Re: [midatlanticretro] any vintage computers under the tree/minorrah/etc?

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 26, 2006
      I got:
      Fujifilm Finepix S5200 Digital Camera w/ 1GB XD card
      Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season One on DVD
      Windshield Wipers, Jumper Cables, Flashlight, and Fix-A-Flat for my car (stocking stuffers)
      Star Trek: Legacy for the PC
      Flight Simulator X for the PC
      New Jensen Speakers for my car's front doors
      Boston Legal: Season Two (I don't just like it for Captain Kirk...I mean Shatner)
      Many scratchoff lottery tickets ($7 in wins)

      On 12/26/06, billdeg <billdeg@...> wrote:

      Not for me, but here is a list of some recent additions to my collection

      1973 Paddleball Arcade machine. This is a Williams PONG clone. Takes
      dimes. Needs a new transformer. Worked up to 2004, I was told. The
      display is OK. Owned by Cassidy of atarionline.com, donated to Mark of
      phillyclassic.com, sold to me.

      Xerox 820 - II. with hard drive/disk drive unit, in original boxes -
      Works! I have been able to make copies of the system disks if anyone
      has an 820-II and needs a boot disk or wants to attempt to format a
      same system's hard drive.

      Tandy Radio Shack pocket computer - works OK, screen is a little burned.

      Also, on 12/16/06
      Bryan POP gave me some disk drives - thanks!
      CBM 8250 dual IEEE drive - needs some TLC
      CBM 2031 single IEEE drive - needs a new DOS ROM (I think...5 beeps is
      the error code) I hope to pull one from a more common and sacrifice-
      able VIC 1541 drive

      Bill D

    • M. Frank
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 29, 2006
        Bill I need the system disks for the xerox 820-II (5 1/4), I have the following boot disks: Dec Rainbow, Eagle II, IBM cp/m 86, kaypro II, I, NCR Decisionmate V, northstar horizon, osborne 1, executive, Sanyo MBC 1250, Televideo 803, various TRS-80, Victor 9000 (dos only) Vector 4 (maybe).  I'm fairly sure that most of these work at least they did at one time but they havn't been tested recently.   I need the xerox 820, televideo 802, NEC-APC 8" dos and/or cpm86 and Victor 9000 cp/m.  Someone should be putting together a boot disk archive - I've had very little luck in downloading disk images and getting them to work but I don't have a computer background.  I've had no luck with teledisk.  If I can help anyone out with these disks let me know - I may not be able to make copies so you would have to try what I have and send them back.    Mike
        Note to Evan:  sorry i havn't been able to help at Infoage - I hope to have some free time in the future

        http://mail.yahoo.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 30, 2006
          >I need the xerox 820, televideo 802, NEC-APC 8" dos and/or cpm86 and
          Victor 9000 cp/m.

          I can make a CP/M boot disk that should work on an 820, but it will be 8"
          I have cp/m 86 disks for the Xerox in 5 /14", but they are untested
          because I have no 5 1/4 drive for the xerox.

          I have a lot of Televideo disks in 5 1/4" that I believe would work for an
          802, but they are untested and not originals. I do not have an 802. I do
          have a Televideo TS 816, which is from this era but does not use a disk
          drive, it's a server with a tape drive for I/O. I have a Telev 801
          terminal that I use to hook up the 816. You could in theory hook an 802
          up to the 816 and format a diskette by using the 816 OS? I also have
          original cp/m disks for newer Televideos (CP/M 2.2), but I am not sure
          that they would work on the 802.

          I have no NEC APC DOS 8".

          I have mostly cpm/86 stuff for the Commodore B700 w. 8088 co-processor,
          but I may have one cp/m 86 for the IBM PC, I have to check/test.

          I do not have anything for the Victor9000, I have never even seen on of
          these in person before.

          MS/IBM DOS's - I have originals with binders of every major MS DOS release
          except for 1.x.

          If anyone sends me a SASE with a diskette and specifies what they need, I
          can try to make a copy and return it to you. The disk must be used for
          "educational/historical purposes" only. Please contact me in advance to
          be sure I have what you're looking for. Although a central archive of
          boot disks is a nice thing to attempt, as long as at least two of us have
          any one kind of working system capable of generating a boot disk and is
          willing to provide the service of making copies/loaners we accomplish the
          same goal. If anyone wants to travel to the DE/MD/PA border, they are
          welcome to bring their hardware projects/use mine for building a boot
          disk/restoration work at my house. I have plenty of space.

          Bill Degnan-
        • Herb Johnson
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 30, 2006
            --- "M. Frank" <mmfrank2001@...> wrote:

            > Someone should be putting together a boot disk archive - I've had
            very little luck in downloading disk images and getting them to work
            but I don't have a computer background. I've had no luck with
            teledisk. If I can help anyone out with these disks let me know - I
            may not be able to make copies so you would have to try what I have
            and send them back. Mike

            Mike lists a number of "boot disks", i.e. system diskettes, that he
            has, and some he'd like to have, by system.

            I've followed the issue of a system disk archive in the CP/M world for
            many years. Some years ago a person named Don Maslin offered to make
            physlcal copies of boot disks, for a small fee. When he died, his
            heirs did not continue the service and apparently could not or did not
            negotiate any sale of those disks. So that's a dead end today.

            A new archive and service was discussed in comp.os.cpm but little
            resulted from that discussion. But in the last few years, my colleague
            Dave Dunfield has emerged with both an archive and a disk imaging
            program. Again, this is primarly in the CP/M world but not completely.
            I describe his work and Web links to it on this page;

            http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/s_drives.html#dunfield

            But he provides MS-DOS disk imaging tools which allow a PC compatible
            to create and write to disk some disk images. Refer any questions and
            requests or offers of images to him, via links on my Web site. Other
            links on that Web page are informative; I've built up a great deal of
            information about diskettes and diskette drives and related resources.

            A Google search can find these pages and others.

            As for a service which would provide actual physical diskettes; the
            problem is that when images are available for free, there is no
            economic incentive to offer them for payment. I actually HAVE such a
            service for early early Macs; I get maybe half a dozen requests a
            year, and that because the early Mac format is so unique.

            That said, if Mike has difficulties with these on-line archives, maybe
            someone familiar with either Teledisk or Dave Dunfield's resources and
            help Mike. (Or someone with a matching running system can help of
            course.) I take no position on the legal issues involved, I am not a
            lawyer and offer no legal advice.

            Herb Johnson

            Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
          • M. Frank
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 31, 2006

              Herb mentions Don Maslin, I have a quick story about the only time I emailed Mr. Maslin:

              About 8 years ago I was looking for a boot disk and I sent an email to Don, he said he had the boot disk but that I should describe the problem in a little more detail, well I did (in very non-technical terms), he replied and said  I didn't need a boot disk but that my eprom on the zpu board was bad;    he then said he would remove the eprom from his zpu board and send it to me as a test.

              I replied that I could never take someones eprom as I'd probably ruin it.  I still can't believe that he offered to do this - he didn't know me and had no reason to trust me

              Happy New Year!

              http://mail.yahoo.com