Museum

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 14, 2007
      Yet another fun day at InfoAge today. Each week on Sunday we get a few more
      visitors than the prior week. Today about 30 people visited in the 1-4pm
      span, including my parents, who wanted to know where I've been spending all
      my time. :)

      The diving club has a conflict for Feb. 10, but we'll still have a MARCH
      workday. I hope that a bunch of people can attend since there's been plenty
      of notice this time. There are many big jobs on our to-do list, so we can
      work in small groups, take turns, whatever. Some of the tasks are:
      - Tear down interior walls of room 9032-A for use as lots more VCF East
      space
      - Get a bunch of the computers in our preview room working for Sunday demos
      - Rearrange the computers in our museum area / do more painting in there,
      etc.

      All of these jobs are equally important. The deconstruction of 9032-A is
      the most timely task, but we can't all work on it simultaneously, since
      there are only so many hammers and crowbars. Working on computers in our
      preview room is obviously the most fun task and the main reason we're here.
      Renovating our museum area is the long-term goal, and it's very satisfying
      every time we get one more room painted, etc. -- real and tangible progress,
      you know?

      Personally, I'm doing as much as I can, when I can. I always arrive early
      on Sunday and stay late after the Wedneday meetings -- I'll work on a
      computer, tear down half a wall, or contribute to helping one of the many
      InfoAge-wide projects. Believe it or not, I've even painted and installed
      carpet. Plenty of other MARCHins have done great things -- Bob Grieb was on
      his hands and knees chiseling concrete in the InfoAge lounge room a few
      months ago! That's real devotion.

      I might go again tomorrow if nothing's happening because of MLK day. As
      usual, I'll take all the help I can get for these impromptu days. The
      biggest thing to remember is that all of the dozens of little tasks do add
      up to the major goal, that is, finishing the facility restoration and
      concentrating on museum exhibits. Not every hour of volunteering has to be
      spent on a huge project.

      If I go tomorrow, then I'll probably arrive in the late morning, so ping me
      tonight if possible.

      - Evan
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 21, 2007
        >>> Each week on Sunday we get a few more visitors than the prior week.

        Well, it happened again. Today was our busiest day since opening last fall.

        I can't be there next week. Have a fundraiser to attend for my cousin who's
        a cancer patient. Can someone else please go and staff our room for the
        afternoon? The official hours are 1-4 but it's fine to go earlier and/or
        stay later if you want to justify the trip.

        Staffing the room only requires that you look presentable and give visitors
        a 10-minute explanation of who we are, what we do, what's on display, and
        what's in our plans. During any downtime you can play with vintage
        computers, read a book, check out the other museum space, or whatever.

        - Evan

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • evan@snarc.net
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 14, 2010
          Visitor just now says he worked at Perkin-Elmer ... he went ga-ga over our 3210. Then he asked if there's any chance we had an Altair or IMSAI ... "Come into the next room," I told him...
        • Jeffrey Brace
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 14, 2010
            Sounds great ! Is this guy worth interviewing about his time there ?

             How did it go today with the organizing and the tours ?

            Jeff B.

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 14, 2010
              Nah, lots of people used that stuff, and he doesn't have any special connection to Ft. Monmouth etc.

              Busy today but not overwhelming. British guy might have some Sinclair donations for us.

              From: "Jeffrey Brace" <ark72axow@...>
              Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:41:56 -0500
              To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
              Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Museum

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 13, 2010
                Starting today, we closed our museum and began working on our new space.  (And thus, I will change the new ad to read, "Opening this fall...")

                Jeff B., Jeff F., and I all started working around 1:30 today.  We cleared about 90% of the new space, and moved what's left to one end.  We didn't finish clearing it all because there are some things we're not sure where to relocate; Fred (etc.) will help us with that.

                In the clear part, we swept dust all day!  Nels gave us a sawdust/oil mix which prevents dust clouds.  We sprinkled that all over the floor and it definitely worked.  Just from a good sweeping, the floor looks much better.  We'll finish this task next week (or possibly this Wednesday night.)

                We also moved some filing cabinets and some furniture.

                I know this doesn't sound like much work for three people, but by 5:00 we were tired and sweating!

                Our next major steps are 1. paint the floor, and 2. build the perimeter faux-wall.  (InfoAge will help us.)

