Trivia - Re: [midatlanticretro] Other ideas for VCF East?

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 21, 2006
      Evan and all,

      A computer history trivia contest would be really cool - particularly if we could do it on vintage terminals and/or vintage machines running terminal emulation. This should be all text-based, of course. I'll have to give this some thought...

      Anyone with VAX experience and ideas on how to do this easily is most welcome to contact me off list. OTOH it might be easier to do using Linux as the host - again, ideas are most welcome. We need to start now to do this right. As a last resort we could do this on a web site accessible from the VCFE "show floor".

      Jim

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 21, 2006
        Cool, yes, but still lots of work.  Just coming up with the questions and verifying the answers is lots of work, and then you have to deal with all the details of administering it.  If someone can make the whole contest into a simple terminal-based program that manages itself, with a time limit and such, then it could work.  But I wouldn't want any of our members to invest so much time into this that they're unable to prepare an exhibit.

        It's wonderful to have "alien" exhibitors, but I think that VCF East should mostly be a showcase for our own members.

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 21, 2006
          Even,

          I have questions with verified answers - no problem. The programming is the issue - presenting the questions, recording responses and scoring.

          Jim

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 21, 2006
            This probably should go off-list...

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 22, 2006
              Jim Scheef wrote:
              > Even,
              >
              > I have questions with verified answers - no problem. The programming
              > is the issue - presenting the questions, recording responses and scoring.
              >
              > Jim

              Jim and even Evan.. ;) ,

              I may have a solution for the programming bit.. Has anybody heard of
              Suncom's "The Party Quiz Game"? What is cool about this is it has an
              adapter that hooks up to *wait for it* a Commodore 64.. To this adapter
              you hook up these four devices, each which has four buttons.. The four
              buttons corresponds to the four possible answer presented on screen to
              the question asked.

              Of course they did not give you the tools to make your own questions
              - they expected you to buy their question disks. But I have taken a D64
              disk editor to one of these disks and the format looks pretty
              straightforward.. So far what I have is the first sector contains a
              little bit of info about the disk, the next four sectors contain lines
              output to the screen depending on how you are doing followed by the
              questions and then true/false ones at the end of the disk. They allow
              you 64 bytes for each question and four possible answers, with 0x9B
              delineating the end of a question or answer and then another 0x9B to end
              that question/answer section.

              Cheers,

              Bryan