Lanier & IBM Word Processors

  • Jim Kalin
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006

      Someone has a Lanier Word Process on eBay, and I have been looking for one for the past couple years, however, they are asking $499.99, and that doesn’t include the software to run it.  Does that price seem a little high?  Also, someone has an IBM Displaywriter, (CPU, Keyboard, and Disk Dives) but no monitor for $299.99, which seems high to me without a monitor.

      Anyone in the group, know what a reasonable price would be for these two machines?

      Thanks,

      Jim K.

    • Bob Applegate
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006
        Since MARCH has Interdata/Perkin-Elmer equipment, this is a pretty
        neat addition to the collection. It shows a bit of computer
        history relative to one man's contributions.

        ___________________________________
        NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006
            So the consensus is that we definitely want this system for the museum? To
            me it's just a weird 80x86 PC clone with custom hardware :-) I passed
            because am not personally into these kinds of computers, but I told her
            that I was pretty sure someone else would be in our group. I would have
            to offer some $$ to be fair to her.

            Some follow up -I went to her house and inspected the Syntrex Aquarius II
            with terminal printer.

            1) system is complete with manuals and software
            2) system works, she demonstrated it to me. 5 1/4" Dual boot system
            3) system is clean as a whistle, good monitor, etc.
            4) Includes a Syntrex terminal type printer/typewriter that's used as both
            keyboard and printer. It's basically a typewriter rigged to work with the
            computer via a round din jack.
            5) Includes another similar terminal printer, unsure of the operational status.
            6) There were a lot of references to cpm/86 in the manuals, but not a lot
            of technical data.

            I DID take the IBM AT she had, also in pristine condition, for myself.

            Bill

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006
              It's interesting to MARCH because of its local angle, certainly not because
              of its technology. I'd rather see us take it than not. Bill, if we have to
              buy it, then cc: me and Jim privately.

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006
                Evan,
                OK.

                At 09:18 PM 12/5/2006 -0500, you wrote:
                >It's interesting to MARCH because of its local angle, certainly not because
                >of its technology. I'd rather see us take it than not. Bill, if we have to
                >buy it, then cc: me and Jim privately.

                New Topic:
                Does anyone have a opinion/list of the key 1950's-->1980's vendors of
                computer hardware and/or software who operated their headquarters in the
                mid atlantic region during that time? What are the top 10 or 15 that we
                should be concentrating on? Is there a criteria for defining qualifying
                vendors aside from their operation/manufacturing location? Should our MARCH
                booth at the yearly VCF's focus on one vendor at a time or vote on the
                vendor of the year, etc. ?

                P.S. I just picked up on Ebay a really cool 6502-based computer that has a
                custom(?) Exatron stringy floppy drive peripheral. Merry Christmas to
                me. I'll write more about it when I get it. May the gods of packing
                material bless this package.

                ¿ß¡¶ Dë¢ñ@ñ?
              • Jim Kalin
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006

                  I have wanted an IBM Displaywriter for about 3 years now, but I have never found one at a reasonable enough price.  I’ve never used a Displaywriter, but I have a collection of IBM Typewriters, plus a couple of IBM PC’s, and thought a Displaywriter, would make an interesting addition.  When I was in college during the mid 80’s I used a Lanier word process and a CPT word processor, but I have never been able to find one to buy, but I keep searching on eBay.

                  If anyone knows where I could find  or has any of the above, let me know.

                  Thanks,

                  Jim K.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                    B. Degnan wrote:
                    Evan,
                    OK.

                    At 09:18 PM 12/5/2006 -0500, you wrote:

                    It's interesting to MARCH because of its local angle, certainly not because
                    of its technology.  I'd rather see us take it than not.  Bill, if we have to
                    buy it, then cc: me and Jim privately.

                    New Topic:
                    Does anyone have a opinion/list of the key 1950's-->1980's vendors of
                    computer hardware and/or software who operated their headquarters in the
                    mid atlantic region during that time?  What are the top 10 or 15 that we
                    should be concentrating on?  Is there a criteria for defining qualifying
                    vendors aside from their operation/manufacturing location? Should our MARCH
                    booth at the yearly VCF's focus on one vendor at a time or vote on the
                    vendor of the year, etc. ?

