RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: Bill's plan for a disk boot archive distribution network

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2007
      >>> I really don't care what others think of this, and preaching on this point will result in me ignoring your comments.

      Kelly, please don't take my prior response as a put-down.  I didn't mean it that way at all.  I'm glad to hear the details in your current reply, i.e., that you'll use ImageDisk and other pre-existing methods as much as possible.

      That's where we agree the most.  But I think there is a problem in our hobby about WHY nobody has succeeded in making such a repository.  I don't know the answer, but if anyone figures it out, then I'm sure Jay West would love to hear.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 2, 2007
        To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

        >>> I really don't care what others think of this, and preaching on this point will result in me ignoring your comments.

        This was in reference to my stance on commercial software, not what you said. I do otherwise care.
      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 2, 2007

          ---- "B Degnan" b...@...

          > your standard predicable reactions. [that's a complete quote.]

          Evan Koblentz posted:

          >Rant: I also think Herb's comment extends to many other aspects of
          our hobby. In general, I think our hobby is too incestuous and
          fragmented. ....The result is multiple attempts at every little
          thing, each attempt with a bunch of redundant users and/or a bunch of
          unique, loyal users, often not knowing about the other attempts. I
          think our hobby needs more regional user groups like MARCH, more
          openness to newcomers and youth, and less in-fighting over whose site
          or forum gets to be the meta-portal.

          -----------------------------------

          To Kelly:

          Actually, speaking for myself, I don't see very much disagreement from
          Kelly about what I said. I said "use Dave's program" - Kelly says he
          can use it on 80%-90% of his disks. I said "support Dave's archive" -
          Kelly says he'd be glad to do so in principle, making his
          Dunfield-compatible disk images available to all. I appreciate Kelly's
          extensive response, and what he plans to do: it's consistent in large
          part with what I was commenting about. I'm glad to offer some responses.

          Dave's archive is simply to provide boot disks, that is system disks.
          Kelly apparently has a larger plan, to provide a general archive of
          whatever is on his 1500-disk collection - boot disks, utilities,
          commercial software. And he plans to do that on his own, for free
          apparently. Hey, what he does is his business. Others have established
          similar on-line archives of software, or manual images. (I take no
          position on the legal issues involved - I am no lawyer.) Kelly may end
          up creating the largest single archive; my general observation is that
          there are MANY archives of smaller collections which overlap, but
          there's room for more (but not more formats IMHO).

          Much of what I posted was about the propostion that someone can offer
          this as a service for some kind of FEE, and to postal mail actual
          disks. This is what Bill apparently proposes. Again, my response is
          that people like Kelly will offer their stuff for free download,
          immediately - and that you can't compete with that. Only people who
          are unable to use such download services to make their own disks will
          pay for someone to do it for them. Or, people who have specific
          hardware which can't be supported on ordinary PC's hardware, as Kelly
          describes. I know these issues first-hand, in the manuals and floppy
          business, as I wrote. There may be a service component to this that
          can be worked. When "free" won't do the job, you gotta pay or wait for
          work to be done. Good luck to anyone who does that, including myself,
          including Bill for that matter.

          Kelly asks specifically, "What happens if something happens to Dave?"
          Dave has already answered that: his program is on the archive site,
          the archive site is ALREADY on the cccomp Web server and not Dave's
          servers. In a way, *Kelly* is offering to enhance the archive, just as
          others have when they send Dave a disk image. As long as Dunfield's
          archive with his imaging programs exists and is mirrored, it will
          exist. (Don Maslin's service was physical disks, in the days before
          the "free" Web, and it died with him.) There are other archives on
          the Web from people or organizations no longer active, surviving by
          being mirrored. Hey, *I* was approached recently and asked if I wanted
          *MY* Web site mirrored. For free of course.

          The Web, and free access, has DEcentralized these kinds of activities,
          other than specialized, specific services such as I mentioned above. A
          Web search will find any archive anywhere; blame Google.

          If Kelly wants to do what he intends to do, for free, then more power
          to him. I've forgotten that Kelly does high-class work via his
          trs80 site; I'm not a Tandy guy. How Kelly sustains that kind and
          amount of activity is up to him. If he has a business model, I hope it
          works - I'd love to find such a model myself, in a world where people
          work for free, give stuff for free, get access to it for free,
          immediately.

          Kelly says he tried to discuss this in another discussion group. I"ve
          discussed this myself, years ago, in comp.os.cpm. Search for it
          if you want, it was about archives of manuals, manuals for payment vs.
          PDF's for free. I was told that the economic challenges I mentioned
          were, and I quote, "collateral damage" from the consequence of
          then-new scanning and Web technology, of the "free" activities I
          mention above. When people can get stuff for free, they don't wanna
          talk about economics. I could not revive the discussion after that,
          it's old news.

          Similar trends are occuring in other domains where there is old
          content on old media. There is a mad rush by (excuse me) non-producers
          of content, to take old content on old media and to put it "freely" on
          the Web. Even the Library of Congress is doing it - old movies, old
          images. Amazon and Google copy whole books - just for 'searching" of
          course, the economics are that they get your eyeballs, for ads. Snore
          snore, old news, zzzzz....It's like talking water to fish, today.

          To Bill:

          Regarding Bill's brief response: I'm sorry that Bill did not see fit
          to respond in any detail. Maybe he will later. If all he sees is a
          repudiation of his proposal, I'm sorry for that, it's hard to respond
          to something of that sort. But I can't read his mind, I can't guess at
          what "pedictable reactions" he may have beyond disappointment.

