InfoAge is now open ..... Sort of .....

    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 16, 2006
      Hi all,

      Starting this weekend, InfoAge is officially open Sundays from 1-4.

      But we decided at a recent board meeting to ditch the plan of having each
      group send one person to staff the front desk each week. Too many of the
      groups (with the exception of MARCH and NJHDA -- NJ historic divers assoc.)
      said they prefer to take care of their own rooms only.

      So that's now the policy. InfoAge is open Sundays from 1-4, and each group
      is encouraged to have someone there as much as possible during those hours.
      I'll take many of the slots this winter, except when there is a daytime
      Giants game. We don't have to have someone there * every * Sunday but it'd
      be nice to have someone there * most * Sundays.

      I'll go through the original list of people who volunteered and then we can
      make a schedule.

      If someone from MARCH is there and nobody's around from the public, then the
      club member can use the time for doing other work at the museum (there is a
      LOT to do), or just play with a vintage computer, etc. .... ef course you
      can also come earlier and/or stay later. However since our preview room is
      in a different hallway than our storage and museum rooms, maybe we can hack
      together some kind of pager system, whereby someone can just press a button
      next to our preview room door and it would page the club member on duty.
      Anyone have a cheap, easy solution for that? (I'm serious!)

      Also: does anyone have access to some shelving units? We need some more for
      our storage rooms.

      - Evan
    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 16, 2006
        Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > If someone from MARCH is there and nobody's around from the public, then the
        > club member can use the time for doing other work at the museum (there is a
        > LOT to do), or just play with a vintage computer, etc. .... ef course you
        > can also come earlier and/or stay later. However since our preview room is
        > in a different hallway than our storage and museum rooms, maybe we can hack
        > together some kind of pager system, whereby someone can just press a button
        > next to our preview room door and it would page the club member on duty.
        > Anyone have a cheap, easy solution for that? (I'm serious!)

        Yeah. A wireless doorbell. Some of them are pretty cheap. Especially
        used.

        Peace... Sridhar
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 16, 2006
          Cool, I didn't think of that. But I just searched and they all list a range
          of a 100 ft. or less. We need a long-range version, and what if you're in
          the basement storage room? Would it still work?

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 16, 2006
            How about we just wire a doorbell with copper wire to the basement? there
            has to be a hole someplace in the floor to feed the wire through...
            Bill

            At 01:43 PM 11/16/2006 -0500, you wrote:
            >Cool, I didn't think of that. But I just searched and they all list a range
            >of a 100 ft. or less. We need a long-range version, and what if you're in
            >the basement storage room? Would it still work?

          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 16, 2006
              Evan Koblentz wrote:
              > Cool, I didn't think of that. But I just searched and they all list a range
              > of a 100 ft. or less. We need a long-range version, and what if you're in
              > the basement storage room? Would it still work?

              What kind of range are we talking about?

              There are a couple of options. If InfoAge will let us, we can run a
              thin two-wire cable to hook up a wired doorbell, or I can hack something
              together that will use a longer range RF.

              Peace... Sridhar

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 16, 2006
                Good ideas. I'll run it by Fred for approval next week (he's away this
                week.)

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 16, 2006
                  A low tech option would be to have a chalk board that allows a person who
                  is going to the basement for a few minutes to leave their cell phone number
                  (assuming they have a signal in the basement), or at least a "come back in
                  10 minutes" message so that the visitor can gauge their expectations
                  bd

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 16, 2006
                    No signal in the basement. Remember, this place was built with concrete
                    floors to withstand enemy attack. :)

                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 16, 2006
                      Just talked to Sridhar offline. He accepted my challenge to hack something
                      together, for a lot less than it'd cost us to buy something custom. I'm
                      announcing this in public as further incentive for him to accomplish it
                      quickly, effectively, and cheaply. :)

                      If he succeeds, then the buzzer button shall be known as "The Vibrating
                      Ayengar" in his honor.

                      No signal in the basement. Remember, this place was built with concrete
                      floors to withstand enemy attack. :)

                      A low tech option would be to have a chalk board that allows a person who is
                      going to the basement for a few minutes to leave their cell phone number
                      (assuming they have a signal in the basement), or at least a "come back in
                      10 minutes" message so that the visitor can gauge their expectations bd

                      At 03:30 PM 11/16/2006 -0500, you wrote:
                      >Evan Koblentz wrote:
                      > > Cool, I didn't think of that. But I just searched and they all list
                      > range
                      > > of a 100 ft. or less. We need a long-range version, and what if
                      > > you're in the basement storage room? Would it still work?
                      >
                      >What kind of range are we talking about?
                      >
                      >There are a couple of options. If InfoAge will let us, we can run a
                      >thin two-wire cable to hook up a wired doorbell, or I can hack
                      >something together that will use a longer range RF.
                      >
                      >Peace... Sridhar
                      >
                      > > Yeah. A wireless doorbell. Some of them are pretty cheap.
                      > > Especially used.
                      >

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Joe Giliberti
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 16, 2006
                        does the place have a phone system we could take advantage of?

