Re: My KIM-1 Computer

  • rkushnier
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 18, 2007
      Bob,
      Thanks for the suggestions. It's all coming back to me now...
      I think I need to clear the Status Register by putting "00" in 00F1
      and the NMI termination vector Interrupt 1C00 in 17FA,17FB. I'll give
      that a try when I have some time.

      As far as the switch bounce, I recall the original MOS Technology
      Kims did have a problem with the keyboards, and in fact there was a
      hardware modification to help correct it.

      Thanks again , and Long Live the KIM!

      Ron

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Applegate" <bob@...>
      wrote:

      > I don't have my First Book Of Kim here at the office, but there is
      a program to
      > adjust the PLL. If you can't get any luck with that, then a scope
      might be handy
      > to verify the output signals, look at what's being sent to the
      digital input, etc.

      > To record (and maybe retrieve) from tape, you had to clear decimal
      mode. Right
      > off I don't remember the key sequence.
      >
      > If you've got switch bounce, then your keys are in bad shape. The
      normal KIM
      > switches work great; my two 30 year old units work fine. There
      were some
      > articles on how to disassemble and clean them. Try a good search
      on the web
      > and I'm sure you'll find some suggestions.
      >
      > Just because the tape isn't work is no reason to give up. It's
      pretty simple
      > circuitry to fix.
      >
      > Bob
    • us21090
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 18, 2007
        Ron,

        Comments in-line...

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Applegate" <bob@...> wrote:
        [...]
        > To record (and maybe retrieve) from tape, you had to clear decimal
        mode. Right
        > off I don't remember the key sequence.>
        [...]
        > Bob

        For recording or playback you need to clear the decimal mode setting
        location 00F1 to 0. The key sequence:
        [AD] [0] [0] [F] [1]
        [DA] [0] [0]

        BTW, this is is according to the MOS Kim-1 Hints Guide, item 8. One
        copy:
        http://www.commodore.ca/manuals/kim1/kim1_hints.txt
        Item 9 talks about other cassette troubleshooting suggestions.

        You've probably done this, but if you haven't also see section "4.2
        USING THE AUDIO TAPE RECORDER" in the MOS Kim-1 Users Guide. An
        online copy:
        http://www.commodore.ca/manuals/kim1/kim1_users_guide.txt

        Summarizing from the Users Guide (again in section 4.2):

        * Clear decimal mode by entering 00 in location 00F1.

        * Define the ID number of the data block to be loaded from tape. Load
        ID number into address 17F9. If you specify an ID = 00, the ID number
        recorded on the tape will be ignored and the system will read the
        first valid data block encountered on the tape. The data read from
        the tape will be loaded into memory address as specified on the tape.
        Specifying an ID = FF is similar to ID = 00 except that the data
        block will be loaded into successive memory locations beginning at the
        address specified in locations 17F5 and 17F6 (SAL, SAH) instead of the
        locations specified on the tape.

        * Select the starting address of the Tape Load program. This address
        is l873 HEX.

        * Press the [GO] key. The KIM-1 system is now waiting for the
        appearance of data from the tape unit.

        * Load the cassette and, presuming you do not know where on the tape
        the data block is recorded, rewind the tape to its starting position.
        Check the volume control setting.

        * Start the audio tape unit in its Play mode and observe that the tape
        begins to move.

        * Wait for the KIM-1 display to relight showing 0000 xx. This means
        the data block has been loaded successfully from the tape into the
        KIM-1 memory. If the display relights with FFFF xx, the correct data
        block has been found but there has been an error detected during the
        read operation. If the tape continues to run and the display never
        relights, the system has not been successful in finding the data block
        with the specific ID number you requested.

        Scott Austin