Re: [midatlanticretro] Looking for replacement HD for AT&T PC6300

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 14, 2006
      Matt,

      Is this a PC- or AT-class machine? PC machines need a controller that is compatible with the drive. The computer BIOS are not an issue. AT-class machines (ie: 286 clones) moved the HD geometry to the system BIOS. What is the processor in this machine?

      Hopefully someone has what you need despite the thread on recycling.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 16, 2006
        Hey, Jim's was MARCH list message #4,500.  Cool.

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 16, 2006
          Neither... it was a 16 bit bus 8086 box (V30's gave most of the 286 instruction improvements).  The 16 bit bus was 8-bit PC/XT and an 8 bit Olivetti extension.

          The box used Western Digital or other controllers, but the AT&T and Olivetti (and the Xerox version of it) boxes all used an in-bios disk table of cyl/heads/sectors -- the box worked with ST412, ST225, ST251 sized drives on the MFM controller.   I had an 80 mb drive on one once.

          Bill

          Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
          Hey, Jim's was MARCH list message #4,500.  Cool.

          Is this a PC- or AT-class machine? PC machines need a controller that is compatible with the drive. The computer BIOS are not an issue. AT-class machines (ie: 286 clones) moved the HD geometry to the system BIOS. What is the processor in this machine?

          Hopefully someone has what you need despite the thread on recycling.

          Jim

          I am looking for a half hight replacement for ovolitti
          HD in my AT&T pc6300, the seller forgot to park the
          drive before sending me the compute, needless to say
          it was hosed. Looking for something like a 40 meg if
          you guys think that the bios can handle it.

          Thanks,

          Matt

          Sponsored Link

          $420,000 Mortgage for $1,399/month - Think You Pay Too Much For Your Mortgage? Find Out!

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 16, 2006
            So you are saying that one could use an ST 412, ST225, or ST251?

            Bill

            At 05:55 PM 11/16/2006 -0800, you wrote:
            >Neither... it was a 16 bit bus 8086 box (V30's gave most of the 286
            >instruction improvements). The 16 bit bus was 8-bit PC/XT and an 8 bit
            >Olivetti extension.
            >
            >The box used Western Digital or other controllers, but the AT&T and
            >Olivetti (and the Xerox version of it) boxes all used an in-bios disk
            >table of cyl/heads/sectors -- the box worked with ST412, ST225, ST251
            >sized drives on the MFM controller. I had an 80 mb drive on one once.
            >
            >Bill
          • William Pechter
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 17, 2006
              Depends upon the bios revision... With 1.2.1 it was pretty limited.  With (IIRC) 1.4.3
              there were larger choices.  IIRC -- depending upon switch settings  -- you can use either the on-board bios table or a WD1002 controller (MFM or the RLL version)...

              The dip switch settings determined the drive configuration.  You can set it for no drive as well (this is old memory so I may be wrong.)  Then you could use the on-board WD1002-xx roms
              to configure the disk.  Some info is at:

              I couldn't find anything on the quick google search.

              Bill

              "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:
              So you are saying that one could use an ST 412, ST225, or ST251?

              Bill

              At 05:55 PM 11/16/2006 -0800, you wrote:
              >Neither... it was a 16 bit bus 8086 box (V30's gave most of the 286
              >instruction improvements) . The 16 bit bus was 8-bit PC/XT and an 8 bit
              >Olivetti extension.
              >
              >The box used Western Digital or other controllers, but the AT&T and
              >Olivetti (and the Xerox version of it) boxes all used an in-bios disk
              >table of cyl/heads/sectors -- the box worked with ST412, ST225, ST251
              >sized drives on the MFM controller. I had an 80 mb drive on one once.
              >
              >Bill

              Sponsored Link

              $200,000 mortgage for $660/mo - 30/15 yr fixed, reduce debt, home equity - Click now for info

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 17, 2006
                THis is making think that what I should do next is check the hd dip switches, and set to the "none" setting to see if I can bypass the harddrive and get to a prompt.    The hard drive may be preventing the boot sequence from completing.  If this were an IBM the equiv. of a 1701 error.  I have seen IBM PC's where the HD is messed up and the entire boot sequence is prevented.
                bd

                http://www.textfiles.com/phreak/at&tnews