Re: [midatlanticretro] my favorite IBM

  • madodel
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 25, 2006
      On 11/25/06 Jim Kalin wrote:
      > I have an IBM PS/2 Model 60, with an external 5 ¼ disk drive, and I
      > also have a IBM PCjr. I have WordStar, WordPerfect, and IBM
      > Displywrite 5.0 installed it. It has the original IBM Mouse and
      > Monitor.

      Jim,

      You wouldn't happen to have a copy of Displaywrite for OS/2 would you?
      When I first worked with OS/2 my employer had a bunch of these
      (displayWrite/2) which they threw out when they went to Wordperfect/2. I
      can kick myself for not having saved a copy. Eventually they tossed all
      the OS/2 software including the WordPerfect. That I have a copy of. I've
      never seen DW, OS/2 or DOS used by anyone else since then.

      Mark

      --

      From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

      http://www.warpstock.org

      http://www.os2voice.org

      Investigation, 1938
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 25, 2006
        Jim, welcome to the group.  (Haven't seen you post here before.)

        How did you find us?  Where do you live?  What do you collect?

        - Evan

        I have an IBM PS/2 Model 60, with an external 5 ¼” disk drive, and I also have a IBM PCjr.  I have WordStar, WordPerfect, and IBM Displywrite 5.0 installed it.  It has the original IBM Mouse and Monitor.

        Jim

        (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

      • Jim Kalin
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 25, 2006

          Well, I can’t seem to remember how I found out about the group, but I think it was from another computer that I’m a member of on Yahoo.  I live in Bettendorf , Iowa .  As for what I collect; I like vintage computers, of course, mostly Apple and IBM.  I have two Apple IIe’s and an Apple IIgs.  I also collect typewriters, most IBM.  I graduated high school in 1984, and used Apples and Commodores at that time.  I also like dedicated word processors like the IBM Displaywriter, CPT, and Lanier.  I used CPT and Lanier word processor while I was going to college.  I also like old printers—dot matrix and daisywheel.  I have two Juki daisywheel printers that I use on my Apples.  I also have a Qume Sprint 11 Widetrack daisywheel printer that I got off of eBay that had never been used, still in its original box.  Not sure I will ever get to use it, since I don’t have the interface module that plugs into the back of the printer, to connect it to the computer.

          Jim

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 25, 2006

            Sorry Mark, my copy is for MS-DOS.  I found my copy by doing a Google search, the guy that I got it from had also sorts of old computer software, unfortunately, I can’t remember who he is.

            Jim K.

            > I have an IBM PS/2 Model 60, with an external 5 ¼ disk drive, and I
            > also have a IBM PCjr. I have WordStar, WordPerfect, and IBM
            > Displywrite 5.0 installed it. It has the original IBM Mouse and
            > Monitor.

            Jim,

            You wouldn't happen to have a copy of Displaywrite for OS/2 would you?
            When I first worked with OS/2 my employer had a bunch of these
            (displayWrite/ 2) which they threw out when they went to Wordperfect/ 2. I
            can kick myself for not having saved a copy. Eventually they tossed all
            the OS/2 software including the WordPerfect. That I have a copy of. I've
            never seen DW, OS/2 or DOS used by anyone else since then.

            Mark

            --

            From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

            Warpstock 2006 - Windsor , Ontario , Canada , October 12-15th,
            http://www.warpstoc k.org
            Warpstock Europe - http://www.warpstoc k.net

            http://www.os2voice .org

            Investigation, 1938

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 25, 2006
              Thanks sharing your story.  Always nice to know who's on the other end of the keyboard.

              Our group's activity is focused on the mid-atlantic region but all are welcome.   :)