Top 10 List of Mid-Atlantic CompSci Vendors(was) Syntrex Aquarius II

    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006
      Evan,
      OK.

      At 09:18 PM 12/5/2006 -0500, you wrote:
      >It's interesting to MARCH because of its local angle, certainly not because
      >of its technology. I'd rather see us take it than not. Bill, if we have to
      >buy it, then cc: me and Jim privately.

      New Topic:
      Does anyone have a opinion/list of the key 1950's-->1980's vendors of
      computer hardware and/or software who operated their headquarters in the
      mid atlantic region during that time? What are the top 10 or 15 that we
      should be concentrating on? Is there a criteria for defining qualifying
      vendors aside from their operation/manufacturing location? Should our MARCH
      booth at the yearly VCF's focus on one vendor at a time or vote on the
      vendor of the year, etc. ?

      P.S. I just picked up on Ebay a really cool 6502-based computer that has a
      custom(?) Exatron stringy floppy drive peripheral. Merry Christmas to
      me. I'll write more about it when I get it. May the gods of packing
      material bless this package.

      ¿ß¡¶ Dë¢ñ@ñ?
    • Jim Kalin
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006

        I have wanted an IBM Displaywriter for about 3 years now, but I have never found one at a reasonable enough price.  I’ve never used a Displaywriter, but I have a collection of IBM Typewriters, plus a couple of IBM PC’s, and thought a Displaywriter, would make an interesting addition.  When I was in college during the mid 80’s I used a Lanier word process and a CPT word processor, but I have never been able to find one to buy, but I keep searching on eBay.

        If anyone knows where I could find  or has any of the above, let me know.

        Thanks,

        Jim K.

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
          B. Degnan wrote:
          Evan,
          OK.

          At 09:18 PM 12/5/2006 -0500, you wrote:

          It's interesting to MARCH because of its local angle, certainly not because
          of its technology.  I'd rather see us take it than not.  Bill, if we have to
          buy it, then cc: me and Jim privately.

          New Topic:
          Does anyone have a opinion/list of the key 1950's-->1980's vendors of
          computer hardware and/or software who operated their headquarters in the
          mid atlantic region during that time?  What are the top 10 or 15 that we
          should be concentrating on?  Is there a criteria for defining qualifying
          vendors aside from their operation/manufacturing location? Should our MARCH
          booth at the yearly VCF's focus on one vendor at a time or vote on the
          vendor of the year, etc. ?

          I will take a jump at my personal favourites... ;)  Commodore!  MOS Technology! :D
          Also Franklin Computer Corporation, which made Apple II clones..

          P.S. I just picked up on Ebay a really cool 6502-based computer that has a
          custom(?) Exatron stringy floppy drive peripheral.  Merry Christmas to
          me.  I'll write more about it when I get it.  May the gods of packing
          material bless this package.

          Arrrgh!..   I bought an Amiga 4000 quite awhile ago.  The monitor was just dropped in a box with *zero* packaging!  Somehow it made it one piece.  The A4000 didn't have packaging material either, but at least it had other stuff stuck around it (like the keyboard, a ZIP drive, disks...)!

          ¿ß¡¶ Dë¢ñ@ñ?

          Somebody has been playing around with the character map... ;)  I used to love doing that back in the CompuServe days... :)

          Cheers,

          ٭þя¥дŋ٭

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
            No top 10 list needed. We'll just use common sense (i.e., have we heard of
            them, or were they a little outfit?) and exhibit space will be an issue as
            well.

            @ VCF -- low priority right now.

            >It's interesting to MARCH because of its local angle, certainly not
            >because of its technology. I'd rather see us take it than not. Bill,
            >if we have to buy it, then cc: me and Jim privately.

            New Topic:
            Does anyone have a opinion/list of the key 1950's-->1980's vendors of
            computer hardware and/or software who operated their headquarters in the mid
            atlantic region during that time? What are the top 10 or 15 that we should
            be concentrating on? Is there a criteria for defining qualifying vendors
            aside from their operation/manufacturing location? Should our MARCH booth at
            the yearly VCF's focus on one vendor at a time or vote on the vendor of the
            year, etc. ?

