Bill's plan for a disk boot archive distribution network

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 31, 2006
      <snip>

      Bill, if your willing to brainstorm a bit on data requirements, I'd be happy to make some of my initial documentation available, along with some disk images.

      Kelly

      Here is my plan for a boot disk archive:

      1) A person goes to a central location to review a comprehensive list of all boot disks available in the archive

      2) The person scans the list and then contacts the library/archivist to request a copy of the diskette(s)

      3) The archivist acts as a go-between for the requestor, and contacts the person(s) who have agreed to burn a copy of the requested boot disk

      4) In one form or another the requestor gets confirmation and an address to send a SASE containing a blank diskette of the required media.

      5) The archivist or associate of the archive makes a copy of the requested boot disk using the disk sent by the requestor and mails it back in the SASE. It is presumed that the disk is tested on the type of system native to the boot disk or the equivalent.

      6) A friendly request for a donation to MARCH (the archivists) is also included?

      I like the idea of an Internet resource for downloading boot disks, but it would be so much easier if they disks were burned directly from the original system rather than converted back and forth. Some boot disks are just too hard to transfer to and from the Internet. It's so much easier to test on the real McCoy as well. In addition to being a good hobbyist citizen it's good to exercise these systems, keeping them in working order by making boot disks.

      I would be willing to participate in such a project as coordinator/list maintainer via the marchclub.org web site.   I probably will move forward and set something up, but I am busy and it may be a few months before I am ready.  In the mean time, please feel free to email me directly if you're interested in being being a supplier of boot disks, and what systems, and what OS/versions you have.

      Bill Degnan
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 31, 2006
        Bill,

        This is excellent as we can start and people can contribute without any new infrastructure (other than some programming on your part). The download library archive can come later when/if we have the need, technology and energy. To start, everyone needs to inventory their collections and decide whether they can volunteer to provide copies of their boot floppies. How better to start the New Year!

        Jim

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2007
          > From: B. Degnan <billdeg@...>

          > Here is my plan for a boot disk archive:

          [summary: a central archive, which has a person who makes boot
          disks upon request, from original disks, on original systems,
          for a fee to MARCH]

          Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

          > Bill,
          >
          > This is excellent as we can start and people can contribute without
          any new infrastructure (other than some programming on your part). The
          download library archive can come later when/if we have the need,
          technology and energy. To start, everyone needs to inventory their
          collections and decide whether they can volunteer to provide copies of
          their boot floppies. How better to start the New Year!

          > Jim

          I respectfully but regrettably disagree with the above plans and
          propositions. In fact there are TWO proposals: Bill's to provide a
          service to duplicate disks on original machines; and Jim's to use
          Linux and some Linux programs (possibly new ones) to create an image
          archive on some Linux machines.

          Oh, I also see that Kelly has posted yet another proposal, to use a
          Catweasel brand controller on a PC to create an archive. (This is a
          hardware card with software to bit-copy disks, very briefly.)

          In any case, as I posted earlier, Dave Dunfield ALREADY HAS
          ESTABLISHED AN ARCHIVE, AND SOFTWARE. I don't understand posts that
          say they can't find an archive (Jim) or that there are not adequate
          archives (Kelly). Dave has written a program which runs on PC
          compatibles, which will read a variety of boot disks to image files;
          and recreate those boot disks. His program works under MS-DOS, but the
          disks read and written are NOT MS-DOS DISKS - they are image copies
          from many NON-MS-DOS system disks. It's all online, and for free. I
          think it is tough to compete with free, online archives (in response
          in particular to Bill's suggested "donation" service).

          So, ONCE AGAIN, look at Dave's work FOR YOURSELF. The archive and
          programs are at:

          http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm

          The README file from Dave Dunfield's Web page on duplicating boot
          disks is informative:

          http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/readme.txt

          I'm sorry that Dave's work was apparently not examined - for instance,
          Jim would have seen some of the very system disks he said he could not
          find!

          One issue that remains, which is what the ORIGINAL POST TO THIS THREAD
          BROUGHT UP, is that some people find it hard to use on-line image
          archives and their programs. Anyone who proposes to do the copying
          personally instead, has to compete with 1) any other original computer
          owner who'd make a copy; 2) anyone else with Dave's programs; and 3)
          anyone else with their OWN archive and hardware and methods (like
          Catweasel owners).

