Re: [midatlanticretro] anyone doing any vintage computing tonight?

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2007
      yes to question 1, Kelly will be better to answer your 2nd question but
      usually it's the drive not the controller. when I get a cylinder 0 head 0
      error, that means possibly that it's not a compatible drive. what do you
      know about the hard drive?
      bd

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2007
        yup.

        At 11:04 PM 2/1/2007 -0500, you wrote:

        >Tonight I interviewed Bill Mauchly -- son of John -- for research on my
        >book. Does that count? :)
      • ysgdhio
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2007
          Just doing a quick repair on an Atari "white brick" power supply I won on eBay.
          When it arrived today, there was something rattling around inside.
          Apparently it took some minor damage during shipping, easily reglued.
          Not a bad score for five bucks. And now I have power for both my 800XL machines.
          Also scored a bunch of Atari 2600 carts for about 75 cents each
          including shipping.
          I wish I had another 13" color TV.

          Andy
        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
            On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, B. Degnan wrote:

            > yes to question 1, Kelly will be better to answer your 2nd question but
            > usually it's the drive not the controller. when I get a cylinder 0 head 0
            > error, that means possibly that it's not a compatible drive. what do you
            > know about the hard drive?

            The system came with an internal 15MB drive, and an external 15MB
            drive. Both drives exhibit the same error (as above) when trying to
            format with diskutil. The drive I substituted was a Miniscribe 6085,
            which hasn't been used for many years. Kelly is going to provide me with
            some service info on the controller.

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
              Bill,

              Looks like I've made contact with the owner of those two teletype machines and plan to pick them up Monday. If anyone would like to come along for the ride, you need to be at my house in New Milford, CT, at 9am. It will be an all day adventure.

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
                Wonderful. I still need to fix mine. I wish I could go. What I would
                like to do, if we could somehow, is bring the three together so that we
                can take them apart and compare how they're assembled and swap parts. I
                assume that they are both the Teletype Model 33's? A model 33 is vital to
                a good museum, don't you think?
                Bill

                > Bill,
                >
                > Looks like I've made contact with the owner of those two teletype machines
                > and plan to pick them up Monday. If anyone would like to come along for
                > the ride, you need to be at my house in New Milford, CT, at 9am. It will
                > be an all day adventure.
                >
                > Jim

                -END-
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
                  Do we need someone for 2/18? I was hoping to visit InfoAge that day.
                  Evan? anyone?
                  Bill D
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
                    Offer accepted.

                    Will email you off-list with details.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 4, 2007
                      Bill,

                      Absolutely! Hopefully we'll have a Model 33 that is reliable enough that we can let people watch it dance.

                      Jim

                      Wonderful. I still need to fix mine. I wish I could go. What I would
                      like to do, if we could somehow, is bring the three together so that we
                      can take them apart and compare how they're assembled and swap parts. I
                      assume that they are both the Teletype Model 33's? A model 33 is vital to
                      a good museum, don't you think?
                      Bill

                      > Bill,
                      >
                      > Looks like I've made contact with the owner of those two teletype machines
                      > and plan to pick them up Monday. If anyone would like to come along for
                      > the ride, you need to be at my house in New Milford, CT, at 9am. It will
                      > be an all day adventure.
                      >
                      > Jim

                      -END-