            P.S. I just picked up on Ebay a really cool 6502-based computer that has a
            custom(?) Exatron stringy floppy drive peripheral. Merry Christmas to me.
            I'll write more about it when I get it. May the gods of packing material
            bless this package.

            ¿ß¡¶ Dë¢ñ@ñ?

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Bryan Pope
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
              Evan Koblentz wrote:
              > No top 10 list needed. We'll just use common sense (i.e., have we heard of
              > them, or were they a little outfit?) and exhibit space will be an issue as
              > well.
              >
              > @ VCF -- low priority right now.

              Oh, so we should be thinking about the TCF then? ;)

              Cheers,

              Bryan

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                Err no.

                Sorry for the terse answers to the last few emails. I have a nasty cold and
                feel like crap right now.

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                  Jim,

                  On the Lanier system, it looks like they are looking for the last office on Earth still using such a system for daily work. Without the software, it's just a dim blinking light. The Displaywriter is worthless without the monitor - which was totally unique and fit nothing else. It's not like you could hook up a VGA and make it work!

                  It often amazes me that amounts people think things are worth. "But we paid thousands for it."

                  IMHO the Lanier is worth the time and effort to haul it away - if it had the software. Dedicated word processing systems are an important and overlooked part of computing history and the companies were often based here on the right coast. For someone who already has a Displaywriter, the system unit would be valuable for parts. By itself, it's scrap metal.

                  Jim

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                    Bill and Evan,

                    I suspect the hardware is unique and not a clone. Bill, does it boot DOS? I'll bet it's totally proprietary and thus quite rare.

                    Jim

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                      She (owner) never tried booting with a DOS disk. I am guessing that
                      a person could boot with a dos disk, or a CP/M 86 disk at least.

                      At Wednesday, 6 December 2006, you wrote:

                      >Bill and Evan,I suspect the hardware is unique and not a clone.
                      Bill, does it boot DOS? I'll bet it's totally proprietary and thus
                      quite rare.Jim----- Original Message ----From: Evan Koblentz <evan@snarc.
                      net>To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSent: Tuesday, December 5,
                      2006 9:18:16 PMSubject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Syntrex Aquarius
                      II work processor

                      > It's interesting to MARCH because of its local angle,
                      certainly not because
                      >of its technology. I'd rather see us take it than not. Bill, if
                      we have to
                      >buy it, then cc: me and Jim privately.

                      1992 in
                      >> a chapter
                      >> 11 restructuring. Prior to founding      Syntrex,
                      Inc., Mr.
                      >> Sinnott founded Interdata Incorporated, a company that
                      >>      developed, designed and manufactured the first
                      >> 32-bit mini-computer. BillB
                      >> > Degnan <billdeg@degnanco. com> wrote:
                      >> > Anyone
                      >> > interested in a Syntrex Aquarius II word processing system? It's
                      >> basically
                      >> > a 1983 computer with a boot disk, etc. I am going to take
                      a look at
                      >one
                      >> > later today, if anyone wants it (I don't) let me know. I will
                      have
                      >more
                      >> > details later. Not much on the web about these.
                      >> > Collectible/ historical? Bill-- E N D
                      >> > --Yahoo! Groups
                      >> > Links<*> To visit your group on the web, go
                      >> > to:http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/midatlanti cretro/<
                      *> Your
                      >> > email settings:Individual Email | Traditional& lt;*> To change
                      >> > settings online go
                      >> > to:http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/midatlanti cretro/join(Yahoo!
                      ID
                      >> > required)< *> To change settings via
                      >> > email:mailto:midatlanticretro- digest@yahoogrou ps.com
                      >> > mailto:midatlanticretro- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com<
                      >> > unsubscribe from this group, send an email
                      >> > to:midatlanticretro- unsubscribe@ yahoogroups. com<*>
                      Your use
                      >> > of Yahoo! Groups is subject
                      >> > to:http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/
                      >> >

                      >> > Need a quick answer? Get one in minutes from people who know. Ask
                      >> > your
                      >> question
                      >> > on

                      >> > Recent Activity