Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: What is Santa bringing you this year?

  • Jeffrey Frady
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 4, 2006
      A Nintendo Wii, Queen on DVD, and iWoz.  For my girlfriend, I got her a ring.  No were not getting married or anything.

      On 04/12/06, Evan Koblentz < evan@...> wrote:

      I don't actually believe in Santa (being Jewish and all), but the Chanukah
      fairy* is rumored to have some special go-fast parts for my roadster. What
      is everyone else hoping for?

      - Evan

      *A distant relative of the tooth fairy

      --
      Moderator at http://www.PalmInfocenter.com/
    • ysgdhio
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 9, 2006
        > What is everyone else hoping for?

        I would be happy to get many of these:
        http://makezine.com/gol/

        Cheers,
        Andy
      • Jim Kalin
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 9, 2006

          I wish he would bring me a complete IBM Displaywriter system (including printer) or either a IBM Mag Card or Mag Tape Selectic, or a IBM Mag Card Composer.

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 9, 2006
            ysgdhio wrote:
            > On 12/4/06, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
            >
            >> What is everyone else hoping for?
            >>

            > I would be happy to get many of these:
            > http://makezine.com/gol/

            That is *very* cool!

            Cheers,

            Bryan
          • Joe Giliberti
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 9, 2006
              I'm looking a new set of speakers and an amp for my car (keeping stock stereo for appearance)

              On 12/9/06, Bryan Pope < bryan.pope@...> wrote:

              ysgdhio wrote:
              > On 12/4/06, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
              >
              >> What is everyone else hoping for?
              >>

              > I would be happy to get many of these:
              > http://makezine.com/gol/

              That is *very* cool!

              Cheers,

              Bryan

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 9, 2006
                Byran,

                Me too! How cool would it be to have a 8 foot square of diodes on wall? I can watch 'life' for hours. Let's see... at 9 modules times $20 per square foot, that would be 64 times $180 or only $11,520 for the wall plus the time to build the 576 kits. But it would be really cool.

                Jim

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 9, 2006
                  Jim Scheef wrote:
                  > Byran,
                  >
                  > Me too! How cool would it be to have a 8 foot square of diodes on
                  > wall? I can watch 'life' for hours. Let's see... at 9 modules times
                  > $20 per square foot, that would be 64 times $180 or only $11,520 for
                  > the wall plus the time to build the 576 kits. But it would be really cool.

                  The wall would truly be alive! ;)

                  Cheers,

                  Bryan

                  P.S. Maybe just poster sized would be more reasonable...

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 9, 2006
                    me too!

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 10, 2006
                      Bryan and all,

                      Once we have the museum up and running, this might be something that would make a good grant request. At wall size, we could probably find a less expensive way to build it if we looked. An 8-foot square could be a real draw that people would travel to see. It would be nice if it could do more than just 'life' - then it would become more of a teaching tool, as well as a way to play vintage computer games in gigundo size. As we plan the museum, we need to keep in mind ways to make the place entertaining and instructive for groups of school-age kids and a wall-size 'vintage graphics display' might be a way to demonstrate vintage games to larger groups of people.

                      Jim

                      > Me too! How cool would it be to have a 8 foot square of diodes on
                      > wall? I can watch 'life' for hours. Let's see... at 9 modules times
                      > $20 per square foot, that would be 64 times $180 or only $11,520 for
                      > the wall plus the time to build the 576 kits. But it would be really cool.

                      The wall would truly be alive! ;)

                      Cheers,

                      Bryan

                      P.S. Maybe just poster sized would be more reasonable.. .

                    • Dan
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 10, 2006
                        FYI - Led Display Wall

                        I had plans to make a Led wall too but something more simple than the
                        one on makezine. Instead of a distributed processor architecture they
                        are using, I just wanted to build a 'passive' Led Display wall that I
                        would connect straight to any computer. This is already done by a few
                        companies for concerts and shows, but I wanted to make something the
                        had a more pixelated appearance from the low resolution of the vintage
                        games. So the resolution was still very low, 320x200 would be the max
                        resolution. The first application was going to be playing Pacman on the
                        wall. So a digital monitor controller would needed to handle all the
                        raster and sync signals--a kind of video digitizer with Leds. Making a
                        type of multi-sync controller for any vintage machine was a secondary
                        objective. Then I would just plug the original pacman gameboard (out of
                        the arcade cabinet) and start playing. This would've been a manageable
                        task but quite an arduous task, but there was a visual factor that was
                        missing something. Looking the experimental board with plain LEDs wasn't
                        as exhilarating as watching the video game on a monitor. The pixels on
                        the screen resemble a neat grid of light whereas the Led board was more
                        of a polka dots just floating in air. So I put this on the backburner
                        until I came across a toy that utilized Leds for flashing and noticed
                        something. They used a pseudo fresnel plastic cover to disperse the
                        light from the Led to create a swath of color emanating across one side
                        of the toy. So I made a little test model with a Led for each 'pixel'
                        square covered with this type of pseudo fresnel plastic lens, a 2"
                        pixel. So a square foot module would only need 36 Leds--HiBrite Leds--as
                        they look way better. Larger pixels would save even more Leds. There's
                        several Plastic suppliers where you can get this in larger sheets where
                        I could cover each 12" module with one piece. The module was just a
                        shallow box of cubicles to prevent any leakage between the pixels and
                        the Leds sitting in the center. The Hi-Brite Tri-color Leds to give
                        multi color are available already too. Then I could interconnect these
                        with oridinary ribbon cable to create larger simpler diode matrix for
                        the digital monitor controller. Well. I just thought I start rambling
                        out loud in case it might help anyone.

                        =Dan

                        .==============================================================================.
                        [ Pittsburgh Robotics Society http://www.pghrobotics.org/ ]
                        [ Pgh Vintage Comp.Society http://tinyurl.com/log8m ]
                        [ The only thing Google can't search yet is my mind (just be glad they don't) ]
                        .==============================================================================.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 13, 2006
                          On 12/10/06, Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:
                          > Once we have the museum up and running, this might be something that would make
                          > a good grant request. At wall size, we could probably find a less expensive way
                          > to build it if we looked.

                          I agree a Life wall would be an excellent display.

                          The advantage to using these particular units is that even with a small number
                          of modules installed, visitors would still have something to look at
                          during construction.
                          As for funding such a project, perhaps there is a discount for bulk purchase
                          or because we're a 501c3. Also we might consider having a sponsor for
                          each module,
                          say, for a donation of $50 or more, and affix the name of the donor
                          (individual or organization) to the module they purchased.

                          A grant might be better suited to the megalithic display, as I imagine
                          writing the grant request will take as long as, if not longer than,
                          the time it would take to construct such a display.

                          Andy
                        • Joe Giliberti
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 13, 2006
                            If you do decide to do this, I'm great at PCB solder work. I could probably turn out 5 a day :)