          Believe me, I hesitated and dithered about posting anything at all. I
          don't want to rain on anyone's parade, I have no desire to be Chairman
          of the MARCH Spoiler Committee. So I presented my dilemma as best I
          could. But it's a real dilemma, and I hope Bill takes time to consider
          that dilemma.

          to Evan:

          Regarding fragmentation, there is no central portal because the Web
          has no center. And it's all on the Web - for most people, anyway. That
          may be "fragmented" as Evan said and Kelly suggested, but Google will
          aggregate it for you. As for fragmented plans and activities, anybody
          with time and some resources can compete on the Web with anyone else
          on a fairly equal footing. Evan, you want "openness", that's it! At
          least that's how it used to be...this is changing in the usual ways,
          as big money and spammers both clog the Web; but that's another
          discussion.

          On the other hand, MARCH and other old computer collectors and
          organizations who have a PHYSICAL presence, PHYSICAL assets, and
          people, can aggregate their PHYSICAL stuff and resources to advantage,
          as you suggest. But when physical assets, like disks or (in my
          business) manuals can be turned into on-line content, you can't
          compete with the drive to "free on the Web". That's the challenge, or
          as I put it, "where's the business model that competes with free?"

          And I agree with Evan that a bit of homework goes a long way to avoid
          duplicated work. I don't care for duplicated work; much of the content
          on my Web site is about the work of others. Hey, I support those who
          are gettin' it done! Nothing wrong with new ideas and proposals; but
          in the end it's work and persistance and resources that produce
          results which stick around. However....on the Web there are a lot of
          dead Web sites, dormant efforts. Some get revived...again, another
          discussion, but it adds to apparent fragmentation.

          Contrary to Evan, I see nothing wrong with a MARCH discussion of all
          this, consider the sequence. Someone posted about wanting a boot disk.
          That struck a chord as various people offered far larger proposals
          which may, or may not, involve MARCH as an organization to aggregate
          such disks or requests for them. Herb and Kelly say "hey, it's been
          done (more or less)". Where else does MARCH do business, to decide
          what to do? - Evan himself directed *ME* here. And Kelly said he
          could not raise the discussion elsewhere.

          How about that: MARCH serves a purpose! Good work, Evan! ;)

          Herb Johnson

          Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 2, 2007
            Herb(All),

            All I was saying is that there any many people who just want some boot
            disk or another and do not have the time or resources to make their own
            from an internet download. I just thought it would be nice to offer such
            a service through MARCH to those who need a little help and/or are less
            technical. Not everyone can make a cable for an 8" disk drive to a modern
            PC, and the donation idea was just an afterthought.

            To be organized by having a list of the boot disks that MARCH'ers have
            offered to make is just a way to reduce support questions.

            .Nothing more.

            The responses to my post were predictable.

            Bill
          • Herb Johnson
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 3, 2007
              --- "B Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

              > Herb(All),
              >
              > All I was saying is that there any many people who just want some boot
              > disk or another and do not have the time or resources to make their own
              > from an internet download. I just thought it would be nice to offer
              such
              > a service through MARCH to those who need a little help and/or are less
              > technical. Not everyone can make a cable for an 8" disk drive to a
              modern
              > PC, and the donation idea was just an afterthought.
              >
              > To be organized by having a list of the boot disks that MARCH'ers have
              > offered to make is just a way to reduce support questions.
              >
              > .Nothing more.
              >
              > The responses to my post were predictable.
              >
              > Bill

              I don't know what to make of "predictable"; but I can respond to your
              idea above. Part of what you are suggesting can be read as, "let's
              just share what MARCH members can do with their own systems".

              Here's one idea. MARCH can help gather members and others to offer to
              make system disks on their own equipment. MARCH can create a Web page
              list of systems and owners (but no email addresses) and forward email
              requests accordingly to those owners. That isolation protects
              everyone's privacy and avoids spammers who gather email addresses. The
              list can be on MARCH's Web site, and MARCH members can encourage other
              archive sites to point to that list, so Web searches will find it.

              As I pointed out, it's often the case that individual system owners
              respond to requests for boot disks. I see that all the time in
              comp.os.cpm. I forward requests for help from my own Web site, in the
              way I've described above, from my site's descriptions of other
              people's work on S-100 systems or disk formats, etc.

              Evan talked about "regional" support and about bringing in "new"
              computer collectors. This is a simple way to get involved, with MARCH
              doing the Web work and aggregating interests and inquiries among
              system owners old and new.

              Any additional services, such as suggested by Bill, can emerge later
              from the gathered base of system owners. If someone wants to do a
              "universal" kind of boot disk service, more power to them, put them on
              the list.

              This does not address Kelly's archive of general software, but he
              plans to offer that on his own terms; and that's not a hardware issue
              like system disks are. (Kelly said so, that a PC can copy 90% of what
              he has.) The original request which started this thread was for boot
              disks. Kelly has some system disks himself, he can be on that proposed
              list too if he wishes.

              Jim suggested some new software or hardware may be needed; I don't see
              that myself, the responses so far suggest old or current software and
              hardware, or sometimes some specialized tools already in existance and
              mentioned, will do the work. I'm familiar enough with that stuff to
              agree. What about the future, Jim asks? Hard to predict the future,
              I'm still working on the *past*. ;) But my preference is to build on
              available efforts, not start new ones. Others like to do "new" stuff;
              again, their preference.