recycling how do/getting rid of junk/electronics recycling

  • Bill Pileggi
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 13, 2006
      Dear Jim, et al:
      Just to make sure things are clear: computers are only "haz-mats" as a
      whole, assembled, computer. And as we know, the only hazardous material
      (in any quantity) is the leaded glass in CRTs - which we aren't
      discussing here....[As an aside, our local counties have collected
      computers for the last couple of years as p/o haz-mat days. If you ask
      nicely, you may be allowed to pick through the junk. If you want first
      pick, VOLUNTEER for the morning. I picked up a couple of decent
      original IBM monitors I needed, and one time, a nice piece of vacuum
      tube audio gear - we know where that went :-) ]

      To get some value from the machines, they MUST be taken apart. Steel
      cases gets crushed. We've been able to have them picked up for free by
      a local guy who collects steel. There may be a manufacturing company
      who will let you put in their steel scrap dumpster. Otherwise, placed
      with normal trash. Plastic trim panels get placed with normal trash.

      Motherboards, pull off CPUs, cables, memory, etc. Empty Motherboards
      get placed in cardboard cartons as 'gold scrap'. Cabling - cut off
      connectors and place in 'gold scrap'. The rest of the wire goes into
      (covered) 'wire scrap'. (Note: wire scrap is different than "copper
      scrap". Copper scrap is pure, uncovered, copper. For example, copper
      plumbing pipe. This is worth several times what wire scrap is worth.
      Don't try to remove the insulation, it's a waste of time.) Power
      supply cables - cut off connectors and place in regular trash, wire
      goes in 'wire scrap'. CPUs with gold-plated pins get placed in
      "high-grade" gold-scrap. (I use zip-lock sandwich bags...). Pentium II
      and III in plastic housing (slot 1): use a screwdriver to snap apart
      the case - you'll see an actual cutout along the connector edge where a
      capacitor is mounted on the board. Shove the screwdriver in there and
      and break open. The heatsink plate goes in aluminum scrap. I cut off
      the edge connector with a pair of large tin-snips and put in
      "high-grade". The rest goes in gold scrap.

      Hard disk drives get taken apart. (You'll need a set of TORX drivers:
      T-6 through T-10 and T-15.) Motors get placed in regular trash. Boards
      get placed in 'gold scrap'. Housing, chassis, platters get placed in
      'aluminum scrap'. The magnets are given away at hamfests or placed on
      refrigerator door. (Note: I usually bring several pounds of the magnets
      to hamfests, and they ALWAYS get taken. Caution - they are STRONG. You
      can easily pinch your fingers.) Floppy disk drives with aluminum
      chassis get taken apart. Everything except the aluminum chassis and
      gold plated connector goes in trash.

      ISA/PCI, etc. cards - cut off the gold-plated edge connector with a
      pair of large tin-snips and put in "high-grade". You may also use the
      snips to cut off any other connectors, or simply place the card in gold
      scrap. Memory - cut off the gold plated edge connector with a pair of
      large tin-snips and put in "high-grade". Otherwise, place in trash.
      CDROM drives - break off the gold plated edge connector with a pair of
      LARGE pliers and put in "high-grade". (Note: there is an art to doing
      this in one step. When practicing, remove the bottom cover screws
      first.) The rest is placed in regular trash.

      Open up the phone book and look under "Scrap Metal Dealers". (Any
      decent sized town will have several. Near large cities, you may have
      quite a few choices.) The ones who buy non-ferrous metals, like
      aluminum and copper, most likely will also buy (plastic) covered wire
      and gold scrap. You may also ask for a referal, if they do not buy gold
      scrap. Non-ferrous metals scrap is a competitive business, you may call
      around for the best prices. As a note, until last year, I got 10 cents
      a pound for plastic covered wire. Hardly worth the effort (unless
      you've accumulated 100's of hard disk drive cables). Now, with finished
      copper at $3.30, it's up to 40-45 cents a pound (or more?). Dealers
      also like you to have a couple hundred pounds of scrap at a time, too,
      so it may pay to combine your efforts with others. I take my friend's
      smaller quantities of scrap with me when I go to the scrap dealer. I
      used to sell my gold scrap to variety of people at hamfests, etc. I
      happened to ask my aluminum scrap dealer a few years back if he knew
      local gold-scrap buyers, and he said, yes, him. Now he doesn't pay me
      as much as the guy he sells it to, but it does save me money, going to
      one guy to get rid of it all. And, I'm getting much more than I ever
      got before, relatively speaking. Bill/KA3AIS

      3. recycling how do
      Posted by: "Jim Scheef" jscheef@... jscheef
      Date: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:50 pm ((PST))

      Bill,
      Very interesting. What kind of scrap dealer and where? Here in CT where
      I live one must pay at the recycling center to dispose of old machines
      - except on that annual festival of recycling - Hazardous Materials Day.
      Jim

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 14, 2006
        So how much money can you typically get for an equally typical Pentium-class
        minitower? I ask only because it sounds like a lot of work for a little
        money... of course this whole discussion is (arguably) off-topic... since
        we'd never recycle anything worth collecting! :)

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 14, 2006
          Bill Pileggi wrote:
          > Dear Jim, et al:
          > Just to make sure things are clear: computers are only "haz-mats" as a
          > whole, assembled, computer. And as we know, the only hazardous material
          > (in any quantity) is the leaded glass in CRTs - which we aren't
          > discussing here....[As an aside, our local counties have collected
          > computers for the last couple of years as p/o haz-mat days. If you ask
          > nicely, you may be allowed to pick through the junk. If you want first
          > pick, VOLUNTEER for the morning. I picked up a couple of decent
          > original IBM monitors I needed, and one time, a nice piece of vacuum
          > tube audio gear - we know where that went :-) ]

          I have some machines that have mercury tilt-switches.

          Peace... Sridhar
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 14, 2006
            Bill,

            Like Evan implied, recycling is the antithesis of collecting. Even so, my first thought was how could MARCH put this to use. Right now the absolute last thing we need at InfoAge would be several boxes of stuff *intended* for the scrap dealer. Your approach is very illuminating. Personally I don't see enough of this stuff to make it worthwhile, however, like you said, when combined with a few other people's junk, it could work.

            OTOH, I hate to think of how many 20-30M hard drives you recycled years ago in one 200lb load that could now be used to make our early microcomputers operational again. What was once junk is now oh so collectible! Oh well...

            Jim

            Posted by: "Jim Scheef" jscheef@yahoo. com jscheef

[...]

            Visit http://www.juno. com/value to sign up today!

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Bill Pileggi
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 14, 2006
              Evan, Not a lot of money in it. Minimally $2, to $4(at most) each.
              However, since we all(?) open up the computers we're given to see
              what's inside, half the work is done. It only takes 1-2 minutes to
              liberate the motherboard, cables, CPU and cards. When you aren't being
              careful about it, amazing how fast it can be accomplished. I pile all
              the HDDs into a box and take them all apart at once when I want to
              watch TV or a movie.

              I'm still collecting CPUs (have any 487s to share?)(still looking for
              certain 286 and 386 chips), VGA cards, some sound cards, so I HAVE TO
              open up the box to see the innards.

              If you have a kid, and a garage/basement full of junker computers
              (nothing classic!), an afternoon's worth of work (sitting down, no
              less!) could yield the kid $50-100+ or more... Bill KA3AIS

              Posted by: "Evan Koblentz" evan@... evan947