anyone doing any vintage computing tonight?

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2007
      Me? I am working on some old disk drives, basically taking each one and
      testing on a RadioShack Coco II with a 502 FD cart/adapter. I have about
      10 external (self powered) DD 5 1/4" disk drives that I nurse along. They
      are used for TRS 80 Model 1's with the expansion interface and a DD
      controller, plus anything newer from RadioShack. It's good to pull them
      out and test every year to keep them limber. The reason I was using the
      Coco II and 502 FD cart is to take advantage of the enhanced basic command
      set disk commands.

      The most prized drives of this group is a set of ancient Percom drives
      (drive 0 and 1). I am glad to report that I was able to revive the
      previously dead Percom drive 0 tonight. Ah simple pleasures.

      Here are some commands that I used, if anyone is interested:

      dskini0 (format a disk in drive 0)
      copy "test.bas:0" to "test.bas:1" (copy a file from drive 0 to drive 1)

      I have a lot of commands for ancient TRS 80 diskette / file controls on my
      web site, vintagecomputer.net. Use the search to locate.

      Next - A Micropolis twin DD.

      Take care

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2007

        Tonight I interviewed Bill Mauchly -- son of John -- for research on my
        book. Does that count? :)

        Me? I am working on some old disk drives......
      • Jeffrey Frady
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2007
          My PC fried on me.

          Need new mobo/processor.  It will be a while till I buy a new one.

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 1, 2007
            On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, B. Degnan wrote:

            > Me? I am working on some old disk drives, basically taking each one and
            > testing on a RadioShack Coco II with a 502 FD cart/adapter.

            I spent the evening cleaning up my just acquired Model I Expansion
            Interface, and checking it out. Question: when you <BREAK> to get into
            BASIC when no drives are attached, what should "PRINT MEM" display? The
            EI has 32KB installed, but the MEM command only shows the 16KB (15,772)
            in the system unit. Is that normal?

            I also had a chance to hook up a replacement hard drive on my Model
            6000HD. Same problem as with the two drives that came with it: trying to
            format with diskutil gives an error saying that cylinder 0, head 0 is bad
            so the drive is unuseable. Looks like the controller board may have a
            problem.

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 1, 2007
              yes to question 1, Kelly will be better to answer your 2nd question but
              usually it's the drive not the controller. when I get a cylinder 0 head 0
              error, that means possibly that it's not a compatible drive. what do you
              know about the hard drive?
              bd

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 1, 2007
                yup.

                At 11:04 PM 2/1/2007 -0500, you wrote:

                >Tonight I interviewed Bill Mauchly -- son of John -- for research on my
                >book. Does that count? :)
              • ysgdhio
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 1, 2007
                  Just doing a quick repair on an Atari "white brick" power supply I won on eBay.
                  When it arrived today, there was something rattling around inside.
                  Apparently it took some minor damage during shipping, easily reglued.
                  Not a bad score for five bucks. And now I have power for both my 800XL machines.
                  Also scored a bunch of Atari 2600 carts for about 75 cents each
                  including shipping.
                  I wish I had another 13" color TV.

                  Andy
                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
                    On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, B. Degnan wrote:

                    > yes to question 1, Kelly will be better to answer your 2nd question but
                    > usually it's the drive not the controller. when I get a cylinder 0 head 0
                    > error, that means possibly that it's not a compatible drive. what do you
                    > know about the hard drive?

                    The system came with an internal 15MB drive, and an external 15MB
                    drive. Both drives exhibit the same error (as above) when trying to
                    format with diskutil. The drive I substituted was a Miniscribe 6085,
                    which hasn't been used for many years. Kelly is going to provide me with
                    some service info on the controller.

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
                      Bill,

                      Looks like I've made contact with the owner of those two teletype machines and plan to pick them up Monday. If anyone would like to come along for the ride, you need to be at my house in New Milford, CT, at 9am. It will be an all day adventure.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
                        Wonderful. I still need to fix mine. I wish I could go. What I would
                        like to do, if we could somehow, is bring the three together so that we
                        can take them apart and compare how they're assembled and swap parts. I
                        assume that they are both the Teletype Model 33's? A model 33 is vital to
                        a good museum, don't you think?
                        Bill

                        > Bill,
                        >
                        > Looks like I've made contact with the owner of those two teletype machines
                        > and plan to pick them up Monday. If anyone would like to come along for
                        > the ride, you need to be at my house in New Milford, CT, at 9am. It will
                        > be an all day adventure.
                        >
                        > Jim

                        -END-
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
                          Do we need someone for 2/18? I was hoping to visit InfoAge that day.
                          Evan? anyone?
                          Bill D
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
                            Offer accepted.

                            Will email you off-list with details.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 4, 2007
                              Bill,

                              Absolutely! Hopefully we'll have a Model 33 that is reliable enough that we can let people watch it dance.

                              Jim

                              Wonderful. I still need to fix mine. I wish I could go. What I would
                              like to do, if we could somehow, is bring the three together so that we
                              can take them apart and compare how they're assembled and swap parts. I
                              assume that they are both the Teletype Model 33's? A model 33 is vital to
                              a good museum, don't you think?
                              Bill

                              > Bill,
                              >
                              > Looks like I've made contact with the owner of those two teletype machines
                              > and plan to pick them up Monday. If anyone would like to come along for
                              > the ride, you need to be at my house in New Milford, CT, at 9am. It will
                              > be an all day adventure.
                              >
                              > Jim

                              -END-