RE: [midatlanticretro] Syntrex Aquarius II work processor

    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006
      So the consensus is that we definitely want this system for the museum? To
      me it's just a weird 80x86 PC clone with custom hardware :-) I passed
      because am not personally into these kinds of computers, but I told her
      that I was pretty sure someone else would be in our group. I would have
      to offer some $$ to be fair to her.

      Some follow up -I went to her house and inspected the Syntrex Aquarius II
      with terminal printer.

      1) system is complete with manuals and software
      2) system works, she demonstrated it to me. 5 1/4" Dual boot system
      3) system is clean as a whistle, good monitor, etc.
      4) Includes a Syntrex terminal type printer/typewriter that's used as both
      keyboard and printer. It's basically a typewriter rigged to work with the
      computer via a round din jack.
      5) Includes another similar terminal printer, unsure of the operational status.
      6) There were a lot of references to cpm/86 in the manuals, but not a lot
      of technical data.

      I DID take the IBM AT she had, also in pristine condition, for myself.

      Bill

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006
        It's interesting to MARCH because of its local angle, certainly not because
        of its technology. I'd rather see us take it than not. Bill, if we have to
        buy it, then cc: me and Jim privately.

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006
          Evan,
          OK.

          At 09:18 PM 12/5/2006 -0500, you wrote:
          >It's interesting to MARCH because of its local angle, certainly not because
          >of its technology. I'd rather see us take it than not. Bill, if we have to
          >buy it, then cc: me and Jim privately.

          New Topic:
          Does anyone have a opinion/list of the key 1950's-->1980's vendors of
          computer hardware and/or software who operated their headquarters in the
          mid atlantic region during that time? What are the top 10 or 15 that we
          should be concentrating on? Is there a criteria for defining qualifying
          vendors aside from their operation/manufacturing location? Should our MARCH
          booth at the yearly VCF's focus on one vendor at a time or vote on the
          vendor of the year, etc. ?

          P.S. I just picked up on Ebay a really cool 6502-based computer that has a
          custom(?) Exatron stringy floppy drive peripheral. Merry Christmas to
          me. I'll write more about it when I get it. May the gods of packing
          material bless this package.

          ¿ß¡¶ Dë¢ñ@ñ?
        • Jim Kalin
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006

            I have wanted an IBM Displaywriter for about 3 years now, but I have never found one at a reasonable enough price.  I’ve never used a Displaywriter, but I have a collection of IBM Typewriters, plus a couple of IBM PC’s, and thought a Displaywriter, would make an interesting addition.  When I was in college during the mid 80’s I used a Lanier word process and a CPT word processor, but I have never been able to find one to buy, but I keep searching on eBay.

            If anyone knows where I could find  or has any of the above, let me know.

            Thanks,

            Jim K.

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
              B. Degnan wrote:
              Evan,
              OK.

              At 09:18 PM 12/5/2006 -0500, you wrote:

              It's interesting to MARCH because of its local angle, certainly not because
              of its technology.  I'd rather see us take it than not.  Bill, if we have to
              buy it, then cc: me and Jim privately.

              New Topic:
              Does anyone have a opinion/list of the key 1950's-->1980's vendors of
              computer hardware and/or software who operated their headquarters in the
              mid atlantic region during that time?  What are the top 10 or 15 that we
              should be concentrating on?  Is there a criteria for defining qualifying
              vendors aside from their operation/manufacturing location? Should our MARCH
              booth at the yearly VCF's focus on one vendor at a time or vote on the
              vendor of the year, etc. ?

              I will take a jump at my personal favourites... ;)  Commodore!  MOS Technology! :D
              Also Franklin Computer Corporation, which made Apple II clones..

              P.S. I just picked up on Ebay a really cool 6502-based computer that has a
              custom(?) Exatron stringy floppy drive peripheral.  Merry Christmas to
              me.  I'll write more about it when I get it.  May the gods of packing
              material bless this package.

              Arrrgh!..   I bought an Amiga 4000 quite awhile ago.  The monitor was just dropped in a box with *zero* packaging!  Somehow it made it one piece.  The A4000 didn't have packaging material either, but at least it had other stuff stuck around it (like the keyboard, a ZIP drive, disks...)!

              ¿ß¡¶ Dë¢ñ@ñ?

              Somebody has been playing around with the character map... ;)  I used to love doing that back in the CompuServe days... :)

              Cheers,

              ٭þя¥дŋ٭

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                No top 10 list needed. We'll just use common sense (i.e., have we heard of
                them, or were they a little outfit?) and exhibit space will be an issue as
                well.

                @ VCF -- low priority right now.

                >It's interesting to MARCH because of its local angle, certainly not
                >because of its technology. I'd rather see us take it than not. Bill,
                >if we have to buy it, then cc: me and Jim privately.

                New Topic:
                Does anyone have a opinion/list of the key 1950's-->1980's vendors of
                computer hardware and/or software who operated their headquarters in the mid
                atlantic region during that time? What are the top 10 or 15 that we should
                be concentrating on? Is there a criteria for defining qualifying vendors
                aside from their operation/manufacturing location? Should our MARCH booth at
                the yearly VCF's focus on one vendor at a time or vote on the vendor of the
                year, etc. ?

                P.S. I just picked up on Ebay a really cool 6502-based computer that has a
                custom(?) Exatron stringy floppy drive peripheral. Merry Christmas to me.
                I'll write more about it when I get it. May the gods of packing material
                bless this package.

                ¿ß¡¶ Dë¢ñ@ñ?

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Bryan Pope
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                  Evan Koblentz wrote:
                  > No top 10 list needed. We'll just use common sense (i.e., have we heard of
                  > them, or were they a little outfit?) and exhibit space will be an issue as
                  > well.
                  >
                  > @ VCF -- low priority right now.

                  Oh, so we should be thinking about the TCF then? ;)

                  Cheers,

                  Bryan

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                    Err no.

                    Sorry for the terse answers to the last few emails. I have a nasty cold and
                    feel like crap right now.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                      Jim,

                      On the Lanier system, it looks like they are looking for the last office on Earth still using such a system for daily work. Without the software, it's just a dim blinking light. The Displaywriter is worthless without the monitor - which was totally unique and fit nothing else. It's not like you could hook up a VGA and make it work!

                      It often amazes me that amounts people think things are worth. "But we paid thousands for it."

                      IMHO the Lanier is worth the time and effort to haul it away - if it had the software. Dedicated word processing systems are an important and overlooked part of computing history and the companies were often based here on the right coast. For someone who already has a Displaywriter, the system unit would be valuable for parts. By itself, it's scrap metal.

                      Jim

                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                        Bill and Evan,

                        I suspect the hardware is unique and not a clone. Bill, does it boot DOS? I'll bet it's totally proprietary and thus quite rare.

                        Jim

                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                          She (owner) never tried booting with a DOS disk. I am guessing that
                          a person could boot with a dos disk, or a CP/M 86 disk at least.

                          At Wednesday, 6 December 2006, you wrote:

                          >Bill and Evan,I suspect the hardware is unique and not a clone.
                          Bill, does it boot DOS? I'll bet it's totally proprietary and thus
                          quite rare.Jim----- Original Message ----From: Evan Koblentz <evan@snarc.
                          net>To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSent: Tuesday, December 5,
                          2006 9:18:16 PMSubject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Syntrex Aquarius
                          II work processor

                          > It's interesting to MARCH because of its local angle,
                          certainly not because
                          >of its technology. I'd rather see us take it than not. Bill, if
                          we have to
                          >buy it, then cc: me and Jim privately.

                          -- E N D --