any vintage computers under the tree/minorrah/etc?

  • billdeg
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 26, 2006
      Not for me, but here is a list of some recent additions to my collection

      1973 Paddleball Arcade machine. This is a Williams PONG clone. Takes
      dimes. Needs a new transformer. Worked up to 2004, I was told. The
      display is OK. Owned by Cassidy of atarionline.com, donated to Mark of
      phillyclassic.com, sold to me.

      Xerox 820 - II. with hard drive/disk drive unit, in original boxes -
      Works! I have been able to make copies of the system disks if anyone
      has an 820-II and needs a boot disk or wants to attempt to format a
      same system's hard drive.

      Tandy Radio Shack pocket computer - works OK, screen is a little burned.

      Also, on 12/16/06
      Bryan POP gave me some disk drives - thanks!
      CBM 8250 dual IEEE drive - needs some TLC
      CBM 2031 single IEEE drive - needs a new DOS ROM (I think...5 beeps is
      the error code) I hope to pull one from a more common and sacrifice-
      able VIC 1541 drive

      Bill D
    • Joe Giliberti
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 26, 2006
        I got:
        Fujifilm Finepix S5200 Digital Camera w/ 1GB XD card
        Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season One on DVD
        Windshield Wipers, Jumper Cables, Flashlight, and Fix-A-Flat for my car (stocking stuffers)
        Star Trek: Legacy for the PC
        Flight Simulator X for the PC
        New Jensen Speakers for my car's front doors
        Boston Legal: Season Two (I don't just like it for Captain Kirk...I mean Shatner)
        Many scratchoff lottery tickets ($7 in wins)

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 29, 2006
            Bill I need the system disks for the xerox 820-II (5 1/4), I have the following boot disks: Dec Rainbow, Eagle II, IBM cp/m 86, kaypro II, I, NCR Decisionmate V, northstar horizon, osborne 1, executive, Sanyo MBC 1250, Televideo 803, various TRS-80, Victor 9000 (dos only) Vector 4 (maybe).  I'm fairly sure that most of these work at least they did at one time but they havn't been tested recently.   I need the xerox 820, televideo 802, NEC-APC 8" dos and/or cpm86 and Victor 9000 cp/m.  Someone should be putting together a boot disk archive - I've had very little luck in downloading disk images and getting them to work but I don't have a computer background.  I've had no luck with teledisk.  If I can help anyone out with these disks let me know - I may not be able to make copies so you would have to try what I have and send them back.    Mike
            Note to Evan:  sorry i havn't been able to help at Infoage - I hope to have some free time in the future

            http://mail.yahoo.com

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 30, 2006
              >I need the xerox 820, televideo 802, NEC-APC 8" dos and/or cpm86 and
              Victor 9000 cp/m.

              I can make a CP/M boot disk that should work on an 820, but it will be 8"
              I have cp/m 86 disks for the Xerox in 5 /14", but they are untested
              because I have no 5 1/4 drive for the xerox.

              I have a lot of Televideo disks in 5 1/4" that I believe would work for an
              802, but they are untested and not originals. I do not have an 802. I do
              have a Televideo TS 816, which is from this era but does not use a disk
              drive, it's a server with a tape drive for I/O. I have a Telev 801
              terminal that I use to hook up the 816. You could in theory hook an 802
              up to the 816 and format a diskette by using the 816 OS? I also have
              original cp/m disks for newer Televideos (CP/M 2.2), but I am not sure
              that they would work on the 802.

              I have no NEC APC DOS 8".

              I have mostly cpm/86 stuff for the Commodore B700 w. 8088 co-processor,
              but I may have one cp/m 86 for the IBM PC, I have to check/test.

              I do not have anything for the Victor9000, I have never even seen on of
              these in person before.

              MS/IBM DOS's - I have originals with binders of every major MS DOS release
              except for 1.x.

              If anyone sends me a SASE with a diskette and specifies what they need, I
              can try to make a copy and return it to you. The disk must be used for
              "educational/historical purposes" only. Please contact me in advance to
              be sure I have what you're looking for. Although a central archive of
              boot disks is a nice thing to attempt, as long as at least two of us have
              any one kind of working system capable of generating a boot disk and is
              willing to provide the service of making copies/loaners we accomplish the
              same goal. If anyone wants to travel to the DE/MD/PA border, they are
              welcome to bring their hardware projects/use mine for building a boot
              disk/restoration work at my house. I have plenty of space.

              Bill Degnan-
            • Herb Johnson
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 30, 2006
                --- "M. Frank" <mmfrank2001@...> wrote:

                > Someone should be putting together a boot disk archive - I've had
                very little luck in downloading disk images and getting them to work
                but I don't have a computer background. I've had no luck with
                teledisk. If I can help anyone out with these disks let me know - I
                may not be able to make copies so you would have to try what I have
                and send them back. Mike

                Mike lists a number of "boot disks", i.e. system diskettes, that he
                has, and some he'd like to have, by system.

                I've followed the issue of a system disk archive in the CP/M world for
                many years. Some years ago a person named Don Maslin offered to make
                physlcal copies of boot disks, for a small fee. When he died, his
                heirs did not continue the service and apparently could not or did not
                negotiate any sale of those disks. So that's a dead end today.

                A new archive and service was discussed in comp.os.cpm but little
                resulted from that discussion. But in the last few years, my colleague
                Dave Dunfield has emerged with both an archive and a disk imaging
                program. Again, this is primarly in the CP/M world but not completely.
                I describe his work and Web links to it on this page;

                http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/s_drives.html#dunfield

                But he provides MS-DOS disk imaging tools which allow a PC compatible
                to create and write to disk some disk images. Refer any questions and
                requests or offers of images to him, via links on my Web site. Other
                links on that Web page are informative; I've built up a great deal of
                information about diskettes and diskette drives and related resources.

                A Google search can find these pages and others.

                As for a service which would provide actual physical diskettes; the
                problem is that when images are available for free, there is no
                economic incentive to offer them for payment. I actually HAVE such a
                service for early early Macs; I get maybe half a dozen requests a
                year, and that because the early Mac format is so unique.

                That said, if Mike has difficulties with these on-line archives, maybe
                someone familiar with either Teledisk or Dave Dunfield's resources and
                help Mike. (Or someone with a matching running system can help of
                course.) I take no position on the legal issues involved, I am not a
                lawyer and offer no legal advice.

                Herb Johnson

                Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
              • M. Frank
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 31, 2006

                  Herb mentions Don Maslin, I have a quick story about the only time I emailed Mr. Maslin:

                  About 8 years ago I was looking for a boot disk and I sent an email to Don, he said he had the boot disk but that I should describe the problem in a little more detail, well I did (in very non-technical terms), he replied and said  I didn't need a boot disk but that my eprom on the zpu board was bad;    he then said he would remove the eprom from his zpu board and send it to me as a test.

                  I replied that I could never take someones eprom as I'd probably ruin it.  I still can't believe that he offered to do this - he didn't know me and had no reason to trust me

                  Happy New Year!

                  http://mail.yahoo.com