Re: My KIM-1 Computer

  • us21090
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 18, 2007
      Ron,

      Comments in-line...

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Applegate" <bob@...> wrote:
      [...]
      > To record (and maybe retrieve) from tape, you had to clear decimal
      mode. Right
      > off I don't remember the key sequence.>
      [...]
      > Bob

      For recording or playback you need to clear the decimal mode setting
      location 00F1 to 0. The key sequence:
      [AD] [0] [0] [F] [1]
      [DA] [0] [0]

      BTW, this is is according to the MOS Kim-1 Hints Guide, item 8. One
      copy:
      http://www.commodore.ca/manuals/kim1/kim1_hints.txt
      Item 9 talks about other cassette troubleshooting suggestions.

      You've probably done this, but if you haven't also see section "4.2
      USING THE AUDIO TAPE RECORDER" in the MOS Kim-1 Users Guide. An
      online copy:
      http://www.commodore.ca/manuals/kim1/kim1_users_guide.txt

      Summarizing from the Users Guide (again in section 4.2):

      * Clear decimal mode by entering 00 in location 00F1.

      * Define the ID number of the data block to be loaded from tape. Load
      ID number into address 17F9. If you specify an ID = 00, the ID number
      recorded on the tape will be ignored and the system will read the
      first valid data block encountered on the tape. The data read from
      the tape will be loaded into memory address as specified on the tape.
      Specifying an ID = FF is similar to ID = 00 except that the data
      block will be loaded into successive memory locations beginning at the
      address specified in locations 17F5 and 17F6 (SAL, SAH) instead of the
      locations specified on the tape.

      * Select the starting address of the Tape Load program. This address
      is l873 HEX.

      * Press the [GO] key. The KIM-1 system is now waiting for the
      appearance of data from the tape unit.

      * Load the cassette and, presuming you do not know where on the tape
      the data block is recorded, rewind the tape to its starting position.
      Check the volume control setting.

      * Start the audio tape unit in its Play mode and observe that the tape
      begins to move.

      * Wait for the KIM-1 display to relight showing 0000 xx. This means
      the data block has been loaded successfully from the tape into the
      KIM-1 memory. If the display relights with FFFF xx, the correct data
      block has been found but there has been an error detected during the
      read operation. If the tape continues to run and the display never
      relights, the system has not been successful in finding the data block
      with the specific ID number you requested.

      Scott Austin