Re: [midatlanticretro] Cool potential MARCH event

  • William Donzelli
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2007
      I would just like to stick this in MARCH's ear again...

      I am still looking for working examples of minicomputers and
      microcomputers making music using non-traditional means (using
      printers, disks, core memory, etc.). These performances are to be used
      for a special radio show on an independent station. There is no set
      show date, so there is little pressure.

      For the show, I would really like to have live performances, based in
      the Jersey City, NJ studios, on a Saturday morning. If the thrill of
      live radio is too much (or inconvenient, they could be taped earlier).

      Ideally, a small PDP-8 of some flavor (PDP-8/e with a tape reader and
      cheap AM radio is all that is needed) would be great. Likewise, an
      Altair with similar equipment would be great as well.

      MARCH could get some nice publicity from this. WFMU has a pretty good
      listener base for an independent (several hundred thousand, including
      those listening worldwide via the web), most in the NY/NJ area. The
      show will be archived as well, and could be streamed at any time later
      for more exposure.

      So, if any MARCH people are interested, please let me know.

      --
      Will
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2007
        >>> in MARCH's ear again.

        Again? Guess I missed it the first time ..... Seems really interesting and
        I hope we can find a member (or two or three) to help you.

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2007
          > Again? Guess I missed it the first time ..... Seems really interesting and
          > I hope we can find a member (or two or three) to help you.

          There was a rather big thread on CLASICCMP. Here it is again:

          I am currently working on a project involving music made with
          computers before MIDI. Some aspects and examples might be the old
          mainframes playing tunes on band printers, minicomputers making tunes
          with RFI, microcomputers controlling analog synthesizers, and so
          forth.

          I have no strict timeline on this, but I would like to pull things
          together in a few months maximum.

          Things I am looking for:

          1) Recordings of 2nd generation (or even before, if they exist)
          mainframes making tunes. There are a few recordings out there, and I
          may be getting some help from CHM for more.

          2) A working 1970s era minicomputer with core, probably a PDP-8 or
          Nova, that is reliable enough to make a performance.

          3) A 1970s era microcomputer controlling an analog synthesizer.

          4) Outstanding examples of Atari and/or C64s making music.

          5) Leads to artists and musicians that used classic computers in
          recordings, famous or not. Decent quality MP3s would be great.

          6) An example of the HP printer (a deskjet?) that contains the musical
          Easter Egg, operational.

          7) Any examples of music made by computer algorithms, remixes by
          computer, and so forth. Experimental works are welcome.

          8) Any suggestions to expand this. The computers need not be classics,
          the music need not be oddball, but the results should be a little on
          the weird side (for example, I do not need a Pentium 3 running
          Protools making trance).

          While I am not looking to buy any of these machines, I am looking for
          examples that are very reliable, and can travel to New Jersey for a
          Saturday morning (probably). Appearance is not important, being this
          will all take place in a studio.

          There is a very slim chance I can provide the minicomputer, but all my
          tapes are lost in limbo, so I doubt it. Being a PDP-8/S, normal PDP-8
          music tapes will not work. There is also a chance I can provide a
          Minimoog synthesizer, if someone can provide the microcomputer with
          D/A cards (for the control voltages) and some sort of software for
          making a tune.

          So please go and think about this, and tell me what you think, and if
          you can contribute. Certainly proper credit will be given to those
          that can help out, but sorry, no money. I am not getting paid for this
          either.

          Thank you for your time.

          --
          Will
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2007
            I ignore most of the classiccmp threads except when the subject lines
            directly interest me .... Anyway you should contact Erik Klein. He made an
            Altair play "Fool on the Hill" at VCF 8 in 2005, for the Homebrew 30th
            anniversary party. Bruce Damer was heavily involved with that as well.