Re: MARCH is not retro (I hope)

  • msimonsmail
    Message 1 of 2 , May 12, 2005
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Jim Scheef <jscheef@y...> wrote:
      > I know this was discussed briefly a few weeks ago but I just read those
      > messages...
      > MARCH is vintage, not retro. The New Beetle is retro, the original
      Beelte is
      > vintage. Running an old computer game in an emulator on your P4 is
      retro; the
      > Atari machine the game was designed for is vintage.

      But wouldn't the software itself be vintage? In the case of an
      emulator, the emulator is just a tool to help preserve and archive any
      given platform. Sometimes running the original software on the
      original platform is just not possible.

      At some point all the old floppies, tapes, etc. will suffer from
      extreme datarot, or those old drives will no longer sync properly. At
      some point that hardware will no longer run and emulators are useful
      tools to preserve history.

      --
      MS