Re: [midatlanticretro] Lanier & IBM Word Processors

    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
      Jim,

      On the Lanier system, it looks like they are looking for the last office on Earth still using such a system for daily work. Without the software, it's just a dim blinking light. The Displaywriter is worthless without the monitor - which was totally unique and fit nothing else. It's not like you could hook up a VGA and make it work!

      It often amazes me that amounts people think things are worth. "But we paid thousands for it."

      IMHO the Lanier is worth the time and effort to haul it away - if it had the software. Dedicated word processing systems are an important and overlooked part of computing history and the companies were often based here on the right coast. For someone who already has a Displaywriter, the system unit would be valuable for parts. By itself, it's scrap metal.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
        Bill and Evan,

        I suspect the hardware is unique and not a clone. Bill, does it boot DOS? I'll bet it's totally proprietary and thus quite rare.

        Jim

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
          She (owner) never tried booting with a DOS disk. I am guessing that
          a person could boot with a dos disk, or a CP/M 86 disk at least.

          At Wednesday, 6 December 2006, you wrote:

          >Bill and Evan,I suspect the hardware is unique and not a clone.
          Bill, does it boot DOS? I'll bet it's totally proprietary and thus
          quite rare.Jim----- Original Message ----From: Evan Koblentz <evan@snarc.
          net>To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSent: Tuesday, December 5,
          2006 9:18:16 PMSubject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Syntrex Aquarius
          II work processor

          > It's interesting to MARCH because of its local angle,
          certainly not because
          >of its technology. I'd rather see us take it than not. Bill, if
          we have to
          >buy it, then cc: me and Jim privately.

          1992 in
          >> a chapter
          >> 11 restructuring. Prior to founding      Syntrex,
          Inc., Mr.
          >> Sinnott founded Interdata Incorporated, a company that
          >>      developed, designed and manufactured the first
          >> 32-bit mini-computer. BillB
          >> > Degnan <billdeg@degnanco. com> wrote:
          >> > Anyone
          >> > interested in a Syntrex Aquarius II word processing system? It's
          >> basically
          >> > a 1983 computer with a boot disk, etc. I am going to take
          a look at
          >one
          >> > later today, if anyone wants it (I don't) let me know. I will
          have
          >more
          >> > details later. Not much on the web about these.
          >> > Collectible/ historical? Bill-- E N D
          >> > --Yahoo! Groups
          >> > Links<*> To visit your group on the web, go
          >> > to:http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/midatlanti cretro/<
          *> Your
          >> > email settings:Individual Email | Traditional& lt;*> To change
          >> > settings online go
          >> > to:http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/midatlanti cretro/join(Yahoo!
          ID
          >> > required)< *> To change settings via
          >> > email:mailto:midatlanticretro- digest@yahoogrou ps.com
          >> > mailto:midatlanticretro- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com<
          >> > unsubscribe from this group, send an email
          >> > to:midatlanticretro- unsubscribe@ yahoogroups. com<*>
          Your use
          >> > of Yahoo! Groups is subject
          >> > to:http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/
          >> >

          >> > Need a quick answer? Get one in minutes from people who know. Ask
          >> > your
          >> question
          >> > on

          >> > Recent Activity