Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: What is Santa bringing you this year?

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 9, 2006
      me too!

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 10, 2006
        Bryan and all,

        Once we have the museum up and running, this might be something that would make a good grant request. At wall size, we could probably find a less expensive way to build it if we looked. An 8-foot square could be a real draw that people would travel to see. It would be nice if it could do more than just 'life' - then it would become more of a teaching tool, as well as a way to play vintage computer games in gigundo size. As we plan the museum, we need to keep in mind ways to make the place entertaining and instructive for groups of school-age kids and a wall-size 'vintage graphics display' might be a way to demonstrate vintage games to larger groups of people.

        Jim

        > Me too! How cool would it be to have a 8 foot square of diodes on
        > wall? I can watch 'life' for hours. Let's see... at 9 modules times
        > $20 per square foot, that would be 64 times $180 or only $11,520 for
        > the wall plus the time to build the 576 kits. But it would be really cool.

        The wall would truly be alive! ;)

        Cheers,

        Bryan

        P.S. Maybe just poster sized would be more reasonable.. .

      • Dan
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 10, 2006
          FYI - Led Display Wall

          I had plans to make a Led wall too but something more simple than the
          one on makezine. Instead of a distributed processor architecture they
          are using, I just wanted to build a 'passive' Led Display wall that I
          would connect straight to any computer. This is already done by a few
          companies for concerts and shows, but I wanted to make something the
          had a more pixelated appearance from the low resolution of the vintage
          games. So the resolution was still very low, 320x200 would be the max
          resolution. The first application was going to be playing Pacman on the
          wall. So a digital monitor controller would needed to handle all the
          raster and sync signals--a kind of video digitizer with Leds. Making a
          type of multi-sync controller for any vintage machine was a secondary
          objective. Then I would just plug the original pacman gameboard (out of
          the arcade cabinet) and start playing. This would've been a manageable
          task but quite an arduous task, but there was a visual factor that was
          missing something. Looking the experimental board with plain LEDs wasn't
          as exhilarating as watching the video game on a monitor. The pixels on
          the screen resemble a neat grid of light whereas the Led board was more
          of a polka dots just floating in air. So I put this on the backburner
          until I came across a toy that utilized Leds for flashing and noticed
          something. They used a pseudo fresnel plastic cover to disperse the
          light from the Led to create a swath of color emanating across one side
          of the toy. So I made a little test model with a Led for each 'pixel'
          square covered with this type of pseudo fresnel plastic lens, a 2"
          pixel. So a square foot module would only need 36 Leds--HiBrite Leds--as
          they look way better. Larger pixels would save even more Leds. There's
          several Plastic suppliers where you can get this in larger sheets where
          I could cover each 12" module with one piece. The module was just a
          shallow box of cubicles to prevent any leakage between the pixels and
          the Leds sitting in the center. The Hi-Brite Tri-color Leds to give
          multi color are available already too. Then I could interconnect these
          with oridinary ribbon cable to create larger simpler diode matrix for
          the digital monitor controller. Well. I just thought I start rambling
          out loud in case it might help anyone.

          =Dan

          .==============================================================================.
          [ Pittsburgh Robotics Society http://www.pghrobotics.org/ ]
          [ Pgh Vintage Comp.Society http://tinyurl.com/log8m ]
          [ The only thing Google can't search yet is my mind (just be glad they don't) ]
          .==============================================================================.

          Jim Scheef wrote:
          > Bryan and all,
          >
          > Once we have the museum up and running, this might be something that
          > would make a good grant request. At wall size, we could probably find
          > a less expensive way to build it if we looked. An 8-foot square could
          > be a real draw that people would travel to see. It would be nice if it
          > could do more than just 'life' - then it would become more of a
          > teaching tool, as well as a way to play vintage computer games in
          > gigundo size. As we plan the museum, we need to keep in mind ways to
          > make the place entertaining and instructive for groups of school-age
          > kids and a wall-size 'vintage graphics display' might be a way to
          > demonstrate vintage games to larger groups of people.
          >
          > Jim

        • ysgdhio
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 13, 2006
            On 12/10/06, Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:
            > Once we have the museum up and running, this might be something that would make
            > a good grant request. At wall size, we could probably find a less expensive way
            > to build it if we looked.

            I agree a Life wall would be an excellent display.

            The advantage to using these particular units is that even with a small number
            of modules installed, visitors would still have something to look at
            during construction.
            As for funding such a project, perhaps there is a discount for bulk purchase
            or because we're a 501c3. Also we might consider having a sponsor for
            each module,
            say, for a donation of $50 or more, and affix the name of the donor
            (individual or organization) to the module they purchased.

            A grant might be better suited to the megalithic display, as I imagine
            writing the grant request will take as long as, if not longer than,
            the time it would take to construct such a display.

            Andy
          • Joe Giliberti
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 13, 2006
              If you do decide to do this, I'm great at PCB solder work. I could probably turn out 5 a day :)