Re: [midatlanticretro] IBM 360 Model 40

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 14, 2006
      Bill and all,

      According to "IBM Colossus in Transition" by Robert Sobel, the 360/40 was the first 360 model shipped in April, 1965. They were a medium size machine for the time (the model 30 was intended to replace the 1401 and larger models were introduced later). Here's a link to this IBM Archives entry for the 360/40 http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/mainframe/mainframe_PP2040.html.

      As part of our collection, a 360/40 would be a fabulous centerpiece of "large computers". I would consider it a static exhibit regardless of what Shridar might say. If we could get a complete 360/40 installation including DASD and a couple tape units, it would be worth doing a fund raising drive to rent a truck large enough to go get it and build a suitable place to exhibit it.

      Jim