          I have no idea how to compete with those people, much less for any
          sort of "fee". I have reason to know the issue. For many MANY years, I
          offered S-100 manuals for a copy fee. I still do - but now, there are
          online manuals for free download. That service is now limited to
          making REALLY GOOD copies available instead of poorly-scanned PDF's. I
          know first-hand what "free" and "download" does to any service which
          charges a fee and must be mailed, etc.

          I also have a clue about floppy disks, drives, and controllers. My Web
          site has technical support pages for them. I work on these often, for
          fees. There are technical issues about copying non-native disks; but
          disks from MANY systems can be copied on a PC, with no, some, or a
          little bit of hardware added. And, as with manuals, any system disk
          once imaged can be thrown on a Web site and is freely available.

          My interest and parallel experiences are what prompts me to post in
          opposition, even though it's likely I'll just annoy my colleagues for
          doing so. I'm very reluctant to post, but already I see this idea is
          getting "support" (which so far amounts to one new direction per
          post), with no further mention of the Dunfield archive.

          So, why not add to Dave's archive, and make use of it? Support what
          exists, don't recreate it! Help people use it, not create something
          new from scratch!

          Why make something new? Funny thing, Jim said in his post that all the
          interest in computing is going to something "new, not old" - everyone
          wants to support new computers, he said. Is this a case in point - a
          "new" archive is more interesting than an "old" one?

          Herb Johnson

          Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 1, 2007
            I've stayed out of this thread so far. Kelly, Bill, et al: I admire your
            ambition, but Herb did a good job articulating his opinion, and I agree with
            it quite strongly.

            >>> So, why not add to Dave's archive, and make use of it? Support what
            exists, don't recreate it! Help people use it, not create something new from
            scratch!

            Even if Dave's archive did not exist, I think this should be a cctalk
            thread, not a MARCH thread.

            Rant: I also think Herb's comment extends to many other aspects of our
            hobby. In general, I think our hobby is too incestuous and fragmented. Too
            many people don't do enough homework before making a declaration or starting
            a new web site or forum. The result is multiple attempts at every little
            thing, each attempt with a bunch of redundant users and/or a bunch of
            unique, loyal users, often not knowing about the other attempts. I think
            our hobby needs more regional user groups like MARCH, more openness to
            newcomers and youth, and less in-fighting over whose site or forum gets to
            be the meta-portal.

            Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

> [...]

            added. And, as with manuals, any system disk once imaged can be thrown on a
            Web site and is freely available.

            My interest and parallel experiences are what prompts me to post in
            opposition, even though it's likely I'll just annoy my colleagues for doing
            so. I'm very reluctant to post, but already I see this idea is getting
            "support" (which so far amounts to one new direction per post), with no
            further mention of the Dunfield archive.

            So, why not add to Dave's archive, and make use of it? Support what exists,
            don't recreate it! Help people use it, not create something new from
            scratch!

            Why make something new? Funny thing, Jim said in his post that all the
            interest in computing is going to something "new, not old" - everyone wants
            to support new computers, he said. Is this a case in point - a "new" archive

            href="http://www.retrotechnology.net/herbs_stuff/"> domain mirror</a> my
            email address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com if no reply, try in a
            few days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net "Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI,
            8-inch floppy drives S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Kelly Leavitt
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 1, 2007
              And I disagree with much of Herb's and Evan's responses. Sorry guys :(

              Here's why:

              I don't think Dave does not offer enough. In fact, he offers quite a bit. I just have much more than he has online, and that others may be interested in. For instance, someone found out I have a disk needed for formatting the old 8" hard disks by Tandy. Using Dave's ImageDisk, I made a copy and shipped it out to him. It worked.

              I would gladly ship the 1500 to 1800 8" disks I have here to Dave, but I don't think he'd be interested in imaging and classifying them. Instead, I have been working on (for the last 3 months) a searchable archive of all the disks in my inventory using ImageDisk to make the images wherever possible. I am still classifying disks and formats, but I can successfully read 80 to 90 percent of what I have right now using ImageDisk. My only contribution is to catalog the data, and I fully intend to use imagedisk wherever I can. I also intend to offer commercial software packages ala www.trs-80.com (that is, only for software that is not currently commercially available), up to the point of receiving C&D orders. I really don't care what others think of this, and preaching on this point will result in me ignoring your comments. This is an active decision I have made as an individual. However, I cannot ask the same of others. But in all honesty, who would actually be damaged if I allowed a copy of Scripsit to be downloaded and installed on a Tandy Xenix machine?

