northstar horizon OK

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 22, 2006
      Tonight a Northstar Horizon lives - boots from disk, and loads Monitor 5.0,
      and there was no smoke.
      http://vintagecomputer.net/northstar/horizon/
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 23, 2006
        --- "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

        > Tonight a Northstar Horizon lives - boots from disk, and loads
        Monitor 5.0,
        > and there was no smoke.
        > http://vintagecomputer.net/northstar/horizon/

        Congratulations, Bill! It's a fun system and was very popular in its
        time. I still see them and hear about them in the S-100 world.

        The Northstar Horizon, for those who don't know, is an early S-100
        system produced after the MITS Altair and IMSAI. NorthStar's first
        product was a hard-sectored single-card floppy disk controller with
        NorthStar DOS, to be used on the earliest S-100 systems without floppy
        drives. Later they made the S-100 based Horizon, noted for its
        wood-grain plywood cover, and continuing with hard sectored
        controller. CP/M became available for it. They used hard-sectored
        disks in their later "all in one" product, the Advantage with a
        terminal like case with CRT and keyboard.

        If anyone has additional history about NorthStar - dates and company
        info by product - I need to update my Web page on that company and I'd
        be glad to use and attribute that info accordingly.

        http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/d_nstar.html

        Herb Johnson

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
      • ysgdhio
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 24, 2006
          On 11/22/06, B. Degnan wrote:
          > http://vintagecomputer.net/northstar/horizon/

          Wow Bill, nice example. Unlike others I've seen, yours is very clean inside!
          I didn't see a cover. Is it a "woodie"?
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 24, 2006
            Yes it's a woodie. Among the disks I found a few game disks including Star
            Trek, Wompus, and Moon Lander...plus a lot of the boring stuff :assembler,
            work processing, etc.

            I will make a more complete report once I am done.

            Bill