Syntrex Aquarius II work processor

    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006
      Anyone interested in a Syntrex Aquarius II word processing system?
      It's basically a 1983 computer with a boot disk, etc. I am going
      to take a look at one later today, if anyone wants it (I don't) let
      me know. I will have more details later. Not much on the web about
      these. Collectible/historical?
      Bill

      -- E N D --
    • William Pechter
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006
        Syntrex was in Eatontown, NJ and did high end work processing systems for Legal Offices etc.  They were founded by a number of people connected to Interdata and Bell Labs.

        They did their development on a pair of PDP11/70's on Unix and built their stuff in C with an 80x86 (I think 80186 maybe 80286) as the target platform.  They used 8 and 14 inch winchesters and had mirror disks and stuff very early on in office automation.

        I was the DEC Field Engineer doing maintenance on their RP04's and RP05's that they had on the 11/70's.

        The building's since been used by Manhattan Bagel and a number of other companies.  Last I heard of Syntrex was the late 80's.  PC Lan stuff and Microsoft NT server killed them.  They were high function stuff -- but their price was lower than minicomputers but higher than PC stuff.

        There's a connection to MARCH with these... they were highly redundant and networked word processing workstations.

        Took a half hour and found the following
         From 1979 to 1992, Mr. Sinnott was the founder, President and CEO of Syntrex Inc.
         Due to the rapid development of the computer, Syntrex Inc. was sold to
         Phoenix Technologies in 1992 in a chapter 11 restructuring. Prior to founding
         Syntrex, Inc., Mr. Sinnott founded Interdata Incorporated, a company that
         developed, designed and manufactured the first 32-bit mini-computer.

        Bill

        B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
        Anyone interested in a Syntrex Aquarius II word processing system?
        It's basically a 1983 computer with a boot disk, etc. I am going
        to take a look at one later today, if anyone wants it (I don't) let
        me know. I will have more details later. Not much on the web about
        these. Collectible/historical?
        Bill

        -- E N D --

        <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006
          Bill P., thanks for that helpful data!

          Bill D., let's definitely save this computer for our "Computers of New Jersey" exhibit.  (A friendly reminder: I envision our first two exhibits being "Computers of the Military" to honor our museum benefactors and "Computers of New Jersey" to appeal to the local audience.  After that we can get into exhibits of personal interest to everyone involved.)

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006

            Someone has a Lanier Word Process on eBay, and I have been looking for one for the past couple years, however, they are asking $499.99, and that doesn’t include the software to run it.  Does that price seem a little high?  Also, someone has an IBM Displaywriter, (CPU, Keyboard, and Disk Dives) but no monitor for $299.99, which seems high to me without a monitor.

            Anyone in the group, know what a reasonable price would be for these two machines?

            Thanks,

            Jim K.

          • Bob Applegate
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006
              Since MARCH has Interdata/Perkin-Elmer equipment, this is a pretty
              neat addition to the collection. It shows a bit of computer
              history relative to one man's contributions.

              ___________________________________
              NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006
                  So the consensus is that we definitely want this system for the museum? To
                  me it's just a weird 80x86 PC clone with custom hardware :-) I passed
                  because am not personally into these kinds of computers, but I told her
                  that I was pretty sure someone else would be in our group. I would have
                  to offer some $$ to be fair to her.

                  Some follow up -I went to her house and inspected the Syntrex Aquarius II
                  with terminal printer.

                  1) system is complete with manuals and software
                  2) system works, she demonstrated it to me. 5 1/4" Dual boot system
                  3) system is clean as a whistle, good monitor, etc.
                  4) Includes a Syntrex terminal type printer/typewriter that's used as both
                  keyboard and printer. It's basically a typewriter rigged to work with the
                  computer via a round din jack.
                  5) Includes another similar terminal printer, unsure of the operational status.
                  6) There were a lot of references to cpm/86 in the manuals, but not a lot
                  of technical data.

                  I DID take the IBM AT she had, also in pristine condition, for myself.

                  Bill

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006
                    It's interesting to MARCH because of its local angle, certainly not because
                    of its technology. I'd rather see us take it than not. Bill, if we have to
                    buy it, then cc: me and Jim privately.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006
                      Evan,
                      OK.

                      At 09:18 PM 12/5/2006 -0500, you wrote:
                      >It's interesting to MARCH because of its local angle, certainly not because
                      >of its technology. I'd rather see us take it than not. Bill, if we have to
                      >buy it, then cc: me and Jim privately.

                      New Topic:
                      Does anyone have a opinion/list of the key 1950's-->1980's vendors of
                      computer hardware and/or software who operated their headquarters in the
                      mid atlantic region during that time? What are the top 10 or 15 that we
                      should be concentrating on? Is there a criteria for defining qualifying
                      vendors aside from their operation/manufacturing location? Should our MARCH
                      booth at the yearly VCF's focus on one vendor at a time or vote on the
                      vendor of the year, etc. ?

                      P.S. I just picked up on Ebay a really cool 6502-based computer that has a
                      custom(?) Exatron stringy floppy drive peripheral. Merry Christmas to
                      me. I'll write more about it when I get it. May the gods of packing
                      material bless this package.

                      ¿ß¡¶ Dë¢ñ@ñ?
                    • Jim Kalin
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006

                        I have wanted an IBM Displaywriter for about 3 years now, but I have never found one at a reasonable enough price.  I’ve never used a Displaywriter, but I have a collection of IBM Typewriters, plus a couple of IBM PC’s, and thought a Displaywriter, would make an interesting addition.  When I was in college during the mid 80’s I used a Lanier word process and a CPT word processor, but I have never been able to find one to buy, but I keep searching on eBay.

