my favorite IBM

  • billdeg
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 25, 2006
      A conversation starter...What is a personal favorite vintage computer
      manuf. by IBM in your collection?

      Mine is my IBM PS/2 Model 25 Computer with Collegiate Kit. This is
      the computer I used in college to write papers and connect to BBS's.
      The Collegiate Kit includes Windows 1.04.

      It's a 1987, on the cusp of vintage, I know, but it's a 8086.

      Bill
    • Jim Kalin
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 25, 2006

        I have an IBM PS/2 Model 60, with an external 5 ¼” disk drive, and I also have a IBM PCjr.  I have WordStar, WordPerfect, and IBM Displywrite 5.0 installed it.  It has the original IBM Mouse and Monitor.

        Jim

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 25, 2006

          Hmmm, this is an interesting question. I had three machines in college – a Mac 512k (which I used for most everything), an IBM PS/2 Model 80 (a loaner), which was replaced not long after with a Compaq Deskpro 386 (which I still have). I remember that I had to get a PC because I was taking a finance class that required the use of Lotus 1-2-3, which wasn’t available on the Mac (although I had Excel 1.0). The computer lab at school had 1-2-3 installed on PS/2’s but who wanted to wait on line forever for the 30 PCs. My father was able to borrow the PS/2 from work until we could order the Compaq (with a 40mb hard drive and 6mb of memory). I remember using the MultiMate word processor and 1-2-3 on the PS/2.

          If I go back to IBM machines in my collection that I didn’t originally use, I have an original 5150 with the expansion unit and 20mb hard drive.

          Rich

          Rich Cini

          Collector of classic computers

          Lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator

          Web site: http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/

          Web site: http://www.altair32.com/

          /***************************************************/

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 25, 2006
            On 11/25/06 Jim Kalin wrote:
            > I have an IBM PS/2 Model 60, with an external 5 ¼ disk drive, and I
            > also have a IBM PCjr. I have WordStar, WordPerfect, and IBM
            > Displywrite 5.0 installed it. It has the original IBM Mouse and
            > Monitor.

            Jim,

            You wouldn't happen to have a copy of Displaywrite for OS/2 would you?
            When I first worked with OS/2 my employer had a bunch of these
            (displayWrite/2) which they threw out when they went to Wordperfect/2. I
            can kick myself for not having saved a copy. Eventually they tossed all
            the OS/2 software including the WordPerfect. That I have a copy of. I've
            never seen DW, OS/2 or DOS used by anyone else since then.

            Mark

            --

            From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

            http://www.warpstock.org

            http://www.os2voice.org

            Investigation, 1938
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 25, 2006
              Jim, welcome to the group.  (Haven't seen you post here before.)

              How did you find us?  Where do you live?  What do you collect?

              - Evan

              I have an IBM PS/2 Model 60, with an external 5 ¼” disk drive, and I also have a IBM PCjr.  I have WordStar, WordPerfect, and IBM Displywrite 5.0 installed it.  It has the original IBM Mouse and Monitor.

              Jim

              (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

            • Jim Kalin
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 25, 2006

                Well, I can’t seem to remember how I found out about the group, but I think it was from another computer that I’m a member of on Yahoo.  I live in Bettendorf , Iowa .  As for what I collect; I like vintage computers, of course, mostly Apple and IBM.  I have two Apple IIe’s and an Apple IIgs.  I also collect typewriters, most IBM.  I graduated high school in 1984, and used Apples and Commodores at that time.  I also like dedicated word processors like the IBM Displaywriter, CPT, and Lanier.  I used CPT and Lanier word processor while I was going to college.  I also like old printers—dot matrix and daisywheel.  I have two Juki daisywheel printers that I use on my Apples.  I also have a Qume Sprint 11 Widetrack daisywheel printer that I got off of eBay that had never been used, still in its original box.  Not sure I will ever get to use it, since I don’t have the interface module that plugs into the back of the printer, to connect it to the computer.

                Jim

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 25, 2006

                  Sorry Mark, my copy is for MS-DOS.  I found my copy by doing a Google search, the guy that I got it from had also sorts of old computer software, unfortunately, I can’t remember who he is.

                  Jim K.

                  > I have an IBM PS/2 Model 60, with an external 5 ¼ disk drive, and I
                  > also have a IBM PCjr. I have WordStar, WordPerfect, and IBM
                  > Displywrite 5.0 installed it. It has the original IBM Mouse and
                  > Monitor.

                  Jim,

                  You wouldn't happen to have a copy of Displaywrite for OS/2 would you?
                  When I first worked with OS/2 my employer had a bunch of these
                  (displayWrite/ 2) which they threw out when they went to Wordperfect/ 2. I
                  can kick myself for not having saved a copy. Eventually they tossed all
                  the OS/2 software including the WordPerfect. That I have a copy of. I've
                  never seen DW, OS/2 or DOS used by anyone else since then.

                  Mark

                  --

                  From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

                  Warpstock 2006 - Windsor , Ontario , Canada , October 12-15th,
                  http://www.warpstoc k.org
                  Warpstock Europe - http://www.warpstoc k.net

                  http://www.os2voice .org

                  Investigation, 1938

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 25, 2006
                    Thanks sharing your story.  Always nice to know who's on the other end of the keyboard.

                    Our group's activity is focused on the mid-atlantic region but all are welcome.   :)