              The intent is to offer all the images I make directly to Dave for linking to or copying from his site at his discretion, and to make it freely available to all. Any that I can directly attribute to being CP/M will be offered to Gaby and the CP/M archive. I intend to share and spread the word.

              I only suggest a catweasel for the instances where Dave's program won't work. ImageDisk will only work on disks that use fairly standard FM and MFM formats as defined by the WD chipsets. It cannot handle Apple II, Amiga, TRS-80 PDD format, early Macs, and others. I am working on a program to read these disks using a catweasel and then write them in ImageDisk format if possible. It is generic enough that I believe I can follow his format even if the resulting images can't be written using his MS-DOS version.

              You've also seemed to have missed an important point that Bill made. That is, it would be nice to have a CENTRAL repository of who has what disks available and systems for copying them. Regardless of fees and such, there is currently no systematically maintained cross reference. What happens if something happens to Dave? Who will support his site and efforts, or will it go the way of Don Maslin's collection?

              I have tried starting this discussion several times on CCTALK, but there are no takers. Instead they'd rather discuss bongo drum bandwidth.

              I have researched up and down the web, and I'm apparently the only one to offer many of the disk images I offer. I just need to finish the interface and get more ImageDisk images entered into the archive. Here's a partial list of what I've been able to copy:

              These are all for the model II, 12, 16, 6000 series:
              TRSDOS II 4.1 v1
              LS-DOS
              Xenix 3.1.1 (5 disks)
              Xenix 3.0 Development system (13 disks)
              P&T CP/M
              Scripsit
              Scripsit Speller
              ProFile 16+

              Model 2000:
              MS Assembler
              MS Fortran
              Multiplan
              MS-DOS

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 1, 2007
                your standard predicable reactions.
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 1, 2007
                  >>> I really don't care what others think of this, and preaching on this point will result in me ignoring your comments.

                  Kelly, please don't take my prior response as a put-down.  I didn't mean it that way at all.  I'm glad to hear the details in your current reply, i.e., that you'll use ImageDisk and other pre-existing methods as much as possible.

                  That's where we agree the most.  But I think there is a problem in our hobby about WHY nobody has succeeded in making such a repository.  I don't know the answer, but if anyone figures it out, then I'm sure Jay West would love to hear.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 2, 2007
                    To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                    >>> I really don't care what others think of this, and preaching on this point will result in me ignoring your comments.

                    This was in reference to my stance on commercial software, not what you said. I do otherwise care.
                  • Herb Johnson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 2, 2007

                      ---- "B Degnan" b...@...

                      > your standard predicable reactions. [that's a complete quote.]

                      Evan Koblentz posted:

                      >Rant: I also think Herb's comment extends to many other aspects of
                      our hobby. In general, I think our hobby is too incestuous and
                      fragmented. ....The result is multiple attempts at every little
                      thing, each attempt with a bunch of redundant users and/or a bunch of
                      unique, loyal users, often not knowing about the other attempts. I
                      think our hobby needs more regional user groups like MARCH, more
                      openness to newcomers and youth, and less in-fighting over whose site
                      or forum gets to be the meta-portal.

                      -----------------------------------

                      To Kelly:

                      Actually, speaking for myself, I don't see very much disagreement from
                      Kelly about what I said. I said "use Dave's program" - Kelly says he
                      can use it on 80%-90% of his disks. I said "support Dave's archive" -
                      Kelly says he'd be glad to do so in principle, making his
                      Dunfield-compatible disk images available to all. I appreciate Kelly's
                      extensive response, and what he plans to do: it's consistent in large
                      part with what I was commenting about. I'm glad to offer some responses.

                      Dave's archive is simply to provide boot disks, that is system disks.
                      Kelly apparently has a larger plan, to provide a general archive of
                      whatever is on his 1500-disk collection - boot disks, utilities,
                      commercial software. And he plans to do that on his own, for free
                      apparently. Hey, what he does is his business. Others have established
                      similar on-line archives of software, or manual images. (I take no
                      position on the legal issues involved - I am no lawyer.) Kelly may end
                      up creating the largest single archive; my general observation is that
                      there are MANY archives of smaller collections which overlap, but
                      there's room for more (but not more formats IMHO).