                    I will take a jump at my personal favourites... ;)  Commodore!  MOS Technology! :D
                    Also Franklin Computer Corporation, which made Apple II clones..

                    P.S. I just picked up on Ebay a really cool 6502-based computer that has a
                    custom(?) Exatron stringy floppy drive peripheral.  Merry Christmas to
                    me.  I'll write more about it when I get it.  May the gods of packing
                    material bless this package.

                    Arrrgh!..   I bought an Amiga 4000 quite awhile ago.  The monitor was just dropped in a box with *zero* packaging!  Somehow it made it one piece.  The A4000 didn't have packaging material either, but at least it had other stuff stuck around it (like the keyboard, a ZIP drive, disks...)!

                    ¿ß¡¶ Dë¢ñ@ñ?

                    Somebody has been playing around with the character map... ;)  I used to love doing that back in the CompuServe days... :)

                    Cheers,

                    ٭þя¥дŋ٭

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                      No top 10 list needed. We'll just use common sense (i.e., have we heard of
                      them, or were they a little outfit?) and exhibit space will be an issue as
                      well.

                      @ VCF -- low priority right now.

                      >It's interesting to MARCH because of its local angle, certainly not
                      >because of its technology. I'd rather see us take it than not. Bill,
                      >if we have to buy it, then cc: me and Jim privately.

                      New Topic:
                      Does anyone have a opinion/list of the key 1950's-->1980's vendors of
                      computer hardware and/or software who operated their headquarters in the mid
                      atlantic region during that time? What are the top 10 or 15 that we should
                      be concentrating on? Is there a criteria for defining qualifying vendors
                      aside from their operation/manufacturing location? Should our MARCH booth at
                      the yearly VCF's focus on one vendor at a time or vote on the vendor of the
                      year, etc. ?

                      P.S. I just picked up on Ebay a really cool 6502-based computer that has a
                      custom(?) Exatron stringy floppy drive peripheral. Merry Christmas to me.
                      I'll write more about it when I get it. May the gods of packing material
                      bless this package.

                      ¿ß¡¶ Dë¢ñ@ñ?

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Bryan Pope
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                        Evan Koblentz wrote:
                        > No top 10 list needed. We'll just use common sense (i.e., have we heard of
                        > them, or were they a little outfit?) and exhibit space will be an issue as
                        > well.
                        >
                        > @ VCF -- low priority right now.

                        Oh, so we should be thinking about the TCF then? ;)

                        Cheers,

                        Bryan

                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                          Err no.

                          Sorry for the terse answers to the last few emails. I have a nasty cold and
                          feel like crap right now.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                            Jim,

                            On the Lanier system, it looks like they are looking for the last office on Earth still using such a system for daily work. Without the software, it's just a dim blinking light. The Displaywriter is worthless without the monitor - which was totally unique and fit nothing else. It's not like you could hook up a VGA and make it work!

                            It often amazes me that amounts people think things are worth. "But we paid thousands for it."

                            IMHO the Lanier is worth the time and effort to haul it away - if it had the software. Dedicated word processing systems are an important and overlooked part of computing history and the companies were often based here on the right coast. For someone who already has a Displaywriter, the system unit would be valuable for parts. By itself, it's scrap metal.

                            Jim

                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                              Bill and Evan,

                              I suspect the hardware is unique and not a clone. Bill, does it boot DOS? I'll bet it's totally proprietary and thus quite rare.

                              Jim

                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                                She (owner) never tried booting with a DOS disk. I am guessing that
                                a person could boot with a dos disk, or a CP/M 86 disk at least.

                                At Wednesday, 6 December 2006, you wrote:

                                >Bill and Evan,I suspect the hardware is unique and not a clone.
                                Bill, does it boot DOS? I'll bet it's totally proprietary and thus
                                quite rare.Jim----- Original Message ----From: Evan Koblentz <evan@snarc.
                                net>To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSent: Tuesday, December 5,
                                2006 9:18:16 PMSubject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Syntrex Aquarius
                                II work processor

                                > It's interesting to MARCH because of its local angle,
                                certainly not because
                                >of its technology. I'd rather see us take it than not. Bill, if
                                we have to
                                >buy it, then cc: me and Jim privately.

                                -- E N D --