William Donzelli
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2007
      > Again? Guess I missed it the first time ..... Seems really interesting and
      > I hope we can find a member (or two or three) to help you.

      There was a rather big thread on CLASICCMP. Here it is again:

      I am currently working on a project involving music made with
      computers before MIDI. Some aspects and examples might be the old
      mainframes playing tunes on band printers, minicomputers making tunes
      with RFI, microcomputers controlling analog synthesizers, and so
      forth.

      I have no strict timeline on this, but I would like to pull things
      together in a few months maximum.

      Things I am looking for:

      1) Recordings of 2nd generation (or even before, if they exist)
      mainframes making tunes. There are a few recordings out there, and I
      may be getting some help from CHM for more.

      2) A working 1970s era minicomputer with core, probably a PDP-8 or
      Nova, that is reliable enough to make a performance.

      3) A 1970s era microcomputer controlling an analog synthesizer.

      4) Outstanding examples of Atari and/or C64s making music.

      5) Leads to artists and musicians that used classic computers in
      recordings, famous or not. Decent quality MP3s would be great.

      6) An example of the HP printer (a deskjet?) that contains the musical
      Easter Egg, operational.

      7) Any examples of music made by computer algorithms, remixes by
      computer, and so forth. Experimental works are welcome.

      8) Any suggestions to expand this. The computers need not be classics,
      the music need not be oddball, but the results should be a little on
      the weird side (for example, I do not need a Pentium 3 running
      Protools making trance).

      While I am not looking to buy any of these machines, I am looking for
      examples that are very reliable, and can travel to New Jersey for a
      Saturday morning (probably). Appearance is not important, being this
      will all take place in a studio.

      There is a very slim chance I can provide the minicomputer, but all my
      tapes are lost in limbo, so I doubt it. Being a PDP-8/S, normal PDP-8
      music tapes will not work. There is also a chance I can provide a
      Minimoog synthesizer, if someone can provide the microcomputer with
      D/A cards (for the control voltages) and some sort of software for
      making a tune.

      So please go and think about this, and tell me what you think, and if
      you can contribute. Certainly proper credit will be given to those
      that can help out, but sorry, no money. I am not getting paid for this
      either.

      Thank you for your time.

      --
      Will
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2007
        I ignore most of the classiccmp threads except when the subject lines
        directly interest me .... Anyway you should contact Erik Klein. He made an
        Altair play "Fool on the Hill" at VCF 8 in 2005, for the Homebrew 30th
        anniversary party. Bruce Damer was heavily involved with that as well.