Cool potential MARCH event

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
      Here's something where maybe we can do an exhibit similar to what we did at
      HOPE last year ..... it's the annual worldwide conference for the Society of
      the History of Technology. "SHOT" as it's known is a group mostly for
      academic types but they have a division called SIGCIS -- special interest
      group for computers, information and society. SIGCIS is looking to organize
      a panel at this meeting to discuss computer museums and artifacts. I
      emailed the SIG chair, offering to help (on a personal level), and also
      asking how he'd feel about MARCH setting up a demo exhibit. Hope to hear
      back from him soon. The meeting is in D.C. from Oct. 18-21.

      - Evan
    • William Donzelli
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2007
        I would just like to stick this in MARCH's ear again...

        I am still looking for working examples of minicomputers and
        microcomputers making music using non-traditional means (using
        printers, disks, core memory, etc.). These performances are to be used
        for a special radio show on an independent station. There is no set
        show date, so there is little pressure.

        For the show, I would really like to have live performances, based in
        the Jersey City, NJ studios, on a Saturday morning. If the thrill of
        live radio is too much (or inconvenient, they could be taped earlier).

        Ideally, a small PDP-8 of some flavor (PDP-8/e with a tape reader and
        cheap AM radio is all that is needed) would be great. Likewise, an
        Altair with similar equipment would be great as well.

        MARCH could get some nice publicity from this. WFMU has a pretty good
        listener base for an independent (several hundred thousand, including
        those listening worldwide via the web), most in the NY/NJ area. The
        show will be archived as well, and could be streamed at any time later
        for more exposure.

        So, if any MARCH people are interested, please let me know.

        --
        Will
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2007
          >>> in MARCH's ear again.

          Again? Guess I missed it the first time ..... Seems really interesting and
          I hope we can find a member (or two or three) to help you.

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2007
            > Again? Guess I missed it the first time ..... Seems really interesting and
            > I hope we can find a member (or two or three) to help you.

            There was a rather big thread on CLASICCMP. Here it is again:

            I am currently working on a project involving music made with
            computers before MIDI. Some aspects and examples might be the old
            mainframes playing tunes on band printers, minicomputers making tunes
            with RFI, microcomputers controlling analog synthesizers, and so
            forth.

            I have no strict timeline on this, but I would like to pull things
            together in a few months maximum.

            Things I am looking for:

            1) Recordings of 2nd generation (or even before, if they exist)
            mainframes making tunes. There are a few recordings out there, and I
            may be getting some help from CHM for more.

            2) A working 1970s era minicomputer with core, probably a PDP-8 or
            Nova, that is reliable enough to make a performance.

            3) A 1970s era microcomputer controlling an analog synthesizer.

            4) Outstanding examples of Atari and/or C64s making music.

            5) Leads to artists and musicians that used classic computers in
            recordings, famous or not. Decent quality MP3s would be great.

            6) An example of the HP printer (a deskjet?) that contains the musical
            Easter Egg, operational.

            7) Any examples of music made by computer algorithms, remixes by
            computer, and so forth. Experimental works are welcome.

            8) Any suggestions to expand this. The computers need not be classics,
            the music need not be oddball, but the results should be a little on
            the weird side (for example, I do not need a Pentium 3 running
            Protools making trance).

            While I am not looking to buy any of these machines, I am looking for
            examples that are very reliable, and can travel to New Jersey for a
            Saturday morning (probably). Appearance is not important, being this
            will all take place in a studio.

            There is a very slim chance I can provide the minicomputer, but all my
            tapes are lost in limbo, so I doubt it. Being a PDP-8/S, normal PDP-8
            music tapes will not work. There is also a chance I can provide a
            Minimoog synthesizer, if someone can provide the microcomputer with
            D/A cards (for the control voltages) and some sort of software for
            making a tune.

            So please go and think about this, and tell me what you think, and if
            you can contribute. Certainly proper credit will be given to those
            that can help out, but sorry, no money. I am not getting paid for this
            either.

            Thank you for your time.

            --
            Will
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2007
              I ignore most of the classiccmp threads except when the subject lines
              directly interest me .... Anyway you should contact Erik Klein. He made an
              Altair play "Fool on the Hill" at VCF 8 in 2005, for the Homebrew 30th
              anniversary party. Bruce Damer was heavily involved with that as well.