Lanier & IBM Word Processors

  • Jim Kalin
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006

      Someone has a Lanier Word Process on eBay, and I have been looking for one for the past couple years, however, they are asking $499.99, and that doesn’t include the software to run it.  Does that price seem a little high?  Also, someone has an IBM Displaywriter, (CPU, Keyboard, and Disk Dives) but no monitor for $299.99, which seems high to me without a monitor.

      Anyone in the group, know what a reasonable price would be for these two machines?

      Thanks,

      Jim K.

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006
          So the consensus is that we definitely want this system for the museum? To
          me it's just a weird 80x86 PC clone with custom hardware :-) I passed
          because am not personally into these kinds of computers, but I told her
          that I was pretty sure someone else would be in our group. I would have
          to offer some $$ to be fair to her.

          Some follow up -I went to her house and inspected the Syntrex Aquarius II
          with terminal printer.

          1) system is complete with manuals and software
          2) system works, she demonstrated it to me. 5 1/4" Dual boot system
          3) system is clean as a whistle, good monitor, etc.
          4) Includes a Syntrex terminal type printer/typewriter that's used as both
          keyboard and printer. It's basically a typewriter rigged to work with the
          computer via a round din jack.
          5) Includes another similar terminal printer, unsure of the operational status.
          6) There were a lot of references to cpm/86 in the manuals, but not a lot
          of technical data.

          I DID take the IBM AT she had, also in pristine condition, for myself.

          Bill

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006
            It's interesting to MARCH because of its local angle, certainly not because
            of its technology. I'd rather see us take it than not. Bill, if we have to
            buy it, then cc: me and Jim privately.

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006
              Evan,
              OK.

              At 09:18 PM 12/5/2006 -0500, you wrote:
              >It's interesting to MARCH because of its local angle, certainly not because
              >of its technology. I'd rather see us take it than not. Bill, if we have to
              >buy it, then cc: me and Jim privately.

              New Topic:
              Does anyone have a opinion/list of the key 1950's-->1980's vendors of
              computer hardware and/or software who operated their headquarters in the
              mid atlantic region during that time? What are the top 10 or 15 that we
              should be concentrating on? Is there a criteria for defining qualifying
              vendors aside from their operation/manufacturing location? Should our MARCH
              booth at the yearly VCF's focus on one vendor at a time or vote on the
              vendor of the year, etc. ?

              P.S. I just picked up on Ebay a really cool 6502-based computer that has a
              custom(?) Exatron stringy floppy drive peripheral. Merry Christmas to
              me. I'll write more about it when I get it. May the gods of packing
              material bless this package.

              ¿ß¡¶ Dë¢ñ@ñ?
            • Jim Kalin
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006

                I have wanted an IBM Displaywriter for about 3 years now, but I have never found one at a reasonable enough price.  I’ve never used a Displaywriter, but I have a collection of IBM Typewriters, plus a couple of IBM PC’s, and thought a Displaywriter, would make an interesting addition.  When I was in college during the mid 80’s I used a Lanier word process and a CPT word processor, but I have never been able to find one to buy, but I keep searching on eBay.

                If anyone knows where I could find  or has any of the above, let me know.

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                  B. Degnan wrote:
                  Evan,
                  OK.

                  At 09:18 PM 12/5/2006 -0500, you wrote:

                  It's interesting to MARCH because of its local angle, certainly not because
                  of its technology.  I'd rather see us take it than not.  Bill, if we have to
                  buy it, then cc: me and Jim privately.

                  New Topic:
                  Does anyone have a opinion/list of the key 1950's-->1980's vendors of
                  computer hardware and/or software who operated their headquarters in the
                  mid atlantic region during that time?  What are the top 10 or 15 that we
                  should be concentrating on?  Is there a criteria for defining qualifying
                  vendors aside from their operation/manufacturing location? Should our MARCH
                  booth at the yearly VCF's focus on one vendor at a time or vote on the
                  vendor of the year, etc. ?

                  I will take a jump at my personal favourites... ;)  Commodore!  MOS Technology! :D
                  Also Franklin Computer Corporation, which made Apple II clones..

