Other ideas for VCF East?

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 21, 2006
      The thread about kits got me thinking -- what other creative things can we
      do at East 4.0 which would attract more people?

      In the past Sellam has had a vintage game programming contest, a Nerd Trivia
      Contest, a book sale, excursions to other local technology attractions, and
      the 30th anniversary events.

      I think we can definitely pull off the programming contest, a book sale, and
      hopefully the Commodore 30th anniversary event. The trivia contest is too
      much work, but as for excursions, well, InfoAge is its own excursion!
      Seriously -- last year we didn't give tours because the place wasn't
      "finished" enough but that has definitely changed, and it'll be even nicer
      by next spring.

      I'm also wondering if we should extend VCF East into a two-day event. My
      biggest concern would be the exhibitors who have to travel to get here. If
      we require them to stay until Sunday afternoon, would some of them not
      bother, or pack up and leave mid-way through? That would stink.

      Anyway, the final decision doesn't have to be made for a long time, so
      please just think of this email as a straw poll: if we fill the weekend with
      enough events, would you come to VCF for both days (Sat./Sun.)...? The
      second day was like a graveyard at East 2.0 (Boston, 2004), but that's
      because there was barely any marketing for it.
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 21, 2006
        Evan,
        Note that it'd be a 30th anniversary of the PET 2001, Commodore was around
        long before 1977. The KIM was 1976, mechanical and electronic calculators
        (which I happen to have here in front of me) years before 1977.
        Bill

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 21, 2006
          Right.

          Note that it'd be a 30th anniversary of the PET 2001, Commodore was around
          long before 1977. The KIM was 1976, mechanical and electronic calculators
          (which I happen to have here in front of me) years before 1977.
          Bill

          >I think we can definitely pull off the programming contest, a book
          >sale, and hopefully the Commodore 30th anniversary event.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 25, 2006
            I have an IBM 8235-022 Dialin Access to LANS Server, available for the
            cost of shipping. It is NIB, with all manuals, software, power cable and
            rack mount hardware. It has 10Base-T, Thin ethernet and AUI
            connections, and 8 DB25 modem ports. Let me know off-list if anyone is
            interested. Here's a link to an IBM document about the unit:

            http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg244816.pdf

            Boxed, it weighs 13 pounds.

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 26, 2006
              Mike,

              This is a very interesting item - basically a terminal server for a LAN (as opposed to a large host computer). It would make a nice addition to a LAN-oriented collection. Anyone with a lot of phone lines to connect to a LAN needs this. It supports SNA, TCP/IP, Netware, NetBIOS, even AppleTalk so from the LAN to a mainframe... It even supports OS/2!

              Jim

              I have an IBM 8235-022 Dialin Access to LANS Server, available for the
              cost of shipping. It is NIB, with all manuals, software, power cable and
              rack mount hardware. It has 10Base-T, Thin ethernet and AUI
              connections, and 8 DB25 modem ports. Let me know off-list if anyone is
              interested. Here's a link to an IBM document about the unit:

              http://www.redbooks .ibm.com/ redbooks/ pdfs/sg244816. pdf

              Boxed, it weighs 13 pounds.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@cpumagic. scol.pa.us
              Old Technology http://ripsaw. cac.psu.edu/ ~mloewen/ Oldtech/

            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 27, 2006
                On Sun, 26 Nov 2006, Jim Scheef wrote:

                > This is a very interesting item - basically a terminal server for a LAN
                > (as opposed to a large host computer). It would make a nice addition to
                > a LAN-oriented collection. Anyone with a lot of phone lines to connect
                > to a LAN needs this. It supports SNA, TCP/IP, Netware, NetBIOS, even
                > AppleTalk so from the LAN to a mainframe... It even supports OS/2!

                I bought this thing YEARS ago for $10 at a university computer store
                fire sale (someone had ordered it by mistake), and never found a use for
                it. I have a couple of Xyplex terminal servers which I use to connect
                terminals and other serial devices to a server.

                Someone has expressed interest in the 8235, so it may have a new home.

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              • madodel
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 27, 2006
                  On 11/26/06 Jim Scheef wrote:
                  > This is a very interesting item - basically a terminal server for a
                  > LAN (as opposed to a large host computer). It would make a nice
                  > addition to a LAN-oriented collection. Anyone with a lot of phone
                  > lines to connect to a LAN needs this. It supports SNA, TCP/IP,
                  > Netware, NetBIOS, even AppleTalk so from the LAN to a mainframe... It
                  > even supports OS/2!

                  Somewhere around here I have the DIALS software for DOS and OS/2 that
                  allows you to phone into one of these things. I used both for several
                  years to do offsite contract work for one of my clients with a mainframe.
                  I think it was also supported by Crosstalk for Windows as well.

                  Mark

                  --

                  From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

                  http://www.warpstock.org

                  http://www.os2voice.org

                  Investigation, 1938
                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 27, 2006
                    On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, madodel wrote:

                    > Somewhere around here I have the DIALS software for DOS and OS/2 that
                    > allows you to phone into one of these things. I used both for several
                    > years to do offsite contract work for one of my clients with a mainframe.
                    > I think it was also supported by Crosstalk for Windows as well.

                    This unit (8235) has all the software with it, too.

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...