Re: [midatlanticretro] any vintage computers under the tree/minorrah/etc?

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30, 2006
      >I need the xerox 820, televideo 802, NEC-APC 8" dos and/or cpm86 and
      Victor 9000 cp/m.

      I can make a CP/M boot disk that should work on an 820, but it will be 8"
      I have cp/m 86 disks for the Xerox in 5 /14", but they are untested
      because I have no 5 1/4 drive for the xerox.

      I have a lot of Televideo disks in 5 1/4" that I believe would work for an
      802, but they are untested and not originals. I do not have an 802. I do
      have a Televideo TS 816, which is from this era but does not use a disk
      drive, it's a server with a tape drive for I/O. I have a Telev 801
      terminal that I use to hook up the 816. You could in theory hook an 802
      up to the 816 and format a diskette by using the 816 OS? I also have
      original cp/m disks for newer Televideos (CP/M 2.2), but I am not sure
      that they would work on the 802.

      I have no NEC APC DOS 8".

      I have mostly cpm/86 stuff for the Commodore B700 w. 8088 co-processor,
      but I may have one cp/m 86 for the IBM PC, I have to check/test.

      I do not have anything for the Victor9000, I have never even seen on of
      these in person before.

      MS/IBM DOS's - I have originals with binders of every major MS DOS release
      except for 1.x.

      If anyone sends me a SASE with a diskette and specifies what they need, I
      can try to make a copy and return it to you. The disk must be used for
      "educational/historical purposes" only. Please contact me in advance to
      be sure I have what you're looking for. Although a central archive of
      boot disks is a nice thing to attempt, as long as at least two of us have
      any one kind of working system capable of generating a boot disk and is
      willing to provide the service of making copies/loaners we accomplish the
      same goal. If anyone wants to travel to the DE/MD/PA border, they are
      welcome to bring their hardware projects/use mine for building a boot
      disk/restoration work at my house. I have plenty of space.

      Bill Degnan-
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 30, 2006
        --- "M. Frank" <mmfrank2001@...> wrote:

        > Someone should be putting together a boot disk archive - I've had
        very little luck in downloading disk images and getting them to work
        but I don't have a computer background. I've had no luck with
        teledisk. If I can help anyone out with these disks let me know - I
        may not be able to make copies so you would have to try what I have
        and send them back. Mike

        Mike lists a number of "boot disks", i.e. system diskettes, that he
        has, and some he'd like to have, by system.

        I've followed the issue of a system disk archive in the CP/M world for
        many years. Some years ago a person named Don Maslin offered to make
        physlcal copies of boot disks, for a small fee. When he died, his
        heirs did not continue the service and apparently could not or did not
        negotiate any sale of those disks. So that's a dead end today.

        A new archive and service was discussed in comp.os.cpm but little
        resulted from that discussion. But in the last few years, my colleague
        Dave Dunfield has emerged with both an archive and a disk imaging
        program. Again, this is primarly in the CP/M world but not completely.
        I describe his work and Web links to it on this page;

        http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/s_drives.html#dunfield

        But he provides MS-DOS disk imaging tools which allow a PC compatible
        to create and write to disk some disk images. Refer any questions and
        requests or offers of images to him, via links on my Web site. Other
        links on that Web page are informative; I've built up a great deal of
        information about diskettes and diskette drives and related resources.

        A Google search can find these pages and others.

        As for a service which would provide actual physical diskettes; the
        problem is that when images are available for free, there is no
        economic incentive to offer them for payment. I actually HAVE such a
        service for early early Macs; I get maybe half a dozen requests a
        year, and that because the early Mac format is so unique.

        That said, if Mike has difficulties with these on-line archives, maybe
        someone familiar with either Teledisk or Dave Dunfield's resources and
        help Mike. (Or someone with a matching running system can help of
        course.) I take no position on the legal issues involved, I am not a
        lawyer and offer no legal advice.

        Herb Johnson

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
      • M. Frank
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 31, 2006

          Herb mentions Don Maslin, I have a quick story about the only time I emailed Mr. Maslin:

          About 8 years ago I was looking for a boot disk and I sent an email to Don, he said he had the boot disk but that I should describe the problem in a little more detail, well I did (in very non-technical terms), he replied and said  I didn't need a boot disk but that my eprom on the zpu board was bad;    he then said he would remove the eprom from his zpu board and send it to me as a test.

          I replied that I could never take someones eprom as I'd probably ruin it.  I still can't believe that he offered to do this - he didn't know me and had no reason to trust me

          Happy New Year!

          http://mail.yahoo.com