                Something I forget to mention in past messages about our new section is that there's an exterior-facing back door.  So, our future rescues can be brought directly to our section, rather than navigating through complex paths and such.
              • evan@snarc.net
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 27, 2010
                  For anyone who cares, I only semi-skimped on our new museum floor paint. :) We're not doing the acid wash or primer, but we are using one-part epoxy concrete paint, which allegedly sticks better and lasts longer, vs. slightly cheaper porch/floor paint that Fred recommended.
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 27, 2010
                    Our painting went well. Bill Dromgoole showed up in the late morning
                    and Jeff B. joined us around 2:00. We got 4/5ths of the floor painted.
                    Need another couple of hours and the floor will be done. True, the
                    paint illuminated some places where we didn't clean well enough, and it
                    also emphasized some places where the floor has nooks and crannies, but
                    mostly it's good and certainly better than unpainted.

                    Funniest moment of the day: BD realizing that he left the paint cap on a
                    window sill .... waaaaay back in the just-painted section. :)

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 27, 2010
                      LOL.

                      Even though it was a bit hot, it went quickly with three people. I hope we can finish cleaning, sweeping, moving and painting the last section next time. So that we can get to the fun stuff of setting up the computers, library etc.

                      Let me know when the next work day is and I will be there to help out again.

                      Jeff B.
                        Our painting went well.  Bill Dromgoole showed up in the late morning
                      and Jeff B. joined us around 2:00.  We got 4/5ths of the floor painted.
                      Need another couple of hours and the floor will be done.  True, the
                      paint illuminated some places where we didn't clean well enough, and it
                      also emphasized some places where the floor has nooks and crannies, but
                      mostly it's good and certainly better than unpainted.

                      Funniest moment of the day: BD realizing that he left the paint cap on a
                      window sill .... waaaaay back in the just-painted section.   :)

                      > For anyone who cares, I only semi-skimped on our new museum floor paint.  :)  We're not doing the acid wash or primer, but we are using one-part epoxy concrete paint, which allegedly sticks better and lasts longer, vs. slightly cheaper porch/floor paint that Fred recommended.

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 30, 2010
                        I checked out our freshly dry painted floor tonight.  It looks decent.  There are a few spots we have to go over with a second coat.  Myself, Steve G., and "HVAC Lou" moved some of the last bits of junk from our remaining unpainted area.  I'll try to get there sometime this Saturday afternoon/evening to finish up.  That day is "Wall Day" and InfoAge might have a booth, so I volunteered to bring a computer and talk up any interested citizens.  It's from 11-11 but I can't imagine we will stay so late.

                        Fred is pleased as well.  He asked if we also plan to paint the hallway floor in our new section and I said yes.
                      • evan@snarc.net
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 2 11:17 PM
                          Hi all,

                          Work on our new museum space will be on hold this weekend due to the holiday. However, if anyone really wants to work, I won't object ... in fact any such work may be more efficient than usual because I won't be there! :) Just let me know by tomorrow night.

                          We may be able to do some work on Wednesday afternoon/evening next week. To be determined.
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 3, 2010
                            Not a lot of visitors today, but Matt brought cookies, so it was a net positive.
                          • Jeffrey Frady
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 3, 2010
                              What cookies?

                              --
                              See you space cowboy...

                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 3, 2010
                                  yummy coookies !

                                  and testing matt's commodore stuff and copying programs for him to use and hunting for working commodores for MARCH.

                                  it was fun !

                                  To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: evan@...
                                  Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 02:11:07 +0000

                                  Not a lot of visitors today, but Matt brought cookies, so it was a net positive.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 26, 2010
                                    Museum closed today.
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 12, 2011
                                      Good day. A late-20s couple visited and spent an hour in our computer museum. The guy said he might join MARCH. Then six 6-year-old gifted students (all girls) visited with their teacher -- these kids were smart! They loved the big iron; I explained how all the ENIAC programmers were the smartest women at math. They ate it up. Then I taught them some BASIC and gave them all VCF punched cards. They loved it.

                                      Between visitors, myself / Matt / Jeff J. did a lot of cleaning and organizing in our H-bldg storage area and also behind the Room 1 exhibit. When that's done in a few weeks we will expand that exhibit.
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 21, 2011
                                        Really good day at the museum. There was a WW2 seminar so we had many
                                        visitors all day long. Me, Matt M., Jeff B., Jeff J., Don Caselli, and
                                        Nick were all there today. We did some miscellaneous projects between
                                        visitors, but mostly it was good to have the visitors and hang out together.

                                        Some disappointing news: we finally opened the box containing what we
                                        thought was a full, unassembled Morrow S-100 kit. But all it contained
                                        were manuals, CRT, keyboard, and some cables.