Vintagecomputer.net update

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 11, 2007
      Hi - I have made an update to my web site, vintagecomputer.net.

      Bill D
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 14, 2007
        Bill,

        As usual, the web site looks great. Where did you find the "Magnavox"? I'm assuming the guts were installed in the case a some time after original manufacture, right?

        Jim

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 15, 2007
          Jim.
          Thanks.
          It was made at Magnavox I believe because the inside label is from
          Magnavox, I assume in the lab or engineering office. Do you think it's a
          binary counter? Can you read what's printed on the label? That would
          really help me figure out what they called it.
          Bill

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 15, 2007
            I should say the bottom label, not the inside label. It is very possible
            that someone used the Magnavox box to house the electronics OR it was made
            in the shop at Magnavox with parts lying around. If you look on the front,
            you can see that the light panel is covering up something that was
            underneath. (vintagecomputer.net)

            bd

            At 09:04 AM 1/15/2007 -0500, you wrote:
            >Jim.
            >Thanks.
            >It was made at Magnavox I believe because the inside label is from
            >Magnavox, I assume in the lab or engineering office. Do you think it's a
            >binary counter? Can you read what's printed on the label? That would
            >really help me figure out what they called it.
            >Bill
            >
            >At 07:16 PM 1/14/2007 -0800, you wrote:
            > >Bill,
            > >
            > >As usual, the web site looks great. Where did you find the "Magnavox"? I'm
            > >assuming the guts were installed in the case a some time after original
            > >manufacture, right?
            > >
            > >Jim

          • Bob Grieb
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 15, 2007
              Bill,

              I think the label says "Reverberation Unit". We decided
              that the box had those old springs in it, the way they used
              to add echo in the 50's and 60s', and someone used the box for
              another project. Looks like a binary counter, as you say.

              Even the counter, or whatever it is, was made using techniques
              that look very sixties to me.

              Bob Grieb

              --- "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

              > I should say the bottom label, not the inside label. It is very
              > possible
              > that someone used the Magnavox box to house the electronics OR it was
              > made
              > in the shop at Magnavox with parts lying around. If you look on the
              > front,
              > you can see that the light panel is covering up something that was
              > underneath. (vintagecomputer.net)
              >
              > bd
              >
              > At 09:04 AM 1/15/2007 -0500, you wrote:
              > >Jim.
              > >Thanks.
              > >It was made at Magnavox I believe because the inside label is from
              > >Magnavox, I assume in the lab or engineering office. Do you think
              > it's a
              > >binary counter? Can you read what's printed on the label? That
              > would
              > >really help me figure out what they called it.
              > >Bill
              > >
              > >At 07:16 PM 1/14/2007 -0800, you wrote:
              > > >Bill,
              > > >
              > > >As usual, the web site looks great. Where did you find the
              > "Magnavox"? I'm
              > > >assuming the guts were installed in the case a some time after
              > original
              > > >manufacture, right?
              > > >
              > > >Jim

              Finding fabulous fares is fun.
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 15, 2007
                I can't say with confidence that is what it says. But I can't say with
                confidence that you're wrong either. I have been puzzling over this label
                for a while now....here is a blown up version:
                http://vintagecomputer.net/Magnavox/serial_number_label_large.jpg

                The lesson here is to remember to use good handwriting.

                Ultimately it's the components that will reveal the purpose of this box. I
                am open to more opinions.

                Bill

                Message 7 of 10 , May 23, 2007
                  HI

                  I have updated my web site, vintagecomputer.net

                  hope you like it.

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 23, 2007
                    I should add, here is what's covered this time...

                    Topics:
                    Univac 1219 Military Computer (including rare sales manual)
                    Commodore Plus/4 Easter Egg
                    Happy 30th Commodore PET
                    Making an IBM 1.1 Boot disk

                    Pictures:
                    -TRS 80 Model 100
                    -MITS Altair 8800b
                    -MITS Altair 680b

                    more
                  • Dan
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 24, 2007
                      Bill,

                      That's a good story about the Univac 1219.
                      But I like to see the components on the dual nor gate module.
                      I like reading old components -- even if they're not IC chips :)
                      But I found it in that directory of pics on there [didnt see a direct link]
                      http://vintagecomputer.net/univac/1219/univac_1219_dual-nor-gate_top.jpg
                      I just couldnt see which transistors they used on there.
                      One of my old projects around '73 was building logic gates from discrete
                      transistors.

                      =Dan

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 24, 2007
                        I'll take a look
                        BIll

                        > Bill,
                        >
                        > That's a good story about the Univac 1219.
                        > But I like to see the components on the dual nor gate module.
                        > I like reading old components -- even if they're not IC chips :)
                        > But I found it in that directory of pics on there [didnt see a direct
                        > link]
                        > http://vintagecomputer.net/univac/1219/univac_1219_dual-nor-gate_top.jpg
                        > I just couldnt see which transistors they used on there.
                        > One of my old projects around '73 was building logic gates from discrete
                        > transistors.
                        >
                        > =Dan
                        >
                        > [ My Corner of Cyberspace http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]
                        >

                        > B. Degnan wrote:
                        >>
                        >> HI
                        >>
                        >> I have updated my web site, vintagecomputer.net
                        >>
                        >> hope you like it.
                        >>
                        >> Bill

                        >> 3:59 PM
                        >>

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links