                  P.S. I just picked up on Ebay a really cool 6502-based computer that has a
                  custom(?) Exatron stringy floppy drive peripheral.  Merry Christmas to
                  me.  I'll write more about it when I get it.  May the gods of packing
                  material bless this package.

                  Arrrgh!..   I bought an Amiga 4000 quite awhile ago.  The monitor was just dropped in a box with *zero* packaging!  Somehow it made it one piece.  The A4000 didn't have packaging material either, but at least it had other stuff stuck around it (like the keyboard, a ZIP drive, disks...)!

                  ¿ß¡¶ Dë¢ñ@ñ?

                  Somebody has been playing around with the character map... ;)  I used to love doing that back in the CompuServe days... :)

                  Cheers,

                  ٭þя¥дŋ٭

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                    No top 10 list needed. We'll just use common sense (i.e., have we heard of
                    them, or were they a little outfit?) and exhibit space will be an issue as
                    well.

                    @ VCF -- low priority right now.

                    >It's interesting to MARCH because of its local angle, certainly not
                    >because of its technology. I'd rather see us take it than not. Bill,
                    >if we have to buy it, then cc: me and Jim privately.

                    New Topic:
                    Does anyone have a opinion/list of the key 1950's-->1980's vendors of
                    computer hardware and/or software who operated their headquarters in the mid
                    atlantic region during that time? What are the top 10 or 15 that we should
                    be concentrating on? Is there a criteria for defining qualifying vendors
                    aside from their operation/manufacturing location? Should our MARCH booth at
                    the yearly VCF's focus on one vendor at a time or vote on the vendor of the
                    year, etc. ?

                    P.S. I just picked up on Ebay a really cool 6502-based computer that has a
                    custom(?) Exatron stringy floppy drive peripheral. Merry Christmas to me.
                    I'll write more about it when I get it. May the gods of packing material
                    bless this package.

                    ¿ß¡¶ Dë¢ñ@ñ?

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Bryan Pope
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                      Evan Koblentz wrote:
                      > No top 10 list needed. We'll just use common sense (i.e., have we heard of
                      > them, or were they a little outfit?) and exhibit space will be an issue as
                      > well.
                      >
                      > @ VCF -- low priority right now.

                      Oh, so we should be thinking about the TCF then? ;)

                      Cheers,

                      Bryan

                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                        Err no.

                        Sorry for the terse answers to the last few emails. I have a nasty cold and
                        feel like crap right now.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                          Jim,

                          On the Lanier system, it looks like they are looking for the last office on Earth still using such a system for daily work. Without the software, it's just a dim blinking light. The Displaywriter is worthless without the monitor - which was totally unique and fit nothing else. It's not like you could hook up a VGA and make it work!

                          It often amazes me that amounts people think things are worth. "But we paid thousands for it."

                          IMHO the Lanier is worth the time and effort to haul it away - if it had the software. Dedicated word processing systems are an important and overlooked part of computing history and the companies were often based here on the right coast. For someone who already has a Displaywriter, the system unit would be valuable for parts. By itself, it's scrap metal.

                          Jim

                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                            Bill and Evan,

                            I suspect the hardware is unique and not a clone. Bill, does it boot DOS? I'll bet it's totally proprietary and thus quite rare.

                            Jim

                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                              She (owner) never tried booting with a DOS disk. I am guessing that
                              a person could boot with a dos disk, or a CP/M 86 disk at least.

                              At Wednesday, 6 December 2006, you wrote:

                              >Bill and Evan,I suspect the hardware is unique and not a clone.
                              Bill, does it boot DOS? I'll bet it's totally proprietary and thus
                              quite rare.Jim----- Original Message ----From: Evan Koblentz <evan@snarc.
                              net>To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSent: Tuesday, December 5,
                              2006 9:18:16 PMSubject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Syntrex Aquarius
                              II work processor

                              > It's interesting to MARCH because of its local angle,
                              certainly not because
                              >of its technology. I'd rather see us take it than not. Bill, if
                              we have to
                              >buy it, then cc: me and Jim privately.

                              -- E N D --