Re: [midatlanticretro] anyone doing any vintage computing tonight?

  • Jeffrey Frady
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2007
      My PC fried on me.

      Need new mobo/processor.  It will be a while till I buy a new one.

      On 2/1/07, Evan Koblentz < evan@...> wrote:

> [...]

      Tonight I interviewed Bill Mauchly -- son of John -- for research on my
      book. Does that count? :)

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2007
        On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, B. Degnan wrote:

        > Me? I am working on some old disk drives, basically taking each one and
        > testing on a RadioShack Coco II with a 502 FD cart/adapter.

        I spent the evening cleaning up my just acquired Model I Expansion
        Interface, and checking it out. Question: when you <BREAK> to get into
        BASIC when no drives are attached, what should "PRINT MEM" display? The
        EI has 32KB installed, but the MEM command only shows the 16KB (15,772)
        in the system unit. Is that normal?

        I also had a chance to hook up a replacement hard drive on my Model
        6000HD. Same problem as with the two drives that came with it: trying to
        format with diskutil gives an error saying that cylinder 0, head 0 is bad
        so the drive is unuseable. Looks like the controller board may have a
        problem.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2007
          yes to question 1, Kelly will be better to answer your 2nd question but
          usually it's the drive not the controller. when I get a cylinder 0 head 0
          error, that means possibly that it's not a compatible drive. what do you
          know about the hard drive?
          bd

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 1, 2007
            yup.

            At 11:04 PM 2/1/2007 -0500, you wrote:

            >Tonight I interviewed Bill Mauchly -- son of John -- for research on my
            >book. Does that count? :)
          • ysgdhio
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 1, 2007
              Just doing a quick repair on an Atari "white brick" power supply I won on eBay.
              When it arrived today, there was something rattling around inside.
              Apparently it took some minor damage during shipping, easily reglued.
              Not a bad score for five bucks. And now I have power for both my 800XL machines.
              Also scored a bunch of Atari 2600 carts for about 75 cents each
              including shipping.
              I wish I had another 13" color TV.

              Andy
            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
                On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, B. Degnan wrote:

                > yes to question 1, Kelly will be better to answer your 2nd question but
                > usually it's the drive not the controller. when I get a cylinder 0 head 0
                > error, that means possibly that it's not a compatible drive. what do you
                > know about the hard drive?

                The system came with an internal 15MB drive, and an external 15MB
                drive. Both drives exhibit the same error (as above) when trying to
                format with diskutil. The drive I substituted was a Miniscribe 6085,
                which hasn't been used for many years. Kelly is going to provide me with
                some service info on the controller.

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
                  Bill,

                  Looks like I've made contact with the owner of those two teletype machines and plan to pick them up Monday. If anyone would like to come along for the ride, you need to be at my house in New Milford, CT, at 9am. It will be an all day adventure.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
                    Wonderful. I still need to fix mine. I wish I could go. What I would
                    like to do, if we could somehow, is bring the three together so that we
                    can take them apart and compare how they're assembled and swap parts. I
                    assume that they are both the Teletype Model 33's? A model 33 is vital to
                    a good museum, don't you think?
                    Bill

                    > Bill,
                    >
                    > Looks like I've made contact with the owner of those two teletype machines
                    > and plan to pick them up Monday. If anyone would like to come along for
                    > the ride, you need to be at my house in New Milford, CT, at 9am. It will
                    > be an all day adventure.
                    >
                    > Jim

                    -END-
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
                      Do we need someone for 2/18? I was hoping to visit InfoAge that day.
                      Evan? anyone?
                      Bill D
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
                        Offer accepted.

                        Will email you off-list with details.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 4, 2007
                          Bill,

                          Absolutely! Hopefully we'll have a Model 33 that is reliable enough that we can let people watch it dance.

                          Jim

                          Wonderful. I still need to fix mine. I wish I could go. What I would
                          like to do, if we could somehow, is bring the three together so that we
                          can take them apart and compare how they're assembled and swap parts. I
                          assume that they are both the Teletype Model 33's? A model 33 is vital to
                          a good museum, don't you think?
                          Bill

                          > Bill,
                          >
                          > Looks like I've made contact with the owner of those two teletype machines
                          > and plan to pick them up Monday. If anyone would like to come along for
                          > the ride, you need to be at my house in New Milford, CT, at 9am. It will
                          > be an all day adventure.
                          >
                          > Jim

                          -END-