HP-85B

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 21, 2007
      I tinkered with our HP-85B today. It seems to work, as does the built-in
      printer, but of course I didn't have a tape to test the drive.

      I might download the 85's user manual but it is 340-something pages ....
      errr maybe I'll just download the pocket guide.

      This system is cool because in 1980 it was HP's transition between a
      "desktop calculator" and a microcomputer.
    • David Gesswein
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 22, 2007
        > I tinkered with our HP-85B today. It seems to work, as does the built-in
        > printer, but of course I didn't have a tape to test the drive.

        I wrote a simple schedule program for one of these 25 or so years ago at
        Comsat. Don't have it anymore.

        The tape drive will likely need the capstan repaired.
        http://www.voidware.com/calcs/hp85rep.htm

        The DC100 it takes is physically the same as the DECtape II. The DECtape II
        tapes have a problem of the tape being damaged where they sit against
        the band that goes around the tape. I have some DECtape II's but
        at least some have the problem and the drive I have need the capstans
        rebuilt. I have heard that other makes of DC100 are better.
      • Bob Grieb
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 22, 2007
          Evan,

          I think it was the 85B that I used at a former job to
          test out an HP graphics controller that we were using to
          simulate a radar screen on a raster-scanned CRT. 'Wrote a
          program in BASIC to move blips around on the screen.
          (The actual trainer, built later, used an 8086 as the
          controller.) I was just making a sort of demo. The
          interface to the graphics controller was HPIB/GPIB.
          I remember thinking how cool the 85B was.

          Bob Grieb

          --- Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

          > I tinkered with our HP-85B today. It seems to work, as does the
          > built-in
          > printer, but of course I didn't have a tape to test the drive.
          >
          > I might download the 85's user manual but it is 340-something pages
          > errr maybe I'll just download the pocket guide.
          >
          > This system is cool because in 1980 it was HP's transition between a
          > "desktop calculator" and a microcomputer.

          Be a PS3 game guru.
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 22, 2007
            Evan,

            What interfaces do we have for the 85B? HP-IB? HP-IL? I have all sorts of HP-IL stuff including disk and tape drives. Unfortunately I never found a HP-IB to HP-IL adapter at a reasonable price. If we have the HP-IL interface then we can use a 9114 disk drive with the 85B.

            Jim

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 22, 2007
              I sold a working one of these to Bill Sudebrink. He has all of the tapes,
              manuals,etc. the only problem with the unit was the tape capstan. I am
              unsure if he has fixed it since the swap meet.

              if you run this command, you can test the printer:

              10 print "this is a test" [enter]
              run [enter]

              by default the print output goes to the printer.

              Bill D

              > I tinkered with our HP-85B today. It seems to work, as does the built-in
              > printer, but of course I didn't have a tape to test the drive.
              >
              > I might download the 85's user manual but it is 340-something pages ....
              > errr maybe I'll just download the pocket guide.
              >
              > This system is cool because in 1980 it was HP's transition between a
              > "desktop calculator" and a microcomputer.
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              -END-
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 22, 2007
                >>> I sold a working one of these to Bill Sudebrink. He has all of the
                tapes, manuals,etc.

                Cool. Good to know they're with one of us!

                >>> if you run this command, you can test the printer: ... 10 print "this is
                a test" [enter] ... run [enter]

                That was the very first thing I did! :) The printer works.

                I sold a working one of these to Bill Sudebrink. He has all of the tapes,
                manuals,etc. the only problem with the unit was the tape capstan. I am
                unsure if he has fixed it since the swap meet.

                if you run this command, you can test the printer:

                10 print "this is a test" [enter]
                run [enter]

                by default the print output goes to the printer.

                Bill D

                > I tinkered with our HP-85B today. It seems to work, as does the
                > built-in printer, but of course I didn't have a tape to test the drive.
                >
                > I might download the 85's user manual but it is 340-something pages ....
                > errr maybe I'll just download the pocket guide.
                >
                > This system is cool because in 1980 it was HP's transition between a
                > "desktop calculator" and a microcomputer.
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                -END-