"Build It Yourself" at VCF east 4.0?

  • Bryan Pope
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 20 5:50 PM
      I was just reading the write up and viewing the pics of VCF 9.0 over at
      Larry Anderson's site ( http://www.portcommodore.com/vcf9.php ) and was
      reminded about the "Build It Yourself" workshops they had there. Has
      any thought been given to doing a couple of workshops similar to that?
      The XGameStation and Apple 1 project would be cool... Maybe even a
      hack-a-C64 DTV seminar! ;)

      Cheers,

      Bryan
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 20 6:54 PM
        I attended the XGame Pico workshop. It was very well run. If you're
        interested in a little "soldering 101" (or maybe 201) this is worth
        it. The workshop was full and we also got free books at the end.
        Basically you get to build one of the things you see on the posters,
        displayed from this link...
        http://www.portcommodore.com/vcf9pics/xgamestation-02.jpg
        ...from a bag of parts and a empty board. Everyone brought their own
        soldering iron, etc.
        Bill D

        At 08:50 PM 11/20/2006 -0500, you wrote:
        >I was just reading the write up and viewing the pics of VCF 9.0 over at
        >Larry Anderson's site ( http://www.portcommodore.com/vcf9.php ) and was
        >reminded about the "Build It Yourself" workshops they had there. Has
        >any thought been given to doing a couple of workshops similar to that?
        >The XGameStation and Apple 1 project would be cool... Maybe even a
        >hack-a-C64 DTV seminar! ;)
        >
        >Cheers,
        >
        >Bryan
      • Alexey Toptygin
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 21 7:40 AM
          On Mon, 20 Nov 2006, B. Degnan wrote:

          > I attended the XGame Pico workshop. It was very well run. If you're
          > interested in a little "soldering 101" (or maybe 201) this is worth
          > it. The workshop was full and we also got free books at the end.
          > Basically you get to build one of the things you see on the posters,
          > displayed from this link...
          > http://www.portcommodore.com/vcf9pics/xgamestation-02.jpg
          > ...from a bag of parts and a empty board. Everyone brought their own
          > soldering iron, etc.

          That does sound pretty good, and I would like an excuse to practice my
          soldering. How hard of a soldering job is the XGame Station? Any SMT
          parts?

          Alexey
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 21 8:16 AM
            I have limited experiences soldering "stuff" from PC board repairs to
            guitar amps, and building a theremin from a kit. I would say that the
            XGame is about the same level of difficulty as the theremin (etherwave by
            Moog). I would say that a person should have soldered at least a few times
            before attending this workshop because the pace was pretty fast. What are
            SMT parts?
            Bill

            At 03:40 PM 11/21/2006 +0000, you wrote:
            >On Mon, 20 Nov 2006, B. Degnan wrote:
            >
            > > I attended the XGame Pico workshop. It was very well run. If you're
            > > interested in a little "soldering 101" (or maybe 201) this is worth
            > > it. The workshop was full and we also got free books at the end.
            > > Basically you get to build one of the things you see on the posters,
            > > displayed from this link...
            > > http://www.portcommodore.com/vcf9pics/xgamestation-02.jpg
            > > ...from a bag of parts and a empty board. Everyone brought their own
            > > soldering iron, etc.
            >
            >That does sound pretty good, and I would like an excuse to practice my
            >soldering. How hard of a soldering job is the XGame Station? Any SMT
            >parts?
          • Bryan Pope
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 21 8:50 AM
              B. Degnan wrote:
              > I have limited experiences soldering "stuff" from PC board repairs to
              > guitar amps, and building a theremin from a kit. I would say that the
              > XGame is about the same level of difficulty as the theremin (etherwave by
              > Moog). I would say that a person should have soldered at least a few times
              > before attending this workshop because the pace was pretty fast. What are
              > SMT parts?
              > Bill

              Surface Mount Technology -
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-mount_technology for a good
              description with pictures.. Pretty much all of the resistors,
              capacitors and other bits engineered to have no leads so they are really
              small..

              Cheers,

              Bryan
            • ysgdhio
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 21 9:13 AM
                > What are SMT parts?

                Surface mount technology.
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 21 9:58 AM
                  the resistors were such that you'd insert them, then snip off the
                  ends/solder into place.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 21 10:45 AM
                    Most of the kit designers are on the west coast. Vince (Apple 1 guy) is the
                    exception, but he told me at VCF 9 that he might not make it to East 4.0 for
                    personal reasons (his family is growing!)... I'm hoping to talk him into it
                    though. :) (Hey Vince, if you're reading this message, then yes we hope
                    to get some peer pressure...)

                    If I'm forgetting about any kit designers who are local(-er), then please
                    let me know.

                    Of course Tim Walker (Digi-Comp 1) lives here in NJ but you don't need a
                    whole workshop to build his kit. It is very simple.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 21 11:16 AM
                        We could just have a general workshop perhaps with "experts" from our group
                        to assist with projects with no promises for success, but "do what we can"
                        kind of attitude only. The attendees would have to submit their requests
                        in advance, etc. May be too complicated.
                        Bill

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 21 11:48 AM
                          Bill, see my off-list reply.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 21 1:02 PM
                            Evan,
                            A new category of exhibit "workshop" ? I like it.
                            Bill