                      Much of what I posted was about the propostion that someone can offer
                      this as a service for some kind of FEE, and to postal mail actual
                      disks. This is what Bill apparently proposes. Again, my response is
                      that people like Kelly will offer their stuff for free download,
                      immediately - and that you can't compete with that. Only people who
                      are unable to use such download services to make their own disks will
                      pay for someone to do it for them. Or, people who have specific
                      hardware which can't be supported on ordinary PC's hardware, as Kelly
                      describes. I know these issues first-hand, in the manuals and floppy
                      business, as I wrote. There may be a service component to this that
                      can be worked. When "free" won't do the job, you gotta pay or wait for
                      work to be done. Good luck to anyone who does that, including myself,
                      including Bill for that matter.

                      Kelly asks specifically, "What happens if something happens to Dave?"
                      Dave has already answered that: his program is on the archive site,
                      the archive site is ALREADY on the cccomp Web server and not Dave's
                      servers. In a way, *Kelly* is offering to enhance the archive, just as
                      others have when they send Dave a disk image. As long as Dunfield's
                      archive with his imaging programs exists and is mirrored, it will
                      exist. (Don Maslin's service was physical disks, in the days before
                      the "free" Web, and it died with him.) There are other archives on
                      the Web from people or organizations no longer active, surviving by
                      being mirrored. Hey, *I* was approached recently and asked if I wanted
                      *MY* Web site mirrored. For free of course.

                      The Web, and free access, has DEcentralized these kinds of activities,
                      other than specialized, specific services such as I mentioned above. A
                      Web search will find any archive anywhere; blame Google.

                      If Kelly wants to do what he intends to do, for free, then more power
                      to him. I've forgotten that Kelly does high-class work via his
                      trs80 site; I'm not a Tandy guy. How Kelly sustains that kind and
                      amount of activity is up to him. If he has a business model, I hope it
                      works - I'd love to find such a model myself, in a world where people
                      work for free, give stuff for free, get access to it for free,
                      immediately.

                      Kelly says he tried to discuss this in another discussion group. I"ve
                      discussed this myself, years ago, in comp.os.cpm. Search for it
                      if you want, it was about archives of manuals, manuals for payment vs.
                      PDF's for free. I was told that the economic challenges I mentioned
                      were, and I quote, "collateral damage" from the consequence of
                      then-new scanning and Web technology, of the "free" activities I
                      mention above. When people can get stuff for free, they don't wanna
                      talk about economics. I could not revive the discussion after that,
                      it's old news.

                      Similar trends are occuring in other domains where there is old
                      content on old media. There is a mad rush by (excuse me) non-producers
                      of content, to take old content on old media and to put it "freely" on
                      the Web. Even the Library of Congress is doing it - old movies, old
                      images. Amazon and Google copy whole books - just for 'searching" of
                      course, the economics are that they get your eyeballs, for ads. Snore
                      snore, old news, zzzzz....It's like talking water to fish, today.

                      To Bill:

                      Regarding Bill's brief response: I'm sorry that Bill did not see fit
                      to respond in any detail. Maybe he will later. If all he sees is a
                      repudiation of his proposal, I'm sorry for that, it's hard to respond
                      to something of that sort. But I can't read his mind, I can't guess at
                      what "pedictable reactions" he may have beyond disappointment.

                      Believe me, I hesitated and dithered about posting anything at all. I
                      don't want to rain on anyone's parade, I have no desire to be Chairman
                      of the MARCH Spoiler Committee. So I presented my dilemma as best I
                      could. But it's a real dilemma, and I hope Bill takes time to consider
                      that dilemma.

                      to Evan:

                      Regarding fragmentation, there is no central portal because the Web
                      has no center. And it's all on the Web - for most people, anyway. That
                      may be "fragmented" as Evan said and Kelly suggested, but Google will
                      aggregate it for you. As for fragmented plans and activities, anybody
                      with time and some resources can compete on the Web with anyone else
                      on a fairly equal footing. Evan, you want "openness", that's it! At
                      least that's how it used to be...this is changing in the usual ways,
                      as big money and spammers both clog the Web; but that's another
                      discussion.

                      On the other hand, MARCH and other old computer collectors and
                      organizations who have a PHYSICAL presence, PHYSICAL assets, and
                      people, can aggregate their PHYSICAL stuff and resources to advantage,
                      as you suggest. But when physical assets, like disks or (in my
                      business) manuals can be turned into on-line content, you can't
                      compete with the drive to "free on the Web". That's the challenge, or
                      as I put it, "where's the business model that competes with free?"

