Re: [midatlanticretro] My Trip Back In Time

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 14, 2006
      Ron,

      Kind words. Thanks.

      Jim

      ----- Original Message ----
      From: rkushnier <rkushnier@...>
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, November 12, 2006 2:21:59 PM
      Subject: [midatlanticretro] My Trip Back In Time

      They say, "You can't live in the past". That may be true, but
      sometimes, it's a nice place to visit.

      I again had the opportunity to visit the InfoAge Museum in Wall, New
      Jersey, and see the tremendous progress being made by the volunteers,
      to whip the place into a world-class exhibition.

      I was given a tour of the commercial communications exhibit, which
      encompassed everything from the telegraph to television. It was
      nicely laid out in a modern, well lit exhibit hall, and, "everything
      worked!" Beautifully preserved vintage radios and TVs as well as
      display cases of old radio parts and components, brought back many
      memories. An interesting display approach was provided by using high-
      tech CD-ROM and DVD recordings of old radio and TV shows which were
      then transmitted to the old sets. So, visitors could listen to "The
      Lone Ranger", Jack Benny, and really old re-runs, as they would have
      been heard and seen in "The Days of Yesteryear".

      The computer museum is a work in progress. There is a "Preview Room"
      up and running with displays that include everything from analog
      computers to old Atari, Apple, Commodore, and IBM PCs. Of course,
      computer technology didn't start with the microprocessor. Exhibition
      rooms are being set up to display parts of mainframes and
      minicomputers from manufacturers like DEC, VAX, HP, etc.

      I had a chance to go, "behind the scenes" to view the storeroom
      containing rows and rows of old vintage equipment waiting to be
      inventoried and made ready for display. I also had an opportunity to
      see a fully loaded electronics laboratory that is shared by the
      computer group and the New Jersey Antique Radio Club . WOW! I was
      teleported back to the Sixties! What better way to keep all this old
      gear up and running than with vintage test equipment? Here were older
      Tektronix scopes, function generators, tools, and an assortment of
      parts I hadn't seen in years. It was good to be back!

      There is still lots of work to be done, but the I could already see
      the tremendous potential that InfoAge represents.

      Ron K

    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 15, 2006
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

        > Ron,
        >
        > Kind words. Thanks.
        >
        > Jim

        Jim, my apologies but PLEASE do me a favor.

        I get my MARCH email by the daily summary: several messages sent in
        one email. For some reason, YOUR messages, and only your messages,
        often have a long trail of formatting garbage appended to them. (It
        may also be visible when replying using the Yahoo! "reply" feature
        when reading and replying via the Yahoo! Web interface.) It looks like
        the stuff I've added below, except that I've replaced the "#" mark or
        the "<" or ">" mark with a "?" mark so it won't be treated as formatting.

        I don't know how you put your emails in the MARCH list, but it's a
        minor annoyance to see all that material. Can you determine what
        that's about, and fix it? Thanks for your considerations.

        PS: As it as, a number of MARCH members also post long LONG messages
        which are mostly repeats of previous messages. This too is annoying
        but I give up on asking them to edit their replies. I feel bad for any
        MARCH member who has actual visual impairments who must wade through
        this stuff.

        Herb Johnson

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA

        ?!--

        ?ygrp-mlmsg
        {font-size:13px;font-family:arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;}
        ?ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;}
        ?ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99%
        arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;}
        ?ygrp-mlmsg pre, code {font:115% monospace;}
        ?ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
        ?ygrp-text{
        font-family:Georgia;
        }