                        If anyone knows where I could find  or has any of the above, let me know.

                        Thanks,

                        Jim K.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                          B. Degnan wrote:
                          Evan,
                          OK.

                          At 09:18 PM 12/5/2006 -0500, you wrote:

                          It's interesting to MARCH because of its local angle, certainly not because
                          of its technology.  I'd rather see us take it than not.  Bill, if we have to
                          buy it, then cc: me and Jim privately.

                          New Topic:
                          Does anyone have a opinion/list of the key 1950's-->1980's vendors of
                          computer hardware and/or software who operated their headquarters in the
                          mid atlantic region during that time?  What are the top 10 or 15 that we
                          should be concentrating on?  Is there a criteria for defining qualifying
                          vendors aside from their operation/manufacturing location? Should our MARCH
                          booth at the yearly VCF's focus on one vendor at a time or vote on the
                          vendor of the year, etc. ?

                          I will take a jump at my personal favourites... ;)  Commodore!  MOS Technology! :D
                          Also Franklin Computer Corporation, which made Apple II clones..

                          P.S. I just picked up on Ebay a really cool 6502-based computer that has a
                          custom(?) Exatron stringy floppy drive peripheral.  Merry Christmas to
                          me.  I'll write more about it when I get it.  May the gods of packing
                          material bless this package.

                          Arrrgh!..   I bought an Amiga 4000 quite awhile ago.  The monitor was just dropped in a box with *zero* packaging!  Somehow it made it one piece.  The A4000 didn't have packaging material either, but at least it had other stuff stuck around it (like the keyboard, a ZIP drive, disks...)!

                          ¿ß¡¶ Dë¢ñ@ñ?

                          Somebody has been playing around with the character map... ;)  I used to love doing that back in the CompuServe days... :)

                          Cheers,

                          ٭þя¥дŋ٭

                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                            No top 10 list needed. We'll just use common sense (i.e., have we heard of
                            them, or were they a little outfit?) and exhibit space will be an issue as
                            well.

                            @ VCF -- low priority right now.

                            >It's interesting to MARCH because of its local angle, certainly not
                            >because of its technology. I'd rather see us take it than not. Bill,
                            >if we have to buy it, then cc: me and Jim privately.

                            New Topic:
                            Does anyone have a opinion/list of the key 1950's-->1980's vendors of
                            computer hardware and/or software who operated their headquarters in the mid
                            atlantic region during that time? What are the top 10 or 15 that we should
                            be concentrating on? Is there a criteria for defining qualifying vendors
                            aside from their operation/manufacturing location? Should our MARCH booth at
                            the yearly VCF's focus on one vendor at a time or vote on the vendor of the
                            year, etc. ?

                            P.S. I just picked up on Ebay a really cool 6502-based computer that has a
                            custom(?) Exatron stringy floppy drive peripheral. Merry Christmas to me.
                            I'll write more about it when I get it. May the gods of packing material
                            bless this package.

                            ¿ß¡¶ Dë¢ñ@ñ?

                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                          • Bryan Pope
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                              Evan Koblentz wrote:
                              > No top 10 list needed. We'll just use common sense (i.e., have we heard of
                              > them, or were they a little outfit?) and exhibit space will be an issue as
                              > well.
                              >
                              > @ VCF -- low priority right now.

                              Oh, so we should be thinking about the TCF then? ;)

                              Cheers,

                              Bryan

                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                                Err no.

                                Sorry for the terse answers to the last few emails. I have a nasty cold and
                                feel like crap right now.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                                  Jim,

                                  On the Lanier system, it looks like they are looking for the last office on Earth still using such a system for daily work. Without the software, it's just a dim blinking light. The Displaywriter is worthless without the monitor - which was totally unique and fit nothing else. It's not like you could hook up a VGA and make it work!

                                  It often amazes me that amounts people think things are worth. "But we paid thousands for it."

                                  IMHO the Lanier is worth the time and effort to haul it away - if it had the software. Dedicated word processing systems are an important and overlooked part of computing history and the companies were often based here on the right coast. For someone who already has a Displaywriter, the system unit would be valuable for parts. By itself, it's scrap metal.

                                  Jim

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                                    Bill and Evan,

                                    I suspect the hardware is unique and not a clone. Bill, does it boot DOS? I'll bet it's totally proprietary and thus quite rare.

                                    Jim

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 6, 2006
                                      She (owner) never tried booting with a DOS disk. I am guessing that
                                      a person could boot with a dos disk, or a CP/M 86 disk at least.

                                      At Wednesday, 6 December 2006, you wrote:

                                      >Bill and Evan,I suspect the hardware is unique and not a clone.
                                      Bill, does it boot DOS? I'll bet it's totally proprietary and thus
                                      quite rare.Jim----- Original Message ----From: Evan Koblentz <evan@snarc.
                                      net>To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSent: Tuesday, December 5,
                                      2006 9:18:16 PMSubject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Syntrex Aquarius
                                      II work processor

                                      > It's interesting to MARCH because of its local angle,
                                      certainly not because
                                      >of its technology. I'd rather see us take it than not. Bill, if
                                      we have to
                                      >buy it, then cc: me and Jim privately.

                                      -- E N D --