MARCH is not retro (I hope)

    Message 1 of 2 , May 12, 2005
      Everyone,

      I know this was discussed briefly a few weeks ago but I just read those
      messages...

      MARCH is vintage, not retro. The New Beetle is retro, the original Beelte is
      vintage. Running an old computer game in an emulator on your P4 is retro; the
      Atari machine the game was designed for is vintage. Retro is something *new*
      that is *pretending* to be old or trying to *look* like something old. The
      original artifact is vintage. Vintage and retro are different - they are not
      at all interchageable. MARCH is vintage and if MAVCH is unpronouncible, then
      the organization needs a new name. Must the name be a procouncable aconym?

      How about:

      ECOC - East Coast Old Computers
      VCC - Vintage Computer Club
      VCE - Vintage Computer Enthusiasts
      NROCC - Nuts Running Old Computers Club

      One word that should not be in the name is microcomputer. Is the PDP-8 a
      micro? I'd also like to see a name that does not imply a limited geography.
      If I set up an IBM 7090 in my basement (ignoring the power implicataions for
      a moment) does that qualify for this orgaization?

      Ok, guys, flame me if you must, I'm ready.

      Jim
    • msimonsmail
      Message 2 of 2 , May 12, 2005
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Jim Scheef <jscheef@y...> wrote:
        > I know this was discussed briefly a few weeks ago but I just read those
        > messages...
        > MARCH is vintage, not retro. The New Beetle is retro, the original
        Beelte is
        > vintage. Running an old computer game in an emulator on your P4 is
        retro; the
        > Atari machine the game was designed for is vintage.

        But wouldn't the software itself be vintage? In the case of an
        emulator, the emulator is just a tool to help preserve and archive any
        given platform. Sometimes running the original software on the
        original platform is just not possible.

        At some point all the old floppies, tapes, etc. will suffer from
        extreme datarot, or those old drives will no longer sync properly. At
        some point that hardware will no longer run and emulators are useful
        tools to preserve history.

        --
        MS