                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 16, 2006
                          Nope, not yet.  The official story is that Fred is working on it, but it's not at the top of the list.

                          I forgot to look for your Commodore box at last night's board meeting.  Will try to remember this Sunday.

                          does the place have a phone system we could take advantage of?

                          No signal in the basement. Remember, this place was built with concrete
                          floors to withstand enemy attack. :)

                          A low tech option would be to have a chalk board that allows a person who is
                          going to the basement for a few minutes to leave their cell phone number
                          (assuming they have a signal in the basement), or at least a "come back in
                          10 minutes" message so that the visitor can gauge their expectations bd

                          At 03:30 PM 11/16/2006 -0500, you wrote:
                          >Evan Koblentz wrote:
                          > > Cool, I didn't think of that. But I just searched and they all list
                          > range
                          > > of a 100 ft. or less. We need a long-range version, and what if
                          > > you're in the basement storage room? Would it still work?
                          >
                          >What kind of range are we talking about?
                          >
                          >There are a couple of options. If InfoAge will let us, we can run a
                          >thin two-wire cable to hook up a wired doorbell, or I can hack
                          >something together that will use a longer range RF.
                          >
                          >Peace... Sridhar
                          >
                          > > Yeah. A wireless doorbell. Some of them are pretty cheap.
                          > > Especially used.
                          >

                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Sridhar Ayengar
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 16, 2006
                            Evan Koblentz wrote:
                            > If he succeeds, then the buzzer button shall be known as "The Vibrating
                            > Ayengar" in his honor.

                            LOL

                            Cute.

                            Peace... Sridhar
                          • William Pechter
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 16, 2006
                              You should have seen the SCIF containment facilities and the Faraday Cages for Tempest specs in spots.

                              There's a lot of that stuff in Fort Monmouth and we weren't allowed to bring pagers and other radio devices into the buildings.

                              Should've seen the security guy when the HP tech in 94 pulled out a cell phone to call his office to order parts in front of a security officer.

                              Bill

                              Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                              No signal in the basement. Remember, this place was built with concrete
                              floors to withstand enemy attack. :)

                              A low tech option would be to have a chalk board that allows a person who is
                              going to the basement for a few minutes to leave their cell phone number
                              (assuming they have a signal in the basement), or at least a "come back in
                              10 minutes" message so that the visitor can gauge their expectations bd

                              At 03:30 PM 11/16/2006 -0500, you wrote:
                              >Evan Koblentz wrote:
                              > > Cool, I didn't think of that. But I just searched and they all list
                              > range
                              > > of a 100 ft. or less. We need a long-range version, and what if
                              > > you're in the basement storage room? Would it still work?
                              >
                              >What kind of range are we talking about?
                              >
                              >There are a couple of options. If InfoAge will let us, we can run a
                              >thin two-wire cable to hook up a wired doorbell, or I can hack
                              >something together that will use a longer range RF.
                              >
                              >Peace... Sridhar
                              >
                              > > Yeah. A wireless doorbell. Some of them are pretty cheap.
                              > > Especially used.
                              >

                              >Yahoo! Groups Links

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                              Sponsored Link

                              $420,000 Mortgage for $1,399/month - Think You Pay Too Much For Your Mortgage? Find Out!

                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 16, 2006
                                Yup, the Faraday cages at InfoAge are pretty cool, up in the Hotel attic.  Anyone who hasn't been up there can just take the stairs to the second floor and then keep going up .... it's one heck of a venue for laser tag up there!  But unlike watching your head in the basement, you have to watch your feet in the attic.  Lots of unfinished flooring and other things to trip on.

                                A low tech option would be to have a chalk board that allows a person who is
                                going to the basement for a few minutes to leave their cell phone number
                                (assuming they have a signal in the basement), or at least a "come back in
                                10 minutes" message so that the visitor can gauge their expectations bd

                                At 03:30 PM 11/16/2006 -0500, you wrote:
                                >Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                > > Cool, I didn't think of that. But I just searched and they all list
                                > range
                                > > of a 100 ft. or less. We need a long-range version, and what if
                                > > you're in the basement storage room? Would it still work?
                                >
                                >What kind of range are we talking about?
                                >
                                >There are a couple of options. If InfoAge will let us, we can run a
                                >thin two-wire cable to hook up a wired doorbell, or I can hack
                                >something together that will use a longer range RF.
                                >
                                >Peace... Sridhar
                                >
                                > > Yeah. A wireless doorbell. Some of them are pretty cheap.
                                > > Especially used.
                                >

                                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                Yahoo! Groups Links

                                Sponsored Link

                                $420,000 Mortgage for $1,399/month - Think You Pay Too Much For Your Mortgage? Find Out!

                              • Jeffrey Frady
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 16, 2006
                                  Some pictures of attic available here.