Re: Two months until TCF...
- Oops, made a typo: I wrote "turns out I had two of the resistors in
backwards" -- meant that I had resistor #1 where resistor #2 belongs,
and vice-versa -- Bill P. pointed out that there is no such thing as
"backwards" for resistors.
The only thing backwards is my pathetic electrical engineering skills!
LOL, what do you expect, I studied industrial design in college. So
I can draw something or mold something or make something into an
assembly line. Just don't ask me to wire it. :)
--- In firstname.lastname@example.org, "evan947" <evan947@y...>
> Hi everyone... so there are two months until TCF... how are your
> efforts to get everything in working order?
> I hope to finish the portable version of my Apple 1 replica this
> weekend. Fitting all of the parts inside the old PowerBook shell is
> going to be tougher than I expected. It will work, but it will be a
> very tight fit, which means it will also be too challenging to
> deconstruct into a more authentic-looking Apple 1 design (i.e.,
> case, desktop form factor). But I will bring some photos of a realmy
> Apple 1 so people can compare them. Most important, there will be
> some software demos. (I acquired the non-volatile IC mentioned in
> last email about this project.)NJ
> Finally got the batteries I needed from BatteriesPlus, in Whippany,
> -- if you go there, ask for Rick, he was very helpful. I bought twotoo
> packs of five cells each; the cells are C-size nicads, 1.2v, 3000ma.
> Rick explained to me that his store actually welds on the battery
> tabs, instead of soldering them, for strength and to avoid putting
> much heat into contact with the cells. Cool. After that, I stoppedhas
> at TechToys (a big r/c hobby shop) in the nearby town of Parsippany,
> and bought a variable amperage AC/DC quick (peak) charger from a
> company called Duratrax (fond memories of my teenage r/c days!).
> Vince (the replica kit's creator) was able to troubleshoot why my
> replica board worked with a TV but not with the LCD screen -- turns
> out I had two of the resistors in backwards (doh!) so there wasn't
> enough voltage getting to the LCD. (I'm not clear on why the LCD
> stricter voltage requirements than the TV... oh well.)weekend,
> The final step, before I assemble it all into the laptop this
> is to build a simple voltage regulator to convert the 12v from thethis
> batteries into 5v for the board. I found an extremely simple way of
> making this, and put the .PDF diagram into the "Files" section of
> Yahoo group.tool
> So, if anyone hears about an electrical fire or a terrible Dremel
> accident this weekend in central NJ, you can assume it was me. :)
> -- Evan "Case modder gone bad" Koblentz
> Hi everyone... so there are two months until TCF... how are yourBeen meaning to reply to this for a while...
> efforts to get everything in working order?
I have fitted a newer switcher PS in my OSI C4P-MF. This is due to
the problem that the computer currently draws 7.2 amps and the existing
(factory original) PS was a pair of linear 3 amp supplies, Deltron
QPS-1's. OSI claimed that they were 3.5 amp supplies, but the original
Deltron documentation says 3. The computer will run with the original
supplies, but they quickly overheat. If left operating for more than
about 30 minutes, the solder on the supplies will start to flow. I am
quite pleased with this modification. I have been very careful and can
reverse it (restore to factory original condition) with about 15 minutes
of screwdriver action and about two minutes with a soldering iron. The
soldering is required because OSI always soldered their AC connections.
The modification was a challenge because the metal frames of the original
PS's are integral to the structure of the computer. Anyway, I have done
several tests, having the computer operating for up to 18 hours with no
For my Sol, I usually run CP/M on it. Jim Battle has several programs on
his web site that I would like to be able to easily run. They were
originally loaded from cassette tape and are stored in "ent" files, the
ASCII data stream you would usually see coming in over the cassette port.
They are also "ORG'd" at address 0x0000 which conflicts with CP/M. I am
attempting to write a program that will load one of these files into memory,
converting the ASCII to binary and buffering any writes to the first 512
bytes of memory out of the way until the entire file is read (after that,
we don't need CP/M any more) then move the block where it belongs and
jump to it.
One other thing I'd like to do is to buy and fit a new CRT into my ADM-3A
(which I use as a terminal for several of my S-100 boxes). It currently
has a good bit of screen burn and my secondary ADM-3A has the dreaded CRT
mold problem, recently discussed on classiccmp.