                      And I agree with Evan that a bit of homework goes a long way to avoid
                      duplicated work. I don't care for duplicated work; much of the content
                      on my Web site is about the work of others. Hey, I support those who
                      are gettin' it done! Nothing wrong with new ideas and proposals; but
                      in the end it's work and persistance and resources that produce
                      results which stick around. However....on the Web there are a lot of
                      dead Web sites, dormant efforts. Some get revived...again, another
                      discussion, but it adds to apparent fragmentation.

                      Contrary to Evan, I see nothing wrong with a MARCH discussion of all
                      this, consider the sequence. Someone posted about wanting a boot disk.
                      That struck a chord as various people offered far larger proposals
                      which may, or may not, involve MARCH as an organization to aggregate
                      such disks or requests for them. Herb and Kelly say "hey, it's been
                      done (more or less)". Where else does MARCH do business, to decide
                      what to do? - Evan himself directed *ME* here. And Kelly said he
                      could not raise the discussion elsewhere.

                      How about that: MARCH serves a purpose! Good work, Evan! ;)

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 2, 2007
                        Herb(All),

                        All I was saying is that there any many people who just want some boot
                        disk or another and do not have the time or resources to make their own
                        from an internet download. I just thought it would be nice to offer such
                        a service through MARCH to those who need a little help and/or are less
                        technical. Not everyone can make a cable for an 8" disk drive to a modern
                        PC, and the donation idea was just an afterthought.

                        To be organized by having a list of the boot disks that MARCH'ers have
                        offered to make is just a way to reduce support questions.

                        .Nothing more.

                        The responses to my post were predictable.

                        Bill
                      • Herb Johnson
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 3, 2007
                          --- "B Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

                          > Herb(All),
                          >
                          > All I was saying is that there any many people who just want some boot
                          > disk or another and do not have the time or resources to make their own
                          > from an internet download. I just thought it would be nice to offer
                          such
                          > a service through MARCH to those who need a little help and/or are less
                          > technical. Not everyone can make a cable for an 8" disk drive to a
                          modern
                          > PC, and the donation idea was just an afterthought.
                          >
                          > To be organized by having a list of the boot disks that MARCH'ers have
                          > offered to make is just a way to reduce support questions.
                          >
                          > .Nothing more.
                          >
                          > The responses to my post were predictable.
                          >
                          > Bill

                          I don't know what to make of "predictable"; but I can respond to your
                          idea above. Part of what you are suggesting can be read as, "let's
                          just share what MARCH members can do with their own systems".

                          Here's one idea. MARCH can help gather members and others to offer to
                          make system disks on their own equipment. MARCH can create a Web page
                          list of systems and owners (but no email addresses) and forward email
                          requests accordingly to those owners. That isolation protects
                          everyone's privacy and avoids spammers who gather email addresses. The
                          list can be on MARCH's Web site, and MARCH members can encourage other
                          archive sites to point to that list, so Web searches will find it.

                          As I pointed out, it's often the case that individual system owners
                          respond to requests for boot disks. I see that all the time in
                          comp.os.cpm. I forward requests for help from my own Web site, in the
                          way I've described above, from my site's descriptions of other
                          people's work on S-100 systems or disk formats, etc.

                          Evan talked about "regional" support and about bringing in "new"
                          computer collectors. This is a simple way to get involved, with MARCH
                          doing the Web work and aggregating interests and inquiries among
                          system owners old and new.

                          Any additional services, such as suggested by Bill, can emerge later
                          from the gathered base of system owners. If someone wants to do a
                          "universal" kind of boot disk service, more power to them, put them on
                          the list.

                          This does not address Kelly's archive of general software, but he
                          plans to offer that on his own terms; and that's not a hardware issue
                          like system disks are. (Kelly said so, that a PC can copy 90% of what
                          he has.) The original request which started this thread was for boot
                          disks. Kelly has some system disks himself, he can be on that proposed
                          list too if he wishes.

                          Jim suggested some new software or hardware may be needed; I don't see
                          that myself, the responses so far suggest old or current software and
                          hardware, or sometimes some specialized tools already in existance and
                          mentioned, will do the work. I'm familiar enough with that stuff to
                          agree. What about the future, Jim asks? Hard to predict the future,
                          I'm still working on the *past*. ;) But my preference is to build on
                          available efforts, not start new ones. Others like to do "new" stuff